Don Dorsey Interview

EPCOT Explorer

I didn't say I don't like the show. It's OK. But it should be so much more. Again my big complaint is scale and always has been. It is certainly not cutting edge. WoC and BraviSEAmo are cutting edge.

WDI says that the Earth Barge is STILL the most complex piece of Show Equipment they have produced.

Just look at all that thing does. It's a wonder.

sponono88

In reply to jt104:

Epcot does not need a new fireworks show, Illuminations is pretty much a 21st century type fireworks show. If Illuminations is still going on after 10 years, it is a highly amazing success. I've seen it 3 times, and I was still baffled every time.

Look at Hollywood Studios (off topic). Fantasmic! was their only hope, and 11 years after it premiered, it's still going strong. I think MK, E, or HS should not replace any fireworks show (except Wishes turning into HalloWishes and so on). OLD? Nope. NEEDS TO BE 21ST CENTURY? Already is. *though Fantasmic needs an upgrade :p*

I agree. The show doesn't feel old, it is still very much relevant. Is it 21st century? I don't know. In some aspects it is, but technology progresses rapidly. The globe upgrade Epcot Explorer talked about is a step in the right direction. As others already mentioned earlier, other shows like Braviseamo, and soon WoC, use advanced equipment that Illuminations could use as well. advanced fountains, fire balls/whips, new laser technology, etc.

PalisadesPkteer

I think it would be great if they upgraded some parts of ROE, but I feel the show itself is perfect for EPCOT.

I was there one night and a husband and his wife from California watched it with me and they said "Wow" several times. They had not been to EPCOT for several years (I think they told me the last time they were there was 1986 or 1988. )

Both told me this was better than any show they had seen at WDW.

One other time a couple from Canada said pretty much the same thing.

If the water sequences can get the WOC upgrade I will be more than happy.

(Now if we can only get them to bring back Tapestry of Nations!!!!!)

EPCOT Explorer

I agree. The show doesn't feel old, it is still very much relevant. Is it 21st century? I don't know. In some aspects it is, but technology progresses rapidly. The globe upgrade Epcot Explorer talked about is a step in the right direction. As others already mentioned earlier, other shows like Braviseamo, and soon WoC, use advanced equipment that Illuminations could use as well. advanced fountains, fire balls/whips, new laser technology, etc.
Right!:wave:

And, hopefully, with the success of WoC, we will see the tech implemented.

hpyhnt 1000

Yupp. Anyone knows why RoE updated their earth barge? Small upgrade, replacement?

BTW, Fantasmic NEEDS an upgrade. Who's with me? :D

It needed to be done, and it was a complete replacement of the screens. The old LED screen system was a decade old. Diode screen technology has come a long way since the late 90s. Now, with the upgraded LED system, the images are much clearer and brighter than they have been. :)

And Fant! could use some upgrade, yes. (So could RoE for that matter. I'm looking at you fountain barges. :lookaroun)

MousDad

Name one time that Disney has replaced an enduring, successful, theme-park defining, well-loved attraction with something that ends up being better.

prbiker15

It needed to be done, and it was a complete replacement of the screens. The old LED screen system was a decade old. Diode screen technology has come a long way since the late 90s. Now, with the upgraded LED system, the images are much clearer and brighter than they have been. :)

And Fant! could use some upgrade, yes. (So could RoE for that matter. I'm looking at you fountain barges. :lookaroun)

Fountain barges need a definite update. Add some comet pyro during the globe in the middle of the show, and exciting fountains. Other than that, RoE doesn't that big of an update, except the middle of the show. What needs a big upgrade is like I said, Fantasmic.

imagineer boy

The only major change I'd like to see the show get is sort of a refreshment, like a "ROE 2.0" if you will. Like maybe a few new firework effects, new earth globe footage, and definately new fountains. I'd love to see them bring TDS' BraviSEAmo fountains to the show, they would improve the middle section immensely.

But for the most part I'd like to keep the show the same way it is. Especially the score.

EPCOT Explorer

Yep.

*looks at WoC screens*

It's funny though....Illumi88's Laser Screens inspire F!'s. F!'s inspire RoE's...And RoE's/F!'s go to WoC. :D

It's all a big circle.
Name one time that Disney has replaced an enduring, successful, theme-park defining, well-loved attraction with something that ends up being better.
DCA?:lookaroun:lol:

Personally, I would say SSE86 to SSE94. I loved 86, but 94 took the cake.

WDW1974

I love RoE, probably seen it more times than any other Disney pyro show.

But it's time to be replaced by something BETTER.

The show was introduced for a new Millennium and one that seemed to promise new and great things for all. Well, it's not been a very good decade and while some might say it's core message about going on is timeless -- it is -- it also seems very simplistic in a post 9/11 world.

The idea that shows should go forever isn't a sound one, no matter how good they are ... although I personally might rather see Wishes leave first.

Let's take 21st century technology and develop a new show based on EPCOT's core themes, but FW and WS and combine for the next WOW night spectacular at WDW.

On a totally unrelated note, I was home this afternoon and flipping through the channels and was shocked to see a national ad for DL's Fantasmic (and new and very kewl, having seen it two weekends ago, dragon) on ABC. Very surprised.

jt04

The show was introduced for a new Millennium and one that seemed to promise new and great things for all. Well, it's not been a very good decade and while some might say it's core message about going on is timeless -- it is -- it also seems very simplistic in a post 9/11 world.

The idea that shows should go forever isn't a sound one, no matter how good they are ... although I personally might rather see Wishes leave first.

Let's take 21st century technology and develop a new show based on EPCOT's core themes, but FW and WS and combine for the next WOW night spectacular at WDW.

On a totally unrelated note, I was home this afternoon and flipping through the channels and was shocked to see a national ad for DL's Fantasmic (and new and very kewl, having seen it two weekends ago, dragon) on ABC. Very surprised.

I agree with bolded.

EPCOT Explorer

Honestly, I think that's what we have here. It's a synthesis of the feeling that (honestly, the OLDER) FW Pavilions provide, in the setting of a multicultral community. Can't get anymore EPCOT than that, Spirit! :lol:

I do agree, though...ANYthing can be better. Hence, I say for them to update, not completely scrap the show. Here, of course, I am talking about the music. That's the only thing that can not be better, IMHO. It just works. Conveys the mood, the feeling, the emotion, and the meaning of this show perfectly. You feel it because of that music. It's unique...something I always disliked about the old Illumi shows. It was "highbrow" classical medleys in "boring" old "attendance problem prone" EPCOT Center.

This unique music is more relatable, I think. Especially the vocals.

Tech however? Refurb away. :D

And a DL advert on NATIONAL TV? Wow. I'll have to look for it.

MousDad

As much as it pains me, I have to be honest to myself and admit that there's no way in a million years they will re-do the show, without changing the music. It would quite simply never be possible from an artistic point of view. I am begrudgingly prepared for it. Just like they will never keep the current Soarin' score when they change the Soarin' film.

(Speaking of which, Disney has another great track record in re-working musical scores. TON to TOD, anyone?)

My position on I:ROE, yes it needs to be changed at some point. But you have to keep the Illuminations brand. I just think it would be a mistake to develop the next show, and have it not be Illuminations: _______ .

Took Epcot 5 years of experimenting (New World Fantasy, Laserphonic Fantasy) to settle on the winning formula. And that brought us Illuminations, Illuminations 25, Illuminations 98, Illuminations: ROE, which has worked effectively for 21 years.

So go ahead and develop the next great Illuminations show. Wow Spirit's and jt's shorts off. (Just make sure my back is turned please.)

My one request is that they announce the last I:ROE night at least a week ahead of time, so I can be there.

EPCOT Explorer

As much as it pains me, I have to be honest to myself and admit that there's no way in a million years they will re-do the show, without changing the music. It would quite simply never be possible from an artistic point of view. I am begrudgingly prepared for it. Just like they will never keep the current Soarin' score when they change the Soarin' film.

(Speaking of which, Disney has another great track record in re-working musical scores. TON to TOD, anyone?)

My position on I:ROE, yes it needs to be changed at some point. But you have to keep the Illuminations brand. I just think it would be a mistake to develop the next show, and have it not be Illuminations: _______ .

Took Epcot 5 years of experimenting (New World Fantasy, Laserphonic Fantasy) to settle on the winning formula. And that brought us Illuminations, Illuminations 25, Illuminations 98, Illuminations: ROE, which has worked effectively for 21 years.

So go ahead and develop the next great Illuminations show. Wow Spirit's and jt's shorts off. (Just make sure my back is turned please.)

My one request is that they announce the last I:ROE night at least a week ahead of time, so I can be there.

I don't know about that. I would think Soarin's music would be kept. Maybe ROE's too, if they decided to go this route.

Agreed in full with keeping the "IllumiNations:_________" tag. It's EPCOT. It needs to stay. And I love subtitles. :lol:

MousDad

I don't know about that. I would think Soarin's music would be kept. Maybe ROE's too, if they decided to go this route.

Agreed in full with keeping the "IllumiNations:_________" tag. It's EPCOT. It needs to stay. And I love subtitles. :lol:

If they keep the current score, then they're just revising the current show. There's no way they can develop a new show and keep the music. The score and other elements of the current show are inseparable.

And if they plug new footage into the current Soarin' film, every film composer in history would either roll over in their grave or want to throw tomatoes.

But if you do end up being right, I won't really complain, just be surprised. You know I love both those scores.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom