Doubting Avatar

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You're kidding, right? One ride, which heavily and primarily features the yeti, simply does not compare to an entire land based on a film that has little to do with animals. I fail to see your point, just as you appear to fail at seeing mine.

There's more in terms of themes (such as conservation) within Avatar that Disney saw as a fit with AK....

Ignohippo

So, then how does Expedition Everest fit in with the general theme of the rest of the park?

Mythical animals like, perhaps, a yeti?

I see your point, but I see EE as a better fit because the mountain works to create the elusion of being in a different country and adds a lot to scenic nature of the park.

Avatar is futuristic sci-fi, without much animal reference.

If Disney were going to go the fiction route, I would have like Beastly Kingdomme much, much more. With that said, there's no doubt Avatar would be a much bigger draw than BK could ever hope to be.

ellie-badge

Avatar has 10 times more animal references in it than Expedition Everest ...and that's JUST in the first film. The "land" will likely follow suit. So, if you feel that animal-association is the prerequisite for AK integration, then Avatar ought to replace Everest.

Comparing Avatar Land with Expedition Everest is basically comparing apples and oranges. What you're trying to say just doesn't make sense to me, I'm sorry.

There's more in terms of themes (such as conservation) within Avatar that Disney saw as a fit with AK....

You make a good point. It's been a very long time since I've been to Animal Kingdom, and I don't visit the park even a quarter as often as the other three (mainly because neither of my folks enjoy it), so there's probably more theming to the park than I originally thought.

If the new land is going to primarily be about conservation, then that's cool. If they can tastefully integrate the animals from the world of Avatar into the land as well, then that would be even better. Still, my feelings towards this project hasn't changed. They might once WDI takes action and eventually finishes construction, sure, but as of right now, I'm still iffy on the whole idea.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You make a good point. It's been a very long time since I've been to Animal Kingdom, and I don't visit the park even a quarter as often as the other three (mainly because neither of my folks enjoy it), so there's probably more theming to the park than I originally thought.

If the new land is going to be primarily be about conservation, then that's cool. If they can tastefully integrate the animals from the world of Avatar into the land as well, then that would be even better. Still, my feelings towards this project hasn't changed. They might once WDI takes action and eventually finishes construction, sure, but as of right now, I'm still iffy on the whole idea.

Well, I think everyone is due to the lack of information surrounding the project. It can often be best just to sit back and see what occurs.....

ellie-badge

Well, I think everyone is due to the lack of information surrounding the project. It can often be best just to sit back and see what occurs.....

You're very much correct, and that's what I plan on doing. Who knows? For all I know, I might fall in love with this new land once the plans begin to unfold and construction completes. The reverse could also happen. It's just a matter of time, as you implied.

Gregoryp73

The Avatar deal with Cameron was struck completely out of the blue by Iger, so there are a lot of hurdles for it to go through with Imagineering. I think many here are hoping it falls apart. Since there hasn't been a single rendering or any info released, people are skeptical. That and the shareholders wanting less expenditures (which I believe Avatar is partly responsible for), gives people the impression this thing won't happen.

I see what you did there..... ;)

ChrisM

I see your point, but I see EE as a better fit because the mountain works to create the elusion of being in a different country and adds a lot to scenic nature of the park.

Avatar is futuristic sci-fi, without much animal reference.

If Disney were going to go the fiction route, I would have like Beastly Kingdomme much, much more. With that said, there's no doubt Avatar would be a much bigger draw than BK could ever hope to be.

James Cameron's World of James Cameron's Avatar Brought To You By James Cameron is supposed to represent an alien biosphere, with all of its attendant flora and fauna.

A different country or continent? South America? Australia? No. An entire alien planet.

It doesn't get much more animal-centric than that.

bethymouse

James Cameron's World of James Cameron's Avatar Brought To You By James Cameron is supposed to represent an alien biosphere, with all of its attendant flora and fauna.

A different country or continent? South America? Australia? No. An entire alien planet.

It doesn't get much more animal-centric than that.
I can only imagine.:)

Pentacat

Avatar at AK makes sense to TWDC because they want to either increase attendance at that gate or increase AK's operational hours (or both.) So much more efficient to increase to throughput at an existing park than open yet another gate. Some would argue that DHS would be a better fit than AK but long term DHS is going to be the place for all things Pixar (IMHO) so where else do you put it?

The best thing about Avatar is that it has a creative visionary/champion of the cause in James Cameron. Look at the results of this with Lasseter's involvement with Cars Land. We've had years of "design by committee" at WDI with some pretty lackluster results or at least things that didn't live up to the hype.

My first concern is that $500 million isn't going to be enough, the first Avatar movie cost HALF that amount and that was just a MOVIE. The second concern is that the delay is because Cameron is famously hard to work with and demanding. Don't forget that JK Rowling went to Universal to get the creative control that she wanted with WWOHP.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Avland is still a go. Not full steam ahead but more of a crawl. Yes CMM is being cleared in prep for it... as was the World Showcase plot for Switzerland.

Remember, Eisner publicly announced all the Sunset Blvd attractions that never got built. Just because the CEO says so doesn't mean it will happen.

AmongMadPeople

I don't think I can add anything to this discussion that hasn't been said a dozen times since last September, but here I go anyway...

People who know more than we do say the project hasn't been shelved. I believe that more than my speculations based on the fact that mum's the word with executives and there is no artwork. I was excited for this project when it was announced, but I'm prepared for disappointment when the budget is slashed so much we get a shell of what potential there is. Personally, I'd rather them not release artwork and get everyone's hopes up when we armchair imagineer all sorts of details and facts out of a non-realistic representation of the land that will change before its built. Get most of it ironed out, then release some artwork before they go to the drainage board and we get a peek at some site plans.

nepalostparks

Show me the evidence :wave:

In case you didn't read above:

There was the official announcement from Disney.
There was the announcement to the shareholders, that while domestic spending will be reduced, the Avatar project is still planned.
The character meet and greets in Camp Minnie Mickey are being moved to Discovery Island into what is now Beastly Bazaar.
A reliable source has posted that Festival of the Line King is likely moving to Africa.
The last two combined basically empties out CMM, which was one of the rumored possibilities for Avatar-land.

Avland is still a go.

It has had some developmental issues, and is moving slowly, but as of now it is still officially active.

Could it be cancelled? Sure, anything not complete can be cancelled, changed, reduced, expanded, etc. But as of right now, it is a project in process, and the evidence points to that.

PirateFrank

Im not sure the true argument here is whether or not it has been canceled....but whether Avatarland is actually realized.

All evidence points to the contrary. Sure...it's still a go. But there have been full epcot countries announced with far more art than AL...that got completely scrapped. I don't need to post the evidence, you've all seen it.

I'm not sure how anyone can take the very succinct and forced comments by Iger and Rhode...and wrap an entire blanket of 100% certainty around Avatarland. It just doesn't work like that.

nepalostparks

I'm not sure how anyone can take the very succinct and forced comments by Iger and Rhode...and wrap an entire blanket of 100% certainty around Avatarland. It just doesn't work like that.

I don't think anyone is saying it is 100% certain... but as of right now, it is a project that is progressing. The evidence suggests that.

lazyboy97o

All evidence points to the contrary. Sure...it's still a go. But there have been full epcot countries announced with far more art than AL...that got completely scrapped. I don't need to post the evidence, you've all seen it.
Even more than that, there are unused showbuildings! Even the big plot of land is question, Camp Minnie-Mickey, was set aside for Beastly Kingdom, and even a tiny, itty bitty bit of that was actually built, but it isn't happening any more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom