Doubting Avatar

Tom Morrow

Hate when people complain about the Lost finale. The last season maybe wasn't so great - the flash sideways, in essence, wasted half of the season just to lead up to one big reveal in the finale. But that finale... was wonderful. I don't know what else people wanted from the show at that point.

Answers to everything? That's the thing, almost everything on the show either was answered or could be answered in a roundabout way.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/108-answers-to-losts-supposedly-unanswered-questions/

Read this, it explains the show and the thought process you should have toward it. But don't read it if you haven't finished watching!

lebeau

Hate when people complain about the Lost finale. The last season maybe wasn't so great - the flash sideways, in essence, wasted half of the season just to lead up to one big reveal in the finale. But that finale... was wonderful. I don't know what else people wanted from the show at that point.

Answers to everything? That's the thing, almost everything on the show either was answered or could be answered in a roundabout way.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/108-answers-to-losts-supposedly-unanswered-questions/

Read this, it explains the show and the thought process you should have toward it. But don't read it if you haven't finished watching!

I liked Lost and I don't hold a grudge over the way it ended. But there is no denying that a lot of viewers found the finale less than satisfying. I have defended the finale in the past. But the show runners promised answers for six years and the answers they provided were... interesting. I can understand people's disappointment. Heck, I can understand their rage.

The article you linked to is supposed to be defending Lost. But really, I think it does a great job of explaining exactly why Lost disappointed so many people.

ddbowdoin

Avatar has 10 times more animal references in it than Expedition Everest ...and that's JUST in the first film. The "land" will likely follow suit. So, if you feel that animal-association is the prerequisite for AK integration, then Avatar ought to replace Everest.

kind of like unicorns... they don't exist, merely in the minds of the individual.

ddbowdoin

I liked Lost and I don't hold a grudge over the way it ended. But there is no denying that a lot of viewers found the finale less than satisfying. I have defended the finale in the past. But the show runners promised answers for six years and the answers they provided were... interesting. I can understand people's disappointment. Heck, I can understand their rage.

The article you linked to is supposed to be defending Lost. But really, I think it does a great job of explaining exactly why Lost disappointed so many people.

dude, we're best friends...

the finale of Lost was great, it really was... why people complained, there is a reality that your average American is simple minded. They wanted an ending placed like cookies on a plate, whereas the ending in its current state was open ended and thought provoking. It created post show conversation amongst fans, whereas a clear cut ending would have simply been like oh ok, they all went back and were safe...which is what the masses wanted but would have shown a true lack of creative spirit.

RSoxNo1

Never say never, Frank ... you may wind up crashing a plane on Pandora and wind up spending six seasons there. On a plane coming back from Europe is actually when I saw Avatar and I couldn't believe how bored I was (yeah, I know ... the amazing in theater 3D would have made up for the cardboard characters, godawful dialog and paper thin and derivative storyline).
Doesn't mean I won't set foot there if and when it opens (at this point, you're looking at 2017 at the earliest!)
BTW, some goober here actually thinks that I think you are a pilot from a fictional TV series that I loved ... how amusing is that?
I know I’m going to come off as a whiny, ungrateful fan boy but the time frame for Avatar is really rough. I sincerely hope that there is something of substance built at Epcot, DHS, and/or DAK between 2013 and 2017 to bridge the gap.

Aliens and Terminator 2 are possibly the two best action films ever made.
Alien is a masterpiece and possibly the finest horror film of all time.
What about Point Break?

Anyone see a correlation as Disney goes and grabs Avatar when they have so many of their own properties/characters/franchises just sitting around and collecting dust?
Outside of Pixar and Star Wars what do they have in their grasps that's a viable franchise?
Everything they have is older, and while older doesn’t necessarily mean worse it is as you said, “covered in dust”. The newer movies Disney has put out there have been underwhelming save for Pirates of the Caribbean, and we’re approaching the saturation point on that.
I think a much better argument could be made for expanding Lucas’ presence in the Studios and an original concept from Imagineering instead of using an existing in house franchise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom