Done they were. Lied they did.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There’s obviously a good middle ground to be had between constant action and nothing happening. Never seen a single F&F movie and Transformers went downhill after the first one.

The first two Hobbit movies were more entertaining too imo even I still haven’t sat down to watch Battle of the Five Armies.

The hobbits we’re whiz bangs that invalidated the book.

Lotr was much better done. Opinions vary

Tony Perkis

Only because I know it will be lost in other threads, I just got out of John Wick 3 and, I don’t think this is exaggeration: it may have the best action I’ve ever seen in a film in theatres.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
GoT's last seasons totally comport with what came before in my view, namely, everything you want gets destroyed because of war and a reckless grab for power.

People you care about? Killed. People you hate? Killed, and often in an unsatisfying way. Innocents? Killed... or turned hopeless bitter. The guilty? Killed without trial. Everyone seeking power? Turns evil. Those looking to make the world a better place? Fruitless in the midst of war. Those trying to stay out of war's way? Sorry, war will find you and devastate you.

If people want GoT to turn out like a typical war movie, whether fantasy or real-life, in which the good guys win, they should have had those hopes crushed in the first season.

War is hell. Full stop. Think back to High School lit classes. The theme is (pardon the archaic way of expressing it): Man's inhumanity to man.

Mike S

Only because I know it will be lost in other threads, I just got out of John Wick 3 and, I don’t think this is exaggeration: it may have the best action I’ve ever seen in a film in theatres.
Indeed.
GoT's last seasons totally comport with what came before in my view, namely, everything you want gets destroyed because of war and a reckless grab for power.

People you care about? Killed. People you hate? Killed, and often in an unsatisfying way. Innocents? Killed... or turned hopeless bitter. The guilty? Killed without trial. Everyone seeking power? Turns evil. Those looking to make the world a better place? Fruitless in the midst of war. Those trying to stay out of war's way? Sorry, war will find you and devastate you.

If people want GoT to turn out like a typical war movie, whether fantasy or real-life, in which the good guys win, they should have had those hopes crushed in the first season.

War is hell. Full stop. Think back to High School lit classes. The theme is (pardon the archaic way of expressing it): Man's inhumanity to man.
I don’t think anyone said they wanted a happy ending. As an outsider looking in all I see are unsatisfied fans. Obviously they’re invested in this show and have their reasons to be upset.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I don’t think the character resolutions are the problem...it’s how ham handedly it’s been. That’s a cause for worry. If you want more phantom menace..you might be in luck

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So channel surfing brought me to Jedi on tnt...and for the 1000th time I’m watching.

It’s just so much better (haven’t gotten to Ewoks yet)....

Character driven...the look, feel perfect...still after all these years. Even the acting is so much better

Than anything since save for maybe 1.5 movies or so total.

And remember this is the “bad” one with the rehashed plot (incorrect) and the no name bad director.

It really isn’t anything close to the same. Star Wars seems to be lost to time.

Time to turn on a news station to cheer myself up 😉

Tony Perkis

So channel surfing brought me to Jedi on tnt...and for the 1000th time I’m watching.

Character driven...the look, feel perfect...still after all these years. Even the acting is so much better

And remember this is the “bad” one with the rehashed plot (incorrect) and the no name bad director.

Rewatch the opening musical number.

It’s an abomination.

Mike S

As a callback to a previous post of mine I watched Two Towers last night. More enjoyable than the first one. One complaint I still have though is why are so many lines seemingly mumbled? Why can’t they speak all the lines clearly?

erasure fan1

As a callback to a previous post of mine I watched Two Towers last night. More enjoyable than the first one. One complaint I still have though is why are so many lines seemingly mumbled? Why can’t they speak all the lines clearly?
Lol. My wife had the same problem. I got so sick of her asking, "what did they say?" I turned on closed captioning and we never had a problem again.

Anders Limpar

Ewoks...man vs. nature innit.

I never thought of them as teddybears to be honest although I know they were there to sell toys, etc.. They actually creeped me out a little until I was a bit older. I never viewed them as cute.

I don't understand this recent movement where it is cool to bash ROTJ, it is a great movie. The way the last third has about four stories interwoven playing out simultaneously is pretty incredible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ewoks...man vs. nature innit.

I never thought of them as teddybears to be honest although I know they were there to sell toys, etc.. They actually creeped me out a little until I was a bit older. I never viewed them as cute.

I don't understand this recent movement where it is cool to bash ROTJ, it is a great movie. The way the last third has about four stories interwoven playing out simultaneously is pretty incredible.

Anyone that ranks Jedi below anything but empire is lying to themselves

Star Wars was the original and of course I get that...

But visually Jedi is still the best in my opinion...

The story may have been weaker...but the effects and character portrayals were superior to all but empire. Except ford...they shoulda killed him then so they wouldn’t beholden to him 30 years and a bazillions mistakes later.

Macdiarmids younger portrayal of an older emperor is so much better than his older portrayal of a younger one. It’s criminal what they made him do later. Better be a return to form on deck.

Hamill was great in empire and as good in Jedi...the maturity that completed the ark.

Even fisher had a maturity that fit after the spunk. That’s what a war would do on a leader. Arrogance gives way to fatigue and wisdom.

Bit characters were of course great...lead by the admiral.

The problem will always be Ewoks and bows and arrows...coulda done better.

Of course compensated by the space battle, reactor run, sailbarge and saber battle.

It has always been a fantastic movie...it’s just hip to bash it.

Tom P.

It has always been a fantastic movie...it’s just hip to bash it.
I really think we've reached the point where it's hip for Star Wars fans to bash pretty much anything Star Wars.

Kinda like how it's hip for Disney fans on this board to bash anything Disney does.

Seems fitting that Disney now owns Star Wars...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really think we've reached the point where it's hip for Star Wars fans to bash pretty much anything Star Wars.

Kinda like how it's hip for Disney fans on this board to bash anything Disney does.

Seems fitting that Disney now owns Star Wars...
...you’re not wrong

For me it’s easy for both Star Wars AND Disney...if it’s good - I’ll say it. If it’s not good - I’ll say it.

If they try to LIE About it being good - that’s too much. I get enough lies from all other spheres of the planet...don’t bother lying when you fail on a movie.

Tony Perkis

...you’re not wrong

For me it’s easy for both Star Wars AND Disney...if it’s good - I’ll say it. If it’s not good - I’ll say it.

If they try to LIE About it being good - that’s too much. I get enough lies from all other spheres of the planet...don’t bother lying when you fail on a movie.
Get off your high horse.

People don’t lie about their feelings about a film, nor do they bash because it’s hip, simply because they don’t fall in line with your opinions.

KeithVH

And maybe it's brutal honesty? Some of us can remember calling in sick to work on that Wednesday in May of '77 and being amazed. Technically, there'd been nothing like it up to that point. And we felt pretty complete after the 3rd installment. We had the EU and some great story lines.

Fast forward 40 years and, REGARDLESS of who now owns the rights, those at the helm have made a dog's dinner of the whole mess. Not Disney's fault, it takes a while to mismanage something like this over a period of time. I started to get disconnected with Phantom and that whiny, angst boy severed it for me completely in Clones.

You'd like to think Disney is going to "fix" everything. They could do it. If for no other reason than this being a HUGE cash cow. The problem is, it SEEMS like current Disney thinking is "how much can we get out of this IP for minimal investment?" as opposed to being the shepherd of a big piece of pop culture. Just like most of the other things they're handling now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom