Does this happen often? (Speedway Flood)

FutureKid

Original Poster
Hi, :wave:

I don't usually post on here often but one of my friends had these pics up on facebook and I was just wondering if this happens often to the speedway??

How does Disney not have proper drainage in this area!? :shrug:

Thanks!!

sw.jpg

sw2.jpg

sw3.jpg

EPCOTPluto

:eek: That's awesome!

Now the Speedway have James Bond style amphibious cars to putt-putt around now?!?!?!

Or will it be the Great Tomorrowland Canoe Race?

:animwink:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
That's the speedboat division! :lookaroun

By the looks of it there's some major downpour going on there. Either the drains were overwhelmed [it happens in real heavy rain] or perhaps got clogged by debris and the CMs shown are wading out to unplug them?

EPCOTPluto

By the looks of it there's some major downpour going on there. Either the drains were overwhelmed [it happens in real heavy rain] or perhaps got clogged by debris and the CMs shown are wading out to unplug them?
Well, Florida did had some pretty heavy rains recently, so I won't be surprised if it was due to the drains.

Phonedave

That's the speedboat division! :lookaroun

That is what it looks like.

A combo of the two.

The street where I grew up is a short little 2 house long street, with a hill leading down to a garden club at the end. However, it is also at the bottom of a long hill.

Somtimes, in the summer, if we had a really good downpour we would get enough water in the street that we could take pool floats out and float on them down the street.

When the rain stopped, the water in the street would last for maybe a minute, before the drains took it all away.

It looks like something similar was happening at the speedway.

-dave

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
2 things......

First....Tomorrowland will flood pretty quickly and drain off just as quickly.

Second....I am the only one that would really love to take one of the cars through that?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The MK has a mighty storm drain system, but if the drains/grids get blocked and a Floridian downpour hits the whole system, all at the same time it can become overwhelmed as you can see.

The Speedway corner by SM is also one of the lowest areas of the park, has no Utilidor underbank, and does have a whole lot of flat concrete.

brkgnews

The MK has a mighty storm drain system, but if the drains/grids get blocked and a Floridian downpour hits the whole system, all at the same time it can become overwhelmed as you can see.

The Speedway corner by SM is also one of the lowest areas of the park, has no Utilidor underbank, and does have a whole lot of flat concrete.
Epcot has great drainage too in World Showcase (let's face it... there's a freaking lagoon right there)... but you remember how quickly it became overwhelmed too on "that night" :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Epcot has great drainage too in World Showcase (let's face it... there's a freaking lagoon right there)... but you remember how quickly it became overwhelmed too on "that night" :lol:
Well mother nature did drop about 20" of rain on us in the span of about 1 hour "that night".:lol:

Rob562

Second....I am the only one that would really love to take one of the cars through that?

Actually, I think they decided to add a splashdown ending like the Matterhorn... Or perhaps they were testing out a new hydroplaning effect for Test Track... :lol:

-Rob

Considering I stalled one of those cars at Cedar Point, causing me to derail going backwards and hit a planter pretty hard, I'm sure I'd manage to "flood" the engine if I took off into this. Fun idea though.

Disneybub

We had i down pour in October 07 at MNSSHP and i was under the TTA and the water was up over our ankles!!! It was crazy - but nothing like that!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom