Downtown Disney Attack May Have Been a Hoax

marathonear

Original Poster
Found this rather interesting today:

The victims of a recent robbery and kidnapping at Downtown Disney have decided not to prosecute if the Orange County Sheriff's Office captures their abductors.
"They both signed DOI's within the past hour," sheriff's spokesman Jim Solomons said shortly after 11 a.m. Wednesday. DOI stands for declination of intent, a form stating that victims decline to prosecute.

The abduction early Sunday of Jessica DellaCamera and Justin Stetzer, tourists from Connecticut, attracted national attention after they reported being taken at gunpoint from Downtown Disney, Walt Disney World's shopping and nightclub center.

They told investigators that three men forced them into a car and drove them to withdraw cash from ATMs before leaving them in a dump in nearby Osceola County, where the men beat them. They also told investigators they fought back and escaped when one of their abductors' guns fired accidentally, according to the sheriff's office.

"When you get down to the bottom line we still consider them victims," Solomons said, noting that DellaCamera and Stetzer, both 20 years old, showed signs of having been beaten.

The couple, who were visiting Walt Disney World with DellaCamera's parents, decided not to go any further with the investigation after they were asked to provide facial details for composite sketches of the robbers and to undergo voice stress analysis, a form of lie-detector test, according to the sheriff's office.

What do you think?

marathonear

Original Poster
The other thread covers the original story, but if you read the last few lines of my post, it indicates that the people were most likely making up the whole story. The other thread does not cover this part of the story that just broke today. That was my original intent, and the reason I did not post this as part of the other thread, as this is later news, and probably more important than the orginal story, for it should give people visiting the area a more secure feeling knowing that this probably never happened. Sorry for the misunderstanding, yours and mine.

Champion

The other thread covers the original story, but if you read the last few lines of my post, it indicates that the people were most likely making up the whole story. The other thread does not cover this part of the story that just broke today. That was my original intent, and the reason I did not post this as part of the other thread, as this is later news, and probably more important than the orginal story, for it should give people visiting the area a more secure feeling knowing that this probably never happened. Sorry for the misunderstanding, yours and mine.

No, it didn't 'just break today' and yes, it is covered in the other thread.

Heres a link to exactly what you posted:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=2304282&postcount=186
From June 13th. There were two more pages of discussion since.

jmvd20

Towards the end of the last one is when it started coming out that these people planned the entire ordeal. This information was covered in that thread towards the end of it.

Just wanted to point that out to you and others. I meant no criticism of this thread in any way and didn't want my comment to come off that way.

I completely agree that this *is* very important to get out since having a belief that people are kidnapped at DTD parking lots isn't great publicity to say the least.

CAPTAIN HOOK

but if you read the last few lines of my post, it indicates that the people were most likely making up the whole story.

I can see why you would make this assumption - but it doesn't make the incident as being made up. For reasons best known to themselves, many people will report an incident but take it no further. Reasons for this include :-
It is not a genuine report,
The report is genuine but the victim can't be bothered,
They do not wish to meet the offenders across a court,
The healing process is quicker if they have nothing more to do with the incident,
They will seek their own retribution on the offenders rather than wait for justice to run its course

mary219

this story just didnt make much sense in the first place.I don't know why but it just seemed unlikely.I agree,more than likely some type of drug deal or illegal action that went wrong and needed a coverup.

The Mom

Premium Member
this story just didnt make much sense in the first place.I don't know why but it just seemed unlikely.I agree,more than likely some type of drug deal or illegal action that went wrong and needed a coverup.

I agree with the first scenario, but I'm not sure about the second. The person who called police, and the police themselves, stated that the couple had definitely been assaulted. I suppose they could have told the others involved to beat them up to give them some sort of excuse, but I think that they were not expecting a beating. Just my take on it, though. We may never know the true story. As I mentioned earlier (on the other thread) most of us are just relieved that it wasn't a random attack.

Chux

I agree with the first scenario, but I'm not sure about the second. The person who called police, and the police themselves, stated that the couple had definitely been assaulted. I suppose they could have told the others involved to beat them up to give them some sort of excuse, but I think that they were not expecting a beating. Just my take on it, though. We may never know the true story. As I mentioned earlier (on the other thread) most of us are just relieved that it wasn't a random attack.

Here's the thing though. Those two(victims) go to buy illegal substances, the deal goes sour and the people beat them. They call the cops then think, oh wait, if/when they catch them they'll tell the police what we were doing and now we look bad.

It's really the only reason I can think of not to prosecute.

The Mom

Premium Member
Here's the thing though. Those two(victims) go to buy illegal substances, the deal goes sour and the people beat them. They call the cops then think, oh wait, if/when they catch them they'll tell the police what we were doing and now we look bad.

It's really the only reason I can think of not to prosecute.

I agree that they were up to no good, with a drug deal gone bad being the most likely scenario, and that being the reason they don't want to prosecute.

I'm just saying that I'm not convinced the beating part was planned by them as a coverup. I think it was unexpected. But it was more than likely planned all along by their attackers; I suspect that drug dealers consider tourists easy marks. Take their money, don't give them the drugs, take them off the beaten path, beat them up if they object, take their car, and sit back knowing that you will most likely get away with it.

In any event, the credibility of the alleged victims is shot and nothing they said can be believed at this point. I wonder what the ATM videos show?

cloudboy

Just one observation and I will be done. don't transpose your reactions of what you would do in this situation to what they would do in this situation.

Remember, these people come from an area that sees petty violence all the time, but where actual physical attacks are rare. They come from an area where justice and retaliation are very different things, and in fact revenge is often very frowned upon. They also are already taking lots of heat over this, and now you have a law enforcement agency that seems to be more concerned with attacking the victims than finding the criminals. Things like Lie Detectors and such don't hold a lot of credibility up north, and are seen more as con games than anything.

I think that at this point they figure they have nothing to gain out of the ordeal, They have little trust of the law enforcement in a different culture, and media that is hungry to turn them into the aggressors. Why wouldn't you want to just get it all behind you?

Champion

Just one observation and I will be done. don't transpose your reactions of what you would do in this situation to what they would do in this situation.

Remember, these people come from an area that sees petty violence all the time, but where actual physical attacks are rare. They come from an area where justice and retaliation are very different things, and in fact revenge is often very frowned upon. They also are already taking lots of heat over this, and now you have a law enforcement agency that seems to be more concerned with attacking the victims than finding the criminals. Things like Lie Detectors and such don't hold a lot of credibility up north, and are seen more as con games than anything.

I think that at this point they figure they have nothing to gain out of the ordeal, They have little trust of the law enforcement in a different culture, and media that is hungry to turn them into the aggressors. Why wouldn't you want to just get it all behind you?

I don't think you know anything about North Branford.

PigletIsMyCat

Lie detectors don't hold credibility up North? Where up North? The Pole? I lived in the tri-state area (New York) for most of my life. Lie detection and stress analysis tests DO stand up in court, and are often used. Plus, they wouldn't be going to trial up North, it'd be in Orlando.

slappy magoo

Just a good ol' boys...wouldn't change if they could...
Fightin' the system like-a 2 modern day Robin Hoods...
yee...ha...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom