News Dragon caught fire in today’s Festival of Fantasy parade

donsullivan

Premium Member
One Question Will the Castle float make a return for the dragon ........Just kidding....

But the real Question is will they continue the parade and Will the dragon Float be back.....

It’s really sad DisneyWorld only Has one Parade
with 4 parks and this happens ......... Atleast they still have that Street Party.......(yikes)
They’ll just run the parade without that one float. In that regard it’s no different than if the float was offline for maintenance or other repairs.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Many of the paths within theme parks are designed to accommodate fire trucks. Building and fire prevention codes require fire truck access to buildings and so guest walkways double as that access.

Awesome! Thank you! Some of these attractions are so advanced, it's cool to think about how Disney prepares in the event of a freak accident like a fire or even something so bizarre as scattered ashes.

Kevin_W

That after picture shows nothing really burned up... melted, but not burned.

The combustion wasn't a material burning, it was the expulsion of the propane run amok (AMOK! AMOK! AMOK!) that caused the flames.

So, not a case of failing to fire-proof, but a failing of the propane regulator(s).

Exactly. I know snap judgments from miles and miles away are what the internet is for, but for people saying the float should have been fireproof, it certainly looks like it is. The fuel burned, but it the float itself was combustible that could have been a much bigger mess.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
That after picture shows nothing really burned up... melted, but not burned.

The combustion wasn't a material burning, it was the expulsion of the propane run amok (AMOK! AMOK! AMOK!) that caused the flames.

So, not a case of failing to fire-proof, but a failing of the propane regulator(s).

Quick, someone call Hank Hill

note2001

Not Disney, but still memorizing to watch, and to those of us who like to study how various animatronics are built, the final shots give the full skeleton.

note2001

That's metal!
Looks like, but probably some petroleum based hydraulic fluid in there, the wires are all covered in plastic that burns, tubing burns, some residual fuel perhaps, even though I'm sure the saftey valve was shut by the operator when this first occured.

rvtraveller

Original Poster
So is there a fire extinguisher onboard that was used or was one grabbed nearby?

My understanding was that the driver had a fire extinguisher onboard with him (supposedly all moving floats/vehicles do). By my count the parade techs hauled away 17 fire extinguishers after the fact ranging in size from the smaller red ones to the larger silver ones. Could have been more that I missed though.

rvtraveller

Original Poster
Looks like they just turned it around in Liberty Square and drove it back out the Splash Mountain entrance. That it was drivable like that is a good indication that the damage was indeed localized which should make for a quicker repair and return.

They actually have a tug sort of like you would see pulling baggage carts around the tarmac at the airport they can send out to tow a float back when it fails (for any reason). It's always at the ready to pull a float along in the event it has a propulsion problem for any reason. Looks like they found this one was able to make its way back under it's own power which would be preferred anyway.

They brought the tug out via Main Street (the parade crew just cleared the street like a marching band was coming through) and also brought out some sort of scissor like bucket lift (I assume for height if they needed to extinguish further). But it seems as if the tug wasn’t needed which is indeed good news.

Cmdr_Crimson

The dragon learned it all from Grunkle Stan..
tumblr_nzfnv9Wlm41ulo81wo8_r1_500.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom