downtown disney to a park on the bus?

dazzer68

Original Poster
have read on another forum that you can catch a bus from dtd to the parks? is that correct? i wouldnt think it would be as people would park there for free and then catch the buses, and im sure disney would be aware of that. i thought dtd buses only went to resorts?

DisneyBoi1215

have read on another forum that you can catch a bus from dtd to the parks? is that correct? i wouldnt think it would be as people would park there for free and then catch the buses, and im sure disney would be aware of that. i thought dtd buses only went to resorts?

No, you are unable to catch a bus from DTD to one of the 4 parks. You'll have to take the bus to one of the hotels, then catch a bus going to the parks from there.

dazzer68

Original Poster
phew that was quick! honestly i dont think i could have spoke the answer that quick! thanks
im staying at disney any way so not trying to avoid parking fee, just if at dtd and need to go to a park.

Atomicmickey

I wondered how many people do that, park at DTD and take the bus to a resort, then to a park. I don't suppose there's anything to stop you from doing that. Sure would take a lot of time out of your day, though.

chaggy102

I wondered how many people do that, park at DTD and take the bus to a resort, then to a park. I don't suppose there's anything to stop you from doing that. Sure would take a lot of time out of your day, though.

There are ways around it; for Magic Kingdom just go to the Contemporary and make the quick walk to the MK. For the studios and Epcot just go to Boardwalk or Yacht and Beach and walk. Only one you won't have walking access to would be the Animal Kingdom.

Pioneer Hall

Disney used to offer buses between the parks and downtown disney. However, people abused it to avoid parking fees and they stopped it. If you need to get from DTD to a park, just take a bus to the nearest resort and then go to the park from there. Since you are a resort guest, there is no harm in doing this either. I have often walked to the Contemporary from the MK in order to get to DTD. I will even do this sometimes when I am going from the Studios or AK to the MK, because the walk from the Contemporary is often shorter than waiting and taking the monorail from the TTC.

I guess this can still be done but what a waste of time though. THis is why parking sucks so bad at DTD. I really don't like not being able to find parking at DTD.
The bus from the resort should ask for a room key or the resort give a bus pass or something to keep this from happening. I'm not a big fan of this at all. Bottom line IMO quit being cheap and pay for the parking. I do and it got us YoaMD FPs for the whole family twice and parking up front once all in the same trip. I wonder if this is a big revinue loser for them.

krankenstein

I guess this can still be done but what a waste of time though. THis is why parking sucks so bad at DTD. I really don't like not being able to find parking at DTD.
The bus from the resort should ask for a room key or the resort give a bus pass or something to keep this from happening. I'm not a big fan of this at all. Bottom line IMO quit being cheap and pay for the parking. I do and it got us YoaMD FPs for the whole family twice and parking up front once all in the same trip. I wonder if this is a big revinue loser for them.

You can't really do that because you have the people that are legitimately going to the resort. Maybe they spend the afternoon at DTD and have an ADR at California Grill or something. The point being, it would be hard to regulate and would only lead to a ton of complaints.

The only solution I can think of is having the stores validate your parking at DTD. Once you go to leave, if your parking isn't validated, they could charge the same price as the parks. It might cut down on some of the abuse. :shrug:

The bus from the resort is a service to paying guests. As far as validation, I don't see that working either. You could always get the parking validated before or after being at a park all day. Validation just says you were there and used a service. What's wrong with paying for the parking in DTD? I wouldn't have a problem paying for it. It would be the solution IMO. Any thoughts?

krankenstein

The bus from the resort is a service to paying guests. As far as validation, I don't see that working either. You could always get the parking validated before or after being at a park all day. Validation just says you were there and used a service. What's wrong with paying for the parking in DTD? I wouldn't have a problem paying for it. It would be the solution IMO. Any thoughts?

Disney resort transportation is available to all guests holding entrance media to a park or guests staying at a WDW resort. It is not exclusive to guests staying on property or at a particular resort.

I don't have problem with them charging. I'm a AP holder, so I would get in free anyway. The problem would be that Disney would have to charge the same price they are at the parks, which I'm sure some people would have a problem with.

courtfran

If I'm staying at one of the resorts I don't think I should have to pay to park at DTD just like I don't have to pay to park at the parks.

Phonedave

Disney used to offer buses between the parks and downtown disney. However, people abused it to avoid parking fees and they stopped it. If you need to get from DTD to a park, just take a bus to the nearest resort and then go to the park from there. Since you are a resort guest, there is no harm in doing this either. I have often walked to the Contemporary from the MK in order to get to DTD. I will even do this sometimes when I am going from the Studios or AK to the MK, because the walk from the Contemporary is often shorter than waiting and taking the monorail from the TTC.

I would also think, that it would be faster to park way down the end of DTD by Circ - where there is scads of open spots, and walk over to SSR and get a bus. Or even take the boat to SSR to get the bus.

Much faster than waiting for the next resort bus.

But then I don't see the point of the whole thing just to save a parking fee. It really seems like too much troube to me.

-dave

Disney resort transportation is available to all guests holding entrance media to a park or guests staying at a WDW resort. It is not exclusive to guests staying on property or at a particular resort.

I don't have problem with them charging. I'm a AP holder, so I would get in free anyway. The problem would be that Disney would have to charge the same price they are at the parks, which I'm sure some people would have a problem with.
Straight from the Disney Why stay at a Disney Resort? web page http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts-benefits/
Complimentary Resort Transportation
Complimentary transportation throughout Walt Disney World Resort is available via bus, boat or monorail for Guests staying at a select Walt Disney World Resort hotel.
If I'm staying at one of the resorts I don't think I should have to pay to park at DTD just like I don't have to pay to park at the parks.
I agree if you are staying on property, GREAT, you shouldn't have to pay for parking. If not, you don't get that "Complimentary Resort Transportation" or the free parking.

Great debate!!! :sohappy::sohappy: :sohappy:

lilclerk

Straight from the Disney Why stay at a Disney Resort? web page http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts-benefits/
Complimentary transportation throughout Walt Disney World Resort is available via bus, boat or monorail for Guests staying at a select Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

I agree if you are staying on property, GREAT, you shouldn't have to pay for parking. If not, you don't get that "Complimentary Resort Transportation" or the free parking.

Great debate!!! :sohappy::sohappy: :sohappy:

It also says on any ticket media that you are entitled to the complimentary transportation with park entry, so it's not really resort-exclusive... they just advertise it that way. I think by "resort" they mean the Walt Disney World Resort, meaning the whole property, not just the hotels.

timeman

phew that was quick! honestly i dont think i could have spoke the answer that quick! thanks
im staying at disney any way so not trying to avoid parking fee, just if at dtd and need to go to a park.

If you are staying at a disney resort and are driving you will not have pay a parking fee for any of the parks. You are given a parking pass sheet that you put on your dash and it allows you to go to any of the parks during the length of your stay and not have to pay parking fees. So if you decide to drive to DTD and then want to go to straight to a park as long as you have the parking pass they gave you at check in then you will not be charged a parking fee at the park.

krankenstein

You do have access to resort transportation if you have ticket to the parks. Trust me, we have been over that before. :lol:

CleveRocks

What's wrong with paying for the parking in DTD? I wouldn't have a problem paying for it. It would be the solution IMO. Any thoughts?
DTD is a mall. Not all the stores and restaurants there are Disney-owned. If I owned a business at DTD, I'd be very angry that I'll probably get less foot traffic walking by because fewer people are visiting DTD because they don't want to pay to park there.

Plenty of people would be turned off by it, enough so that they'd stay away.

It also says on any ticket media that you are entitled to the complimentary transportation with park entry, so it's not really resort-exclusive... they just advertise it that way. I think by "resort" they mean the Walt Disney World Resort, meaning the whole property, not just the hotels.
It does not say that on any ticket I've ever had. My thing is, parking at DTD is not what this is meant for. Why do you think they quit the bus from DTD to the parks?
To me it's ethics. Is this just me?

DTD is a mall. Not all the stores and restaurants there are Disney-owned. If I owned a business at DTD, I'd be very angry that I'll probably get less foot traffic walking by because fewer people are visiting DTD because they don't want to pay to park there.

Plenty of people would be turned off by it, enough so that they'd stay away.
Why would they be turned away? People pay to park at the Disney parks all the time. What would change that for DTD? They do have more than stores there.

krankenstein

It does not say that on any ticket I've ever had. My thing is, parking at DTD is not what this is meant for. Why do you think they quit the bus from DTD to the parks?
To me it's ethics. Is this just me?

Who can use Disney Transportation

Whether or not you can "legally" use WDW's transportation system depends on two things. First, all "park hopper" admission media permits the bearer to use WDW's transportation. Annual Pass holders, for example, are permitted full use of the system. Second, guests of Disney-owned and operated resorts are permitted full use of the system during the duration of their stay.

Link

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom