Downtown Disney expansion to be officially announced Tuesday 12 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genie of the Lamp

Hello, everyone! I'm a bit new here, but I hope no one minds me commenting on such a major project.

I'm definitely excited about this and am somewhat thrilled that we've really gone from 0 to 60, so to speak, with this project. From leaked plans under a month ago to an official announcement tomorrow.

As for the site plans, being a developer, the ones another site leaked seem to be something that would indeed be used for promotional purposes thus they are very close to the (if not the actual) final plan. When some changes may occur is during construction, but I think tomorrow's announcement will really be just a confirmation of already known information on this overhaul, but for dear god, please keep the name "Downtown Disney".

Greetings new/first time member and Welcome to WDWMAGIC!:) Talk about a great place to start at blogging at. We absolutely don't mind you commenting on such a major project as we value opinions of all kinds. I can say for myself that this project has absolutlely unfolded very quickly and it's the reason why I join sites like this to get the most up to date info fairly quicker than others. WDWMAGIC is always the first site to post important and new info and as @asianway puts it "WDWMAGIC is a strip mine for blogging content". Last week we (the non higher up majority) were introduced to these plans, now we are hearing an announcement tomorrow. Gotta love it. You can use your construction job skills to your advatanage on this site when talking about the vast scope of these projects. Yeah tomorrow's announcement will likely be just a conformation of what we know is coming (good amount of) and the name change to "Disney Springs". Unfortunately, DD will not be the name of this area any longer.:( So I'm guessing George and Keith will present this project to the media at this media event (Around the World presentation)? Any idea what time this will be announced at and where? Just curious.

Edit: How dare you @G00fyDad stealing my role as official new member greeter.;) You should know by now that honor is bestowed upon me(the Genie) since @Rose&Crowner gave up that role a while ago. <<total sarcasm>>

djlaosc

4 things that this announcement needs tomorrow...

1. Vendor List
  2. Timeline
  3. Layout/Updated Map/Plans
  4. Concept Art
Number 1 is the main thing that most people on here will be hoping to hear about tomorrow (we have already seen close enough estimates of some of 3 and 4), but I would guess that it is the least likely of the 4 to be released tomorrow...

Shame, as the vendors are going to be the most important bit of information available (yes, hopefully the area will look nice, but, if not, then it's not as big a deal as if there's nowhere you want to go - no amount of "backstory" is going to get people interested in the area if there's nowhere there they want to go to)

As I've already said - I go to the clothes/sports shops at the outlets, and places like fye/Gamestop/Barnes & Noble at Mall at Millenia (I don't actually know where the nearest B&N, or any bookshop is, but that's the kind of shop I'm looking for). Others in my party go look around places like Macy's/Bloomingdales/Tiffanys - from that list of "interested/possible" vendors, looks like nothing for us there (as I have already said, we have 10 Topshops within easy access of here, although I know that is not the case in the US) - just means that we will continue to go to OPOVA/OPOID/Mall at Millenia - doesn't mean that we won't go to Downtown Disney, it just means that we won't spend any more money than we currently do there.

andyman8

Thanks everyone for the very kind welcomes, as they're greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to add that I doubt we'll see many vendors announced with the exception of maybe ten major ones, as I'm sure most of the deals need to be finalized (it seems quite unlikely WDW we'll show all of those brands listed on those powerpoint slides that another WDWMAGIC user posted. With any shopping mall (which, at its core, is what DTD is), the actual plans are usually announced before deals are finalized, as potential vendors want to see renderings and plans of what they're buying into but those are really hard to keep under wraps, particularly with a company as large as Disney. That being said, we may see a lot of Disney brand stores announced (like Disney Baby and Beautifully Disney) along with maybe ten outside vendors. That being said, no one really knows what Disney will do.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
Really looking forward to seeing these plans and what level of design they are up to. As some of our insiders have said in the rumors thread, the design has been through several iterations since the leaked set, so it'll be interesting to see how much changed since then.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
4 things that this announcement needs tomorrow...

1. Vendor List
  2. Timeline
  3. Layout/Updated Map/Plans
  4. Concept Art
Number 1 is the main thing that most people on here will be hoping to hear about tomorrow (we have already seen close enough estimates of some of 3 and 4), but I would guess that it is the least likely of the 4 to be released tomorrow...

Shame, as the vendors are going to be the most important bit of information available (yes, hopefully the area will look nice, but, if not, then it's not as big a deal as if there's nowhere you want to go - no amount of "backstory" is going to get people interested in the area if there's nowhere there they want to go to)

As I've already said - I go to the clothes/sports shops at the outlets, and places like fye/Gamestop/Barnes & Noble at Mall at Millenia (I don't actually know where the nearest B&N, or any bookshop is, but that's the kind of shop I'm looking for). Others in my party go look around places like Macy's/Bloomingdales/Tiffanys - from that list of "interested/possible" vendors, looks like nothing for us there (as I have already said, we have 10 Topshops within easy access of here, although I know that is not the case in the US) - just means that we will continue to go to OPOVA/OPOID/Mall at Millenia - doesn't mean that we won't go to Downtown Disney, it just means that we won't spend any more money than we currently do there.

5. A promise to actually build it this time.

djlaosc

Just wanted to add that I doubt we'll see many vendors announced with the exception of maybe ten major ones, as I'm sure most of the deals need to be finalized (it seems quite unlikely WDW we'll show all of those brands listed on those powerpoint slides that another WDWMAGIC user posted. With any shopping mall (which, at its core, is what DTD is), the actual plans are usually announced before deals are finalized, as potential vendors want to see renderings and plans of what they're buying into but those are really hard to keep under wraps, particularly with a company as large as Disney. That being said, we may see a lot of Disney brand stores announced (like Disney Baby and Beautifully Disney) along with maybe ten outside vendors. That being said, no one really knows what Disney will do.

Which means that we're all going to be disappointed (but not surprised - with Disney announcement these days, it's best to expect the least and be pleasantly surprised afterwards) and talk on here for the next few months (years) will be...
  • How are the going to hide the parking garages?
  • Are parking garages necessary?
  • Tangled Toilets Part 2 - all style and no substance (the substance being the stores that won't be announced tomorrow)
  • Guess the stores going in to Disney Springs...
  • Is the Adventurer's Club coming back?
  • Is there going to be any nightlife?
  • When are they going to start construction?
  • Has it been cancelled yet?
At least if we had a list of stores to discuss (who they are targeting to? - what are the males going to do while the females shop? - what shops they need to round out the experience - is there going to be anything there to interest us as consumers?), there would be more substance...

If we're getting more Disney stores, hopefully they will be more along the lines of "Art of Disney" - I actually had something I wanted to buy last time I was there from that shop - but they don't actually make it (for some unknown reason...)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Anyone's who's been on these boards for awhile will be able to predict (or perhaps even write) the reaction of each member on here. That's not a bad thing; we are all just so predictable in our online WDWMagic personas. :) I, for one, am very excited about this, and expect, after the Hyperion Wharf debacle, that construction will start relatively soon.
This made me feel like we're pro wrestlers. I think we should all spend the next week picking entrance music.

jrh1985

Quick Question, has this Around The World Event been planned for a while??? I haven't seen anything about it before tonight. Are we expecting anything else other than DTD/DS??????

pjammer

Anyone have any idea on the time frame for this project? If FLE is taking 5 years, are we looking at a decade for this to get done?
I think that this should move quicker because they will be able to construction during the day. Something that wasn't done a lot at MK for the FLE except with the mountain they haven't been trying to hide their construction of that.

bason rlexan

I am sure we can expect some real concept art, and some of the vendors to be confirmed.
2a3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom