Dream vs. Magic

thewhitequeen

Original Poster
Aside from the obvious, what would my family be missing if we did the Magic vs. the Dream? Being a non-cruiser, I'm not so sure I'd like the monstrosity of the Dream ship but I like the idea of the newer technology ship.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Having been on both I really did not find the dream too monstrous. The Magic is still a great ship but every thing felt fresher, newer and more updated on the Dream. If I had to choose the Dream would win every time but I would not forgo a cruise because I had to go on the Magic.

thewhitequeen

Original Poster
I know this sounds odd, but I really want an inside stateroom and it seems every 5 night cruise I've looked at (haven't booked yet) the inside rooms are gone. This is for 2012 too! :confused: I wonder if staterooms will open up?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know this sounds odd, but I really want an inside stateroom and it seems every 5 night cruise I've looked at (haven't booked yet) the inside rooms are gone. This is for 2012 too! :confused: I wonder if staterooms will open up?
The addition of that virtual port hole has made those room quite popular. Also the designers did everything they could to increase the number of exterior rooms at the expense of the number of interior rooms. If my memory is correct there are only 150 (12% of the total) inside staterooms on the Dream where as 25% of the rooms are inside on the Magic.

thewhitequeen

Original Poster
I want the inside because I'm told (could be wrong) that the inside have a better ride for a potentially seasick passenger.

sweetpee_1993

On the Dream & Fantasy, because of the limited number of inside staterooms with the high demand, often those staterooms cost more than the ocean view (porthole). I noticed that. Lol! If inside is not available and you have to go with ocean view it's not an automatic ticket to sea sickness. Try to get a room mid-ship from front to back and on a deck as close to the middle vertically as possible (I think this would be 7 or so???...can't remember the number of decks this second). Also, if you talk to your doctor you can get the patch & or prescription meds juuuust in case. My inlaws are very prone to motion sickness and just returned from their first cruise. They were on RC's Allure of the Seas which is considerably larger than Disney's new ships. They used the patch and did fine. MiL said the most she noticed the motion was in the bathroom because when you're sitting there you could see the towels gently sway. Lol!

You'll do fine. In fact, with all the activities I bet you'll have a totally fab time.
:wave:

sweetpee_1993

Aaaaand..... Worst case with the sea sickness you can do what my best friend's dad did for me when I got voraciously ill the first time I went out on the Atlantic with them on their 55 foot sailboat. The seas were probably 4 to 5 feet. That's the only time I've ever been sea sick. I guess I was about 13 or 14. He gave me 2 Dramamine with a small tumbler of scotch on the rocks then some water. I passed out on the bed nearest the center of the boat and didn't wake up until we were docking back in the marina. I was cured!
:lol:

mickeysshoes

Aaaaand..... Worst case with the sea sickness you can do what my best friend's dad did for me when I got voraciously ill the first time I went out on the Atlantic with them on their 55 foot sailboat. The seas were probably 4 to 5 feet. That's the only time I've ever been sea sick. I guess I was about 13 or 14. He gave me 2 Dramamine with a small tumbler of scotch on the rocks then some water. I passed out on the bed nearest the center of the boat and didn't wake up until we were docking back in the marina. I was cured!
:lol:

:lol::ROFLOL:

:ROFLOL::lol:

thewhitequeen

Original Poster
I imagine if booze were the answer to sea sickness, it'd be a pretty rowdy cruise OR, everyone would be passed out in their cabins. Dramamine and alcohol just isn't a good mix. HA!

sweetpee_1993

I imagine if booze were the answer to sea sickness, it'd be a pretty rowdy cruise OR, everyone would be passed out in their cabins. Dramamine and alcohol just isn't a good mix. HA!

Probably not a good idea in general or with large numbers of people but it worked for me at the time. I look back now, particularly as a mom, and think WOW! :lol:

sweetpee_1993

1,600 jobs available on the new Disney Dream.....

only 100 of those jobs went to Americans!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that the majority of the crew on any cruise ship, not just Disney Cruise Line or Disney's Dream, are comprised of mostly nationalities other than American. From all the reading I've done, this seems to add to the adventure - meeting people from other countries, etc.

thewhitequeen

Original Poster
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that the majority of the crew on any cruise ship, not just Disney Cruise Line or Disney's Dream, are comprised of mostly nationalities other than American. From all the reading I've done, this seems to add to the adventure - meeting people from other countries, etc.

That's what I thought. I also thought there were only 1400 staff on the dream to begin with - Disney fired everyone? :eek: Hey, what do I know - I've never been on a cruise. Perhaps Pygy can enlighten us with his expert cruise knowledge. :)

sweetpee_1993

I'm terrible with numbers. I switch digits & confuse them a lot. I couldn't tell ya numbers. I've not been on my first cruise yet but have done a TON of reading all over trying to familiarize myself. The general consensus (also from my brother-in-law who is very experienced with cruising on other cruise lines) is that the majority of the crews are always nationalities other than ours. I find that quite fascinating....:D

Disneyfalcon

That's correct! Most cruise line employees are foreign on any cruise line.

One of the reasons is the ships aren't registered in the United States. They are not subject to US laws like minimum wage and labor laws.

Most employees are from countries where the meager wages they make with the cruise line go a long way to supporting their families back home.

The honest truth is most Americans won't work for that little.

NCL has a ship in Hawaii that is registered in the US. It's the only way you can have inter-Island Hawaii cruises. They have a great deal of crew from the US.

thewhitequeen

Original Poster
We've been to vacation destinations where the staff was non-American and have always received wonderful service. Matter of fact it has traditionally been better and the people are just nicer all around. I'm not sure if the people working have a better work ethic or if they are just generally thankful to have a job working. Some Americans can be a brazen bunch.

Disneyfalcon

We've been to vacation destinations where the staff was non-American and have always received wonderful service. Matter of fact it has traditionally been better and the people are just nicer all around. I'm not sure if the people working have a better work ethic or if they are just generally thankful to have a job working. Some Americans can be a brazen bunch.

I have always been amazed by not only the quality of service, but the attitudes and general niceness of the crew. The janitor I pass when I'm getting on the elevator doesn't have to smile and say hi - but he does. The room stewards who aren't my room steward and won't get tipped by me don't have to greet me when I'm walking down the hall - but they do!

And the list goes on and on.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom