Don Dorsey Interview

jt04

Completely disagree with your last comment.

People are stunned nightly by ROE.

Um, I've been many times. I wouldn't say the crowd is "stunned" by any measure. The castle lights are "stunning" but I honestly don't think Illuminations reaches that level. Even Fantasmic "wows" the crowd more than Illuminations.

And when folks see WoC, everything will change. People have no clue what they are in for when that show debuts. No clue. That is the scale Epcot should go for.

And before you say it, I do know a WoC type show is not a good fit for Epcot. But a Tokyo DisneySea-esque type show is.

SirGoofy

Um, I've been many times. I wouldn't say the crowd is "stunned" by any measure. The castle lights are "stunning" but I honestly don't think Illuminations reaches that level. Even Fantasmic "wows" the crowd more than Illuminations.

I saw people leaving from ROE on an almost nightly basis. They were stunned.

And when folks see WoC, everything will change.

Unfortunately it won't. A very large majority of people who will visit WDW will have no idea what WoC is.

And before you say it, I do know a WoC type show is not a good fit for Epcot. But a Tokyo DisneySea-esque type show is.

WoC technology mixed with ROE would be perfect.

EPCOT Explorer

Great stuff. Obviously WDE's crowning achievement, and I suspect it to stay this way, even with WoC.

Why? It's ORIGINAL. It's music, it's story, the whole mood it creates.

WoC will be much larger in scope, but not in feeling. It's classic Disney.:shrug:
Good Interview, even though he was at Epcot last night watching ROE for the 10th anniversary and also associated big party. I thought they might add some backstage secrets like the dedication plaque on the inferno barge. It is called "Don D's Inferno" (get it?)
Yes, I get it! AWESOME. :D Never knew that.
It's a nice show for it's day but Epcot's nightly spectacular really needs to be made more "21st Century".

The show has problems with scale also. Some of it's elements are almost lost due to the size of the "stage".

WoC and the current show in Tokyo is more along the lines of what Epcot deserves and hopefully gets soon.
Agreed. Use the tech from WoC IN RoE. Bring things to it, but don't change the music, or the story. It's PERFECT for EPCOT. Far surpasses any show that EPCOT Center had, even.

And when folks see WoC, everything will change. People have no clue what they are in for when that show debuts. No clue. That is the scale Epcot should go for.

I'd debate that. People go NUTS when that Inferno Barge starts up. Same with the 1000 Points of Light segment. It's Surprising. That's what does it.

WoC can do that, too, but we shall see.

And yes, that scale need to be brought to RoE.

CBOMB

I'm sure WDW will develope new fireworks shows, and parades in the future. I'm also sure they will be great, and more advanced than things we see now.
In my opinion, nothing they ever develope will be BETTER than Illuminations Reflections of Earth or Tapestry of Nations.

KaliSplash

Sorry, but this is my LEAST favorite nighttime show. It was several years before I realized there was more than changing colors on the globe. Perhaps I always picked a bad side to view the show and no question my distance vision isn't what it could be, but I truly went several years before realizing there was something other than changing colors.

I agree with the comments about the scale, the globe just needs to be MUCH bigger. Without that, I think the 'story' is lost. The music is good, the fireworks are wonderful, but 'story'? Not so much

jt04

Sorry, but this is my LEAST favorite nighttime show. It was several years before I realized there was more than changing colors on the globe. Perhaps I always picked a bad side to view the show and no question my distance vision isn't what it could be, but I truly went several years before realizing there was something other than changing colors.

I agree with the comments about the scale, the globe just needs to be MUCH bigger. Without that, I think the 'story' is lost. The music is good, the fireworks are wonderful, but 'story'? Not so much

The narration is sometimes hard to hear also. You are exactly right. As many times as I've seen the show, I'm still not clear on the "story".

Epcot needs something new.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm sure they can make the mist screens portable on the existing, or new, barges.
Good. I thought so.
The narration is sometimes hard to hear also. You are exactly right. As many times as I've seen the show, I'm still not clear on the "story".

Epcot needs something new.

Narr. is ALWAYS crystal clear.

Where have you been watching from? :lol:

And the story? Do some reading, if you want to get in depth. If not, it's kinda obvious. Creation of the Earth, and it's story and it's cultures.

sponono88

Illuminations is an amazing show, there is no doubt about that. Out of the nighttime shows at WDW it really stuck out as the best (imo). Now with that said.. I do think there is room for improvement. The middle section of the show drags on a wee bit too long.. The music is amazing, but I'm just not a big fan of the globe. The rest of the show is awesome. It'd be nice if it got some enhancements and updated technology.. and maybe, um, a reworking of the globe sequence. But don't replace or get rid of the show! That would be like F! at DL getting the axe - I would die.

HMF

That would be like F! at DL getting the axe - I would die.
Indeed! Great comparison and as with Fantasmic it would be great for ROE to get plussed once in a while. I just hope that an updated inferno barge won't have similar problems to what happened with Murphy.

EPCOT Explorer

Illuminations is an amazing show, there is no doubt about that. Out of the nighttime shows at WDW it really stuck out as the best (imo). Now with that said.. I do think there is room for improvement. The middle section of the show drags on a wee bit too long.. The music is amazing, but I'm just not a big fan of the globe. The rest of the show is awesome. It'd be nice if it got some enhancements and updated technology.. and maybe, um, a reworking of the globe sequence. But don't replace or get rid of the show! That would be like F! at DL getting the axe - I would die.

Have you seen it with the new globe? It's MUCH easier to see, now.

sponono88

Indeed! Great comparison and as with Fantasmic it would be great for ROE to get plussed once in a while. I just hope that an updated inferno barge won't have similar problems to what happened with Murphy.

like Fantasmic, RoE has become an integral part of the park to the point where you can't imagine EPCOT without it. The same goes for DL - a night without F! playing in the Rivers of America just isn't the same. As for Murphy.. she's looking great nowadays :)

Have you seen it with the new globe? It's MUCH easier to see, now.

can't say I have.. how long ago did they update the globe?

EPCOT Explorer

like Fantasmic, RoE has become an integral part of the park to the point where you can't imagine EPCOT without it. The same goes for DL - a night without F! playing in the Rivers of America just isn't the same. As for Murphy.. she's looking great nowadays :)

can't say I have.. how long ago did they update the globe?

A year. :D Crystal clear shows. :D

disreport

Original Poster
I really don't think you could improve on the ROE score. I really can't begin to describe how much I love it. When you follow that with Promise and Tapestry of Nations...goodness. I do wish they could update the dated fountain portion of the show with the WOC hardware.

prbiker15

In reply to jt104:

Epcot does not need a new fireworks show, Illuminations is pretty much a 21st century type fireworks show. If Illuminations is still going on after 10 years, it is a highly amazing success. I've seen it 3 times, and I was still baffled every time.

Look at Hollywood Studios (off topic). Fantasmic! was their only hope, and 11 years after it premiered, it's still going strong. I think MK, E, or HS should not replace any fireworks show (except Wishes turning into HalloWishes and so on). OLD? Nope. NEEDS TO BE 21ST CENTURY? Already is. *though Fantasmic needs an upgrade :p*

jt04

In reply to jt104:

Epcot does not need a new fireworks show, Illuminations is pretty much a 21st century type fireworks show. If Illuminations is still going on after 10 years, it is a highly amazing success. I've seen it 3 times, and I was still baffled every time.

Look at Hollywood Studios (off topic). Fantasmic! was their only hope, and 11 years after it premiered, it's still going strong. I think MK, E, or HS should not replace any fireworks show (except Wishes turning into HalloWishes and so on). OLD? Nope. NEEDS TO BE 21ST CENTURY? Already is. *though Fantasmic needs an upgrade :p*

I didn't say I don't like the show. It's OK. But it should be so much more. Again my big complaint is scale and always has been. It is certainly not cutting edge. WoC and BraviSEAmo are cutting edge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom