Downtown Disney expansion to be officially announced Tuesday 12 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
4 things that this announcement needs tomorrow...

1. Vendor List
  2. Timeline
  3. Layout/Updated Map/Plans
  4. Concept Art
Number 1 is the main thing that most people on here will be hoping to hear about tomorrow (we have already seen close enough estimates of some of 3 and 4), but I would guess that it is the least likely of the 4 to be released tomorrow...

You will get some tomorrow, but not all vendors. Some are still be finalized, some want to be announced more on their own timetable as their opening gets nearer.

DizFiz

Yeeek! A Downtown Disney expansion... happy that DD is finally going to get some TLC besides what has been going on.

John

Anyone's who's been on these boards for awhile will be able to predict (or perhaps even write) the reaction of each member on here. That's not a bad thing; we are all just so predictable in our online WDWMagic personas. :) I, for one, am very excited about this, and expect, after the Hyperion Wharf debacle, that construction will start relatively soon.

Oh yea...... What do you think my reaction is?

The big day is here - tomorrow Disney will be announcing the project for Downtown Disney's massive expansion
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...s-huge-expansion-to-be-announced-tomorrow.htm

Well there you go.......its here. I have to say I have a very optomistic but guarded opinion on the project.

TP2000

TravisMT81 mentioned in another thread that Tom Staggs is in town. He was significant in making this project so much bigger than Hyperion Wharf was going to be - so will be interesting to see if we hear directly from him on this one.

This is exciting news, and thank you for sharing it with us so we know to tune in tomorrow.

But I do wonder if Keith Bradford, Vice President Downtown Disney will be doing media interviews on Tuesday? We all know what happened a few years ago when he rolled out the formal announcement of Hyperion Wharf.

Let's see how far they stick their neck out this time. :cool:

CJR

I'm excited about these changes, just a tad bitter about the name change. Nothing that I won't get over though, I just love the name DTD. There's something about it that makes the place seem like more than just a outdoor shopping mall.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the news. I'll be checking my phone for the twitter announcement and then taking a break to read the news! :D I mean, it's nice to see WDW go big on a project.

NeedMoreMickey

The first time I was in DTD was in 1983 and that was probably the last time it was easy to find a parking place. We usually avoid this area with the car because it is a mess, one of the few times I rather take the bus. Hope they really do something about the parking.

John

I think its wonderful that something positive is happening at DTD.I glad anything is going on within the entire resort.... I know that no matter what they do that there will be some people that will be unhappy no matter what.
Actually I dont really care what they do with the area. Its a mall...I have very little emotional connection with the place other then PI. My hope is that they will hear the voices of some of thier guest and give us some nightlife. But I have my doubts. Thats the one thing Disney has seemed to not do....give the customer what they want.....only what they think we want.

Why DTD?....Why Now? Because they have a immediate, tangible ROI. They know it....we know it. Its not a bad thing if everything in the parks were even moderately up to snuff but thier not. In the big picture DTD is the least of thier worries. Like most of us I am glad to hear some good news. How long will it take? Its anybodys guess. Not even Staggs can tell you this. There is not a person on the planet that can tell you this. Hey...I really am hoping for the best.

G00fyDad

The first time I was in DTD was in 1983 and that was probably the last time it was easy to find a parking place. We usually avoid this area with the car because it is a mess, one of the few times I rather take the bus. Hope they really do something about the parking.

You really haven't been here long have you? LOL Yeah, a parking garage is going in. ;)

G00fyDad

I think its wonderful that something positive is happening at DTD.I glad anything is going on within the entire resort.... I know that no matter what they do that there will be some people that will be unhappy no matter what.
Actually I dont really care what they do with the area. Its a mall...I have very little emotional connection with the place other then PI. My hope is that they will hear the voices of some of thier cust and give us some nightlife. But I have my doubts. Thats the one thing Disney has seemed to not do....give the customer what they want.....only what they think we want.

Why DTD?....Why Now? Because they have a immediate, tangible ROI. They know it....we know it. Its not a bad thing if everything in the parks were even moderately up to snuff but thier not. In the big picture DTD is the least of thier worries. Like most of us I am glad to hear some good news. How long will it take? Its anybodys guess. Not even Staggs can tell you this. There is not a person on the p[lanet that can tell you this. Hey...I really am hoping for the best.

Except the company they have contracted with who set a time table. ;) I promise you that they have already contracted someone for this and have gone over details like a completion date. Heck, Disney may have even added a early completion bonus into the contract for the company.

John

Except the company they have contracted with who set a time table. ;) I promise you that they have already contracted someone for this and have gone over details like a completion date. Heck, Disney may have even added a early completion bonus into the contract for the company.

OOOOOKayyyy......I guess you know more then me. You evidently have some inside connections. I agree most construction contracts are structured the way as you described. But we are talking about a Disney project. Name one construction project in lets say the last....ummmmm......decade that looked as if it was done on a reasonable time table? How long did it take them to build some themed toilets again?

Genie of the Lamp

Spirit said in a post in the Disney Springs thread that a Boston Firm who built the Americana at Brand in Glendale,CA is designing this project. Elkus Manfredi is that company and along with WDI they will also have much control/guidance over this project.

G00fyDad

OOOOOKayyyy......I guess you know more then me. You evidently have some inside connections. I agree most construction contracts are structured the way as you described. But we are talking about a Disney project. Name one construction project in lets say the last....ummmmm......decade that looked as if it was done on a reasonable time table? How long did it take them to build some themed toilets again?

Wow. Take it easy. Good God. Are you related to another member on these boards? That is the exact same crap he does. I never said I know more than you and I wasn't attacking you. Calm down. And did I ever say that the project would be completed on time? No, I don't believe so. I just said that they have got to have a time table set up by now. So a completion date may be announced. Maybe you're tired, or maybe you're just naturally cranky, but you need to relax a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom