News Dragon caught fire in today’s Festival of Fantasy parade

Princess Leia

So my ghostess friend at HM just made a cryptic post on FB about being safe and okay, not knowing what the situation is, but safe. My guess is that it’s related to Maleficent, but she hasn’t posted since, so (not trying to start any rumors) does anyone know of anything happening at Mansion?

Edit- post was about Maleficent, she followed up with not having the energy to get into detail, so I’m guessing she was involved with whatever happened after.

Last edited:

FullSailDan

The parade has been operating since March 2014. I'm sure it's been thoroughly tested over 4 years.... :rolleyes:

Daily maintenance and safety testing isn't the same as daily operation. As a trapeze performer, the rig is rarely taken down, but every day we do multi point inspection and safety test of the net, bar, ladders, etc.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Daily maintenance and safety testing isn't the same as daily operation. As a trapeze performer, the rig is rarely taken down, but every day we do multi point inspection and safety test of the net, bar, ladders, etc.

And I'm sure they do the same with something that projects a flame.....

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Time for failure analysis. Consider: The Dragon Head MOVES up and down, durring every parade....
There must be a "flexible" gas line connection in that head.... MAYBE plastic gas line?
What happens to ANY flexible connection, given repeated stress?

I would suggest that a high-wear area failed. When Dragon is repaired? There will be improvements in this flex area, combined with FAR more frequent examinations. Betting Dragon is out for a good 6 months, pending failure analysis, and mitigation plan.... :(.

Now just me.... but a little IT, combined with a flow sensor from the Nat Gas supply? A catastrophic increase in gas flow rate COULD trigger an in-line gas shutdown. Consider everyone's gas water heater.

21stamps

So my ghostess friend at HM just made a cryptic post on FB about being safe and okay, not knowing what the situation is, but safe. My guess is that it’s related to Maleficent, but she hasn’t posted since, so (not trying to start any rumors) does anyone know of anything happening at Mansion?

I hope that nothing has happened to your friend! , but your post made me chuckle a bit.. I just posted this in another thread a half hour ago—

The important question is- Has everyone, within a 200 mile radius, marked themselves “safe” from the MK Fire Dragon Incident of 2018.

donsullivan

Premium Member
So is there a fire extinguisher onboard that was used or was one grabbed nearby?

based on the video out there it 'appears' that CM's grabbed them from nearby buildings to put it out. It seems one likely change during repairs will be the addition of an onboard fire suppression system (if there isn't one there already) to automate fire suppression should something recur again in the future.

EricsBiscuit

based on the video out there it 'appears' that CM's grabbed them from nearby buildings to put it out. It seems one likely change during repairs will be the addition of an onboard fire suppression system (if there isn't one there already) to automate fire suppression should something recur again in the future.
That is if the lawyers allow the effect to come back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom