Drinking Water Quality

Eyorefan

Some people may not like the taste of the water, but it will not make you sick. If you are worried I agree with the pervious poster who suggested bringing a filtered water bottle. they aren't that expensive and will save you a ton of money in the long run.

(Off topic, but I generally take issue with the idea of water as a privately owed commodity that can be bought and sold for profit so I try to stay away from bottled water as much as possible.)

DivineMadness7

Contrary to what has been said in this thread - drinking FL tap water will not give you a stomach ache.

So you've tested every tap all over Florida? People have different tolerances for what their stomaches agree and do not agree with. Maybe it didn't give you a stomach ache, but that doesn't mean EVERY person had the same reaction. Will it make you fatally ill? no. But it could upset someone with a sensitive stomach or give them the big D. Who wants to risk that on vacation? OH but you're so certain it won't. When traveling from the opposite end of the country (or another country all together) the rule for travel is simple: try to avoid drinking tap water if possible.

DivineMadness7

The water is perfectly safe for human consumption. Sounds like a psychosomatic illness to me.

You've clearly never heard of Montezuma's revenge.:rolleyes:

Now, of course that is the term for drinking Mexican water, but as someone with a sensitive stomach, who is used to well water and recently had a gall bladder removal....the big D is a very real thing. Why don't you cool down before you assume how others react to things until you live a day in their bodies.

I'm also someone who is environmentally conscious and avoids using bottled water at home/everyday life. BUT in the case of travel, bottled water is a must. Any expert would tell you that.

KingStefan

So you've tested every tap all over Florida? People have different tolerances for what their stomaches agree and do not agree with. Maybe it didn't give you a stomach ache, but that doesn't mean EVERY person had the same reaction. Will it make you fatally ill? no. But it could upset someone with a sensitive stomach or give them the big D. Who wants to risk that on vacation? OH but you're so certain it won't. When traveling from the opposite end of the country (or another country all together) the rule for travel is simple: try to avoid drinking tap water if possible.

Well said. You know your own "constitution". Every area's tap water has a different makeup of mineral content, chemicals, and flora and fauna. It even changes over very short distances (between resorts and parks, for example) and over time and with the seasons as well.

I happen to like the water in WDW and the Orlando area in general. Sometimes I detect a bit of sulphur smell, but that had never bothered me. I drink lots of tap water, especially in the parks. On some trips, I've had a bit of "irregularity" the first day or two, then my system adjusted.

But it's important to remember - everyone is different. If you travel frequently and have no problem with different tap water, then go for it. I think it's just great, and it saves us some money. Otherwise, use caution. "Braver souls" may want to try drinking a bit the first day or so, and see how it goes. But if you are the sensitive type, and even the fact that it tastes a bit different will make you feel sick, then don't do it.

krankenstein

Now, of course that is the term for drinking Mexican water, but as someone with a sensitive stomach, who is used to well water and recently had a gall bladder removal....the big D is a very real thing. Why don't you cool down before you assume how others react to things until you live a day in their bodies.

I'm also someone who is environmentally conscious and avoids using bottled water at home/everyday life. BUT in the case of travel, bottled water is a must. Any expert would tell you that.

I have a highly sensitive stomach, having been on medicine on and off for my entire life because of it. The water hasn't ever given me a stomach ache or bothers me at all. I understand where you are coming from and I am highly sensitive to your situation b/c well "I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt." I am just saying it has never given me a problem. :shrug:

automagic

The reason Florida water is harder is b/c it is filtered though clay and sandy soil naturally. I am not saying they don't add minerals to it, but the soil acts as a natural filter for the water which mostly comes from rain. When it runs though the sand and clay it picks up extra minerals lake water or river water doesn't hence the "hard" taste it has to many of you.

This is not exactly true in Florida. Although some may refer to hardness as a measure of dissolved minerals, it is mostly a measure of dissolved calcuim and magnesium content in water. Most of the hardness in the water here comes from the dissolution of limestone ,dolomite, and gypsum, which enriches the calcium and magnesium content (hardness) of the water. Most of the drinking water is obtained from the Floridian aquifer (limestone rock) which is confined by impermeable layers of clays and sands. Limestone is comprised of the mineral calcite which is calcium carbonate. People with hard water often complain about "lime" deposits on their showers, sinks, and plumbing and often obtain lime remover at the hardware store. People living in regions of the U.S. that have a groundwater from a limestone aquifer have hard water and lime problems.

Since you dig geology, I suggest you take a look at the USGS site that explains groundwater dynamics in west central Florida. Also, remember that lakes and rivers are recharged by groundwater from surficial and deep aquifers too.

http://water.usgs.gov/ogw/karst/kigconference/abt_karstfeatures.htm

Oh, yeah, I learned all this in the several Geology classes I took in college from a professor who is water expert. He basically teaches college and studies water for the state of Georgia for a living.

Who was your professor?

krankenstein

This is not exactly true in Florida. Although some may refer to hardness as a measure of dissolved minerals, it is mostly a measure of dissolved calcuim and magnesium content in water. Most of the hardness in the water here comes from the dissolution of limestone ,dolomite, and gypsum, which enriches the calcium and magnesium content (hardness) of the water. Most of the drinking water is obtained from the Floridian aquifer (limestone rock) which is confined by impermeable layers of clays and sands. Limestone is comprised of the mineral calcite which is calcium carbonate. People with hard water often complain about "lime" deposits on their showers, sinks, and plumbing and often obtain lime remover at the hardware store. People living in regions of the U.S. that have a groundwater from a limestone aquifer have hard water and lime problems.

Since you dig geology, I suggest you take a look at the USGS site that explains groundwater dynamics in west central Florida. Also, remember that lakes and rivers are recharged by groundwater from surficial and deep aquifers too.

http://water.usgs.gov/ogw/karst/kigconference/abt_karstfeatures.htm

Who was your professor?

That's basically what I was referring to, but I didn't want to get all technical and into all the reasons why. I am going to PM you his name for his privacy.

DivineMadness7

I have a highly sensitive stomach, having been on medicine on and off for my entire life because of it. The water hasn't ever given me a stomach ache or bothers me at all. I understand where you are coming from and I am highly sensitive to your situation b/c well "I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt." I am just saying it has never given me a problem. :shrug:

And that's fine, I'm just pointing out that it isn't/won't be the same for everyone. I would rather tell people to be cautious than tell them "oh, it's fine" and them cursing me out in their head when they are running to the restroom every 5 minutes!

krankenstein

And that's fine, I'm just pointing out that it isn't/won't be the same for everyone. I would rather tell people to be cautious than tell them "oh, it's fine" and them cursing me out in their head when they are running to the restroom every 5 minutes!

True, true, I got what you are saying. I was just pointing out basically what you were saying, it is different for everyone. We are 2 people with the same condition and have been effected differently by it. That's all I meant by my post.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

No cooling down necessary. :shrug: Sorry you read too much into my two short sentences.

If you don't like it, by all means buy the bottled water.

phlydude

Just remember, MK water tastes the worst, AK water tastes the best. Epcot is 2nd worse and DHS is 2nd best...see a trend?
Age of park and filtration systems used for the water fountains makes a big difference.

I don't mind the water...in fact, I think it smells like 20 Mule Team Borax used when doing laundry. A little acidic, a sulphur-like but OK. Yeah, it smells different but it is fine.

And as far as bottled water, I can't stand that Zephyr Hills stuff they sell down there. Dasani or Deer Park/Poland Spring for me (Zephyr doesn't quench, it feels slimey on my tongue - perhaps softened?)

kcw

From talking to people, and this thread, and another thread that was posted a little while about this....I think the general consensus (with some exceptions of course), is that if you live in FL, or maybe in a nearby state, that the water doesn't bother you, and if you don't, then you don't much care for it.

I'm from the opposite coast, and can't stand the water. Every morning it smelled like I was showering in rotten eggs, and it really tasted like I was just drinking straight sulfur. It was interesting because some of my roommates agreed, some only barely noticed it, and some saw absolutely no problem with it....

a few people have mentioned water bottles with fliters- do they really work well? and where do you get them??

krankenstein

a few people have mentioned water bottles with fliters- do they really work well? and where do you get them??

They work well, go on amazon and search for water bottle filter and you will get a lot of different choices. I hope that helps!

MissM

And as far as bottled water, I can't stand that Zephyr Hills stuff they sell down there. Dasani or Deer Park/Poland Spring for me (Zephyr doesn't quench, it feels slimey on my tongue - perhaps softened?)
Zephyrhills is one word. It's the name of the city that the original, natural spring was found. And, sorry you don't like it, but it's the the most popular around here, sold everywhere and locals - like myself - love it because it's nothing like tap. Nothing's done to it since it's sourced from natural, underground springs.

The Dasani is just filtered tap water from municipal sources. Coke has a bottling plant in the region and they use regular old tap water as the base. So if you don't like normal Florida water, you might not like the Dasani. (Or Pepsi's Aquafina for that matter. Same basic thing.) If you can chug it fast enough when it's ice cold, you can avoid the "dead" or "flat" taste of it but once it warms up, it's pretty bleck. I add things like Natural Lemon to it to make it more palatable since it's the only water option sold in the parks.
-m

BrerVeritas

I don't know if its the water in general or just my experience. But, when I was there last summer, I had many a fountain drink, that after the ice melted, tasted an awful lot like the Pirates of the Carribean water smells.

tooltime

:hurl:

we have only been to WDW once but i could not believe how bad the water smelled and tasted. it smelled like the water in the lakes/bays around the park.

we live in a small mountain town so it was a real contrast.

photoflight

Zephyrhills is one word. It's the name of the city that the original, natural spring was found. And, sorry you don't like it, but it's the the most popular around here, sold everywhere and locals - like myself - love it because it's nothing like tap. Nothing's done to it since it's sourced from natural, underground springs.

I usually can't stand any of the Zephyrhills branded (owned by Nestle) water. It's better than typical tap water, but just barely.

By the way - Zephyrhills "spring water" is from a variety a springs around the state. The water goes through a micro-filteration and disinfectant process before bottling.

Zephyrhills "drinking water" is tap water that is filtered and processed before bottling.

KingStefan

Just remember, MK water tastes the worst, AK water tastes the best. Epcot is 2nd worse and DHS is 2nd best...see a trend?
Age of park and filtration systems used for the water fountains makes a big difference.

I don't mind the water...in fact, I think it smells like 20 Mule Team Borax used when doing laundry. A little acidic, a sulphur-like but OK. Yeah, it smells different but it is fine.

That's a very interesting observation! I never thought about it before.

First, I'm trying to remember whether I agree with your assessments. Since I don't mind the water there, it's difficult for me to recall.

However, if I accept your assessments, then it could also be geographical (as opposed to age) related. AK if furthest south/west, whereas MK is furthest north/east.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom