Drinking Water Issues

crassmonkey

Ok, so at this point I have almost every aspect of our trip planned (Thanks to all you awesome people and your invaluable help!)

But the one thing I'm still trying to figure out is the best way to take care of drinking water while in the parks.
I refuse to pay the insane bottle water price that WDW charges, and I have heard many times that the water fountains taste pretty gross.
I had thought about having water delivered to the resort from the grocery store (Garden Grocer) but seems like a pain and kind of expensive.

We won't have a car as we are using WDW transportation for everything.

Can someone give me a really good idea for solving my water problem?

thanks! :wave:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Great, now I'm gonna have that song in my head the rest of the day... :lol:

26.gif

"Deep In the Armpit Of Texas"

Let me just clarify that the whole state of Texas has not been under a boil warning....Some of us live upstream. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

MissM

Some people just refuse to drink tap water! :shrug:

I think it's a pretentious thing, "I'm not going to drink the same water that the local peons drink."
That's a very ignorant thing to say. Contrary to popular belief, not all tap water is safe or good these days. Used to be. Isn't always now. Water in the Tampa Bay Area is processed with a combination of chlorine and ammonia. You need special filters to remove it or you will kill fish.

It makes your shower head look like this:
shower-head.jpg

(And yes, I do clean but the hard, nasty, ORANGE build up happens no matter how ontop of it you are.)

I have a Britta faucet-mount filter, but that just makes it useful for cooking and such. I would love to be able to drink the tap water. I grew up drinking it in PA. But down here, it's horrible, hard, and toxic. It has nothing to do with "status" or being "pretentious." If you can drink your tap water wherever you live and it's good and fresh and clean - consider yourself lucky. But don't pass judgment on those of us who aren't so fortunate.
-m

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
That's a very ignorant thing to say. Contrary to popular belief, not all tap water is safe or good these days. Used to be. Isn't always now. Water in the Tampa Bay Area is processed with a combination of chlorine and ammonia. You need special filters to remove it or you will kill fish.

It makes your shower head look like this:
shower-head.jpg

(And yes, I do clean but the hard, nasty, ORANGE build up happens no matter how ontop of it you are.)

I have a Britta faucet-mount filter, but that just makes it useful for cooking and such. I would love to be able to drink the tap water. I grew up drinking it in PA. But down here, it's horrible, hard, and toxic. It has nothing to do with "status" or being "pretentious." If you can drink your tap water wherever you live and it's good and fresh and clean - consider yourself lucky. But don't pass judgment on those of us who aren't so fortunate.
-m

Get off your soapbox.

The bottled water issue wasn't even around when WDW opened. It is a manifestation of good marketing by the likes of the CocaCola Co.

Do you really think that the water has changed in the last 20 years?

And most tap water anywhere will kill fish, that's not just a Tampa thing, it ALL must be treated.

Upvote 0

MissM

Get off your soapbox.

The bottled water issue wasn't even around when WDW opened. It is a manifestation of good marketing by the likes of the CocaCola Co.

Do you really think that the water has changed in the last 20 years?

And most tap water anywhere will kill fish, that's not just a Tampa thing, it ALL must be treated.
THE TREATED WATER KILLS FISH. Not the untreated stuff. And because they use ammonia it requires a unique type of filter. Your standard filters can't remove the toxins. Also, people who use dialysis or who are immuno compromised ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DRINK OR USE THE TREATED WATER.

But, surrrre. That's just Coke marketing talking.
screwy.gif

-m

Upvote 0
I've always found Orlando-area public water supply to have a horrible taste and smell, but it seemed like on our trip last week, the water at Disney resort and parks wasn't too bad....

The first time I went to WDW...I got the bends so bad from the water:brick: I usually avoid the tap water as much as I can for that very reason.

From what I know, the awful taste of the water is due to a lot of sulphur found naturally in the water. I heard this from a person who has lived in Florida for years.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
THE TREATED WATER KILLS FISH. Not the untreated stuff. And because they use ammonia it requires a unique type of filter. Your standard filters can't remove the toxins. Also, people who use dialysis or who are immuno compromised ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DRINK OR USE THE TREATED WATER.

But, surrrre. That's just Coke marketing talking.
screwy.gif

-m

That's exactly what I said. You must treat all tap water before using it for fish.

STOP YELLING AT ME. :mad:

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

Have you tried the Propel flavor packets? I prefer those because they are not an overpowering fruit taste. I like just plain water too but I can't stand the taste of Florida water. :hurl:

Yes I'm one of those sickos that actually does'nt mind the water at disney, the chlorine, bleachy taste is ok by me .

Oh as a side note I do understand about not paying $ 3- $3. 50 for bottled water , It can be crazy, but you are at disney .We we're at a local county fair yesterday and bought bottled water for $1.00 yes just $1.00, had to laugh you usually can't find it that cheap unless you buy it yourself hubby and I said to each other " yes in 3 weeks we'll be paying 3.50"(we're not complaing though), it is crazy but when your thirsty and its hot....I'll pay $10 , although Ice cold beer at AK is just as good!!!

Upvote 0

crassmonkey

Original Poster
I love that my question about the best way to get good tasting water into the parks has become a flame war about how water kills fish and ruins shower heads.

Sometimes you guys are just plain funny to me. I guess now that you can't argue about the wand, it's moving on to.....water. :brick:

Oh how the mouse would disapprove!!

Get a life people! :animwink:

Upvote 0

Trishnh

Yes I'm one of those sickos that actually does'nt mind the water at disney, the chlorine, bleachy taste is ok by me .

Oh as a side note I do understand about not paying $ 3- $3. 50 for bottled water , It can be crazy, but you are at disney .We we're at a local county fair yesterday and bought bottled water for $1.00 yes just $1.00, had to laugh you usually can't find it that cheap unless you buy it yourself hubby and I said to each other " yes in 3 weeks we'll be paying 3.50"(we're not complaing though), it is crazy but when your thirsty and its hot....I'll pay $10 , although Ice cold beer at AK is just as good!!!

It is actually **only** $2 a bottle so you are already saving money:ROFLOL:

I cannot drink the water there at all--I end up with serious gastro-intestinal problems:hurl: :eek: I usually pack a suitcase with as much water as I can, then buy the rest there. Fortunately the water does not affect my kids as bad to we just refill their bottles and bring alon the Kool-aid singles for them to flavor the water. This also helps since i have an empty siutcase to fill with souveniers:D

I have never heard that Costco offers free shipping on the water..I will definitely look into that next time.

Upvote 0

SANDKRUSER

My whole family thinks the water is awful on property, and if you get a warm drinking fountain - yuck!:hurl: It's my understanding that Disney has their own water supply and filtration system which is different from the rest of Orlando.

Anyways - we always use a Brita bottle but because you can't get them anymore, I also found these - which are nice because they fit on regular water bottles. I know someone else mentioned it, but Disney has no problem with giving you free ice (or water) so I just go up to any counter service or food kiosk and ask for ice and then fill it from the drinking fountain or have them give me a little water. The ice melts fast and everyone has cold filtered water. We don't carry around a full bottle - we just fill it when we're thirsty so you don't have a full water bottle sloshing around when you're walking (or the weight - I know - it's not much but when the rest of the family puts everything in your bag - like a pack mule - Moms-you know what I'm talking about - every little bit counts).

I even use it in our room in the morning because I can hardly stand to brush my teeth with the chlorine smell, much less drink it. It's amazing how well the filters work - the water tastes great. And I can't begin to think of how much money we saved over the years. I'd rather spend my $2.50 on a souvenir.

http://www.purewater2go.com/index-3_1new.html

Upvote 0

dizzney

We can't stand the taste of teh FLorida water, we usually drive so it hasn't been an issue since I'll pack two cases from Costco, but this time we flew and I used Garden grocer for the first time, they weren't bad so I got my water there, We did buy in the parks if we ran out as it was just so hot and I prefer that we drink water and not anything else in the heat, The large bottles were $2.00 and the small $1.25.

Anyone know where you call for the Costco delivery?

Upvote 0

Scooter

Here's what my wife and I do.

Buy a bottle of Propel. It has a wide neck. We get the one with the sports top so we don't have to keep screwing and unscrewing the lid to get a drink.

Drink the Propel and wash the bottle before you leave for your vacation.
Have your wife or someone handy with a sewing machine make you a bottle cover with a draw string. My wife made ours from a small Disney towel we bought on our last trip. You keep the bottle in here when you are at the park and it absorbs any sweat from the bottle. It also acts as an insulator.

When you wake up every morning, get some ice from your resort ice machine, then fill up your Propel bottle with ice. (here's where the wide mouth bottles come in handy) Add a little water but not too much. Put it back into the bottle cozy and draw the string tight. You will have iced cold water that will last for about 6 hours.

We also found that if you ask the venders nicely, they will give you free ice refills.

Upvote 0

sdwsq2005

Water bottles

We ordered two of the heavy duty sport bottlesand they were fantastic!
http://www.innovapurewater.com/html/products/all_water_filtration_products.htm We filled them with some ice and water in the room, put them in the backpack and refilled them as needed during the day. The water tasted great no matter where we refilled them. (No, we did NOT drop them over the side on the Jungle Cruise.) Ours ran about $9.00 a piece, but we've used them on countless occasions since, so they were worth it.
Hope this helps,
Sheila

Upvote 0

Timmay

Some people just refuse to drink tap water! :shrug:

I think it's a pretentious thing, "I'm not going to drink the same water that the local peons drink."

You thought wrong, it's not an issue with "tap water' or snobbery...please don't be ignorant and get off your high horse!!

I drink tap water at home all the time...I like the stuff. But the water at WDW tastes to me like it came directly from a swamp. I can't even stomach the ice. Back home, bottle water at a sporting event or amusement park is 3.50 to 4 dollars a bottle. 2 bucks a Disney is pretty darn good.

Upvote 0
I've always found Orlando-area public water supply to have a horrible taste and smell, but it seemed like on our trip last week, the water at Disney resort and parks wasn't too bad....

So its not just in the parks that the water tasted like it should have been divereted to a treatment plant one more time? I'm glad to hear that, I was starting to think it was a Eisner conspiracy to taint all the water in the parks so you'ld have to buy Disney's water.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom