Driving to Disney... to drive or not to drive, that is the question!?!

DfromATX

ROADTRIP! We love the drive from Texas! 6 of us packed into a Suburban plus luggage is hilarious! You can't see out the back window! We couldn’t afford to fly with all that stuff! It really is a good bonding time! We’ve stopped at Vicksburg to see the battle ground, Mobil to see the battleship, the coast many times. We look at it as another opportunity to make memories with family. The drive home is a bit sad, but it gives you time to wind down before the real world comes crashing back! Plus you have more room to take back all the Disney stuff you bought!

Where from in TX? We're in Austin, there's 6 of us, and we also have a comfy Suburban, but I don't think I could handle it lol!

OswaldTheRabbit

We've always found decent airline tickets. It's not worth the time to drive to me. I would hate driving that far. My husband would love it, but when he suggests it, I tell him I'll meet him there!

We have found cheap flights every time too up until this year! We are going to drive for the first time in June because flights are $1600 for a family of 4!!!!!

The airlines are killing me but I think we can do the 12 hr drive.

Oh how I miss the $120 round trip flights from southwest!!!!!

How far is too far to drive to WDW? How far have you driven from? Is it really worth saving the air fare? I'm from the northeast and Google says it would take me about 17 hours to drive. Unless you're an RV family and into the journey as part of your vacation, I don't see that as practical. "Save up and fly right", that's my motto! What's your opinion?
I live in Northeastern PA and when I go to Disney I stay over at a hotel in SC/ GA area. It is cheaper to drive. On the way home I leave at 6 AM and get home at 10-11 PM. I also have 3 kids so you know I have to go bathroom every state. Use gas tracker sites gas is cheaper in NC and SC.

Last edited:

Figgy1

I live in Northeastern PA and when I go to Disney I stay over at a hotel in SC/ GA area. It is cheaper to drive. On the way home I live at 6 AM and get home at 10-11 PM. I also have 3 kids so you know I have to go bathroom every state. Use gas tracker sites gas is cheaper in NC and SC.
We always fill up in SC even if we don't need to! More money for shopping!

donaldtoo

We wouldn't drive to WDW on a bet. Our family has plenty of great memories of road trips to all sorts of destinations, but when it comes to WDW, we just wanna' BE THERE ASAP!
Put my beeeeehind in that Southwest seat along with a coupla'-ish ;) adult beverages and we're there in 3-ish hrs. instead of 22-ish...! :)

Goofyernmost

We wouldn't drive to WDW on a bet. Our family has plenty of great memories of road trips to all sorts of destinations, but when it comes to WDW, we just wanna' BE THERE ASAP!
Put my beeeeehind in that Southwest seat along with a coupla'-ish ;) adult beverages and we're there in 3-ish hrs. instead of 22-ish...! :)
Let this be a lesson. Moderation is a good thing. Apparently if you can cut down the number of ish'es by 19 it will then become enjoyable. Too many ish'es will spoil the soup. :p

FigmentFan1975

We've driven 2 out of 3 times, and are planning to drive again this summer - about 15 hours (from northern Delaware/Philly area) and its worth it to us! We flew once for the experience with our kids and we had a great deal on airfare, but with 4 of us, we can save a ton of money by driving. We drive straight thru overnight so we even save time as well. Last time we drove in 2009, our kids were 8 and 6, and it was actually fun. We leave around 6:30pm, take turns driving so we can still nap too, and stop for breakfast right before the Florida border usually around 7am. Then its just 3 hours or so until Disney and we get there by Noon! We have our car with us if we need, and it almost saves time over flying since in order to arrive by Noon, we'd have to get an early morning flight and leave our house really early anyhow, so driving straigt thru overnight works well for us. No traffic to deal with either that way, and kids sleep most of drive so that works well too. We just take it easy the first day there, swim, relax, and we are good to go and hit the parks the next morning!

Figgy1

We've driven 2 out of 3 times, and are planning to drive again this summer - about 15 hours (from northern Delaware/Philly area) and its worth it to us! We flew once for the experience with our kids and we had a great deal on airfare, but with 4 of us, we can save a ton of money by driving. We drive straight thru overnight so we even save time as well. Last time we drove in 2009, our kids were 8 and 6, and it was actually fun. We leave around 6:30pm, take turns driving so we can still nap too, and stop for breakfast right before the Florida border usually around 7am. Then its just 3 hours or so until Disney and we get there by Noon! We have our car with us if we need, and it almost saves time over flying since in order to arrive by Noon, we'd have to get an early morning flight and leave our house really early anyhow, so driving straigt thru overnight works well for us. No traffic to deal with either that way, and kids sleep most of drive so that works well too. We just take it easy the first day there, swim, relax, and we are good to go and hit the parks the next morning!
I like the way you think!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Less than 18hrs isn't that bad once you've done it and plan accordingly. It's one day.. and gas costs tend to be about 1-2 airline tickets depending.. Plus you don't have to deal with stupid airline restrictions on packing, etc.

Flying certainly is shorter.. and that's appreciated.. but economics often dictate the drive. The drive isn't hard.. now those that make a 2-3 day drive.. that I'd have a lot harder time accepting.. but to each their own :)

donaldtoo

Let this be a lesson. Moderation is a good thing. Apparently if you can cut down the number of ish'es by 19 it will then become enjoyable. Too many ish'es will spoil the soup. :p

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I cut down the number of "ish'es" in that post by 19 I'd be at -16 "ish'es", so wouldn't I then be owing "ish'es"...? :confused: :rolleyes: :D

Just be thankful I didn't fill up the post with a lotta' "like", as in...
"We like wouldn't like drive like to like WDW like on like a like bet." Etc., etc., etc. :p ;)

Meredith

I am definetly lucky because for 5 years of my life I was in Florida so we just drove 3 hours. Now I am in North Carolina so we just fly every 1 or 2 times a year. I think that any more then 10 hours or 6 hours if you got small kids should be substituted for flying.

Goofyernmost

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I cut down the number of "ish'es" in that post by 19 I'd be at -16 "ish'es", so wouldn't I then be owing "ish'es"...? :confused: :rolleyes: :D

Just be thankful I didn't fill up the post with a lotta' "like", as in...
"We like wouldn't like drive like to like WDW like on like a like bet." Etc., etc., etc. :p ;)
Nope...you take 19 ish'es from the 22 ish'es you said that driving takes and you get 3 ish'es and the perfect time via plane. :D Man, I'm sure glad that I paid attention in Ish class when I was in school. Had that class every Wednesday instead of gym.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom