Does Michael Jackson belong at WDW?

Is "Captain EO" (starring Michael Jackson) an appropriate attraction in Disney Parks?

• Yes, MJ was a great performer who deserves to be honored

Votes: 105 48.8%
  • No, MJ's personal issues "cross the line" of Disney's standards

Votes: 110 51.2%

• Total voters

Courtney1188

As someone stated in a different thread that I happened to agree with...I have a hard time believing that if the parents truly believed their children had been molested that they would simply accept an out of court settlement, no matter the dollar amount, and allow that to be the end of it. As a parent myself there's no way in hell that would fly with myself or my wife. Which is why I have a hard time with any of the sexual abuse allegations.

That is a good point, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Evil Genius

Let me also point out that Disney isn't always going to be about the big money grab when faced with issues such as this.

Does anyone else not get the timing as Alien Encounter being "re-imagined" so coincidentally about the EXACT same time that the accusation and conviction of actor Jeffrey Jones took place?

Until WDW builds a cemetery I am going to say no.

:lol: This made me chuckle.

I guess MJ belongs in WDW if they put him there. Now the real question is: does my family belong in WDW, given WDW's bad choices of role models? For now, we just avoid this attraction. In the future, if more similar decisions are made, WDW (sadly) is not the place for us.

It would be very different if MJ was portrayed as the evil character that is conquered by the hero/heroine. That would give kids the right message. But no, it is as if Cruella de Vil is given her own tribute show to pretend to be a heroine. It doesn't work, and is downright confusing. :veryconfu

Evil Genius

:lol: This made me chuckle.

I guess MJ belongs in WDW if they put him there. Now the real question is: does my family belong in WDW, given WDW's bad choices of role models? For now, we just avoid this attraction. In the future, if more similar decisions are made, WDW (sadly) is not the place for us.

It would be very different if MJ was portrayed as the evil character that is conquered by the hero/heroine. That would give kids the right message. But no, it is as if Cruella de Vil is given her own tribute show to pretend to be a heroine. It doesn't work, and is downright confusing. :veryconfu

But again, that basically says you've condemned the man when in actuality we don't know.

Also, what makes him a role model? Because he's a hero in the film? Do you avoid movies that cast actors/actresses that have alleged torrid pasts? Are we not able to disconnect fantasy from reality (not matter what that reality may be) and see that when MJ is on the screen (or any other performer with a questionable past) they aren't themselves, but a character.

Michael Jackson isn't the role model...Captain EO is. That is the responsibility of the parent to help their young children discern between fantasy and reality.

sweetpee_1993

Despite his alleged priest like tendencies Its better than a shuttered attraction, after all it should take some out of the Soarin and TT lines. Those of us who like music can just ignore the theatre and seek solace in the world showcase bars

I always appreciate your perspective. :D

Has anyone else ever noticed when people pass away they all suddenly earn the status of martyr or saint? Certainly applies with MJ. Before he passed nobody had paid him a bit of attention in years. He had no relevance anymore. Nobody cared what he was doing or not doing and didn't utter his name unless they were busting a joke related to his controversies. The guy dies (unfortunate circumstances, I agree) and suddenly he's the the most talented artist who ever lived that the whole world thinks should be immortalized at every turn. They're wearing shirts, crying on tv, and singing his praises every chance they get. Why? Where was this love and attention when he was alive? I guess for some hypocrisy knows no bounds. I don't feed into it. I felt he was talented and had a great career. I was an awestruck fan back in the Thriller days same as all the girls my age. I enjoyed his music from time to time over the years. I appreciate the man's accomplishments and talents. Maybe he would've reinvented himself, maybe not. We'll never know. I'm no hater of who MJ is or was. I just believe EO at this time is for all the wrong reasons, plain and simple.

Evil Genius

Has anyone else ever noticed when people pass away they all suddenly earn the status of martyr or saint? Certainly applies with MJ. Before he passed nobody had paid him a bit of attention in years. He had no relevance anymore. Nobody cared what he was doing or not doing and didn't utter his name unless they were busting a joke related to his controversies. The guy dies (unfortunate circumstances, I agree) and suddenly he's the the most talented artist who ever lived that the whole world thinks should be immortalized at every turn. They're wearing shirts, crying on tv, and singing his praises every chance they get. Why? Where was this love and attention when he was alive? I guess for some hypocrisy knows no bounds. I don't feed into it. I felt he was talented and had a great career. I was an awestruck fan back in the Thriller days same as all the girls my age. I enjoyed his music from time to time over the years. I appreciate the man's accomplishments and talents. Maybe he would've reinvented himself, maybe not. We'll never know. I'm no hater of who MJ is or was. I just believe EO at this time is for all the wrong reasons, plain and simple.

Oh I don't think you'll get any debate from anyone here that the core reason for the resurgence of EO is based on Disney wanting to capitalize on his death. I think that goes without saying.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

One of the best ways for a celebrity to regain popularity is to die suddenly and preferably tragically. It is stupid beyond all reason but it is a fact of life.

sweetpee_1993

One of the best ways for a celebrity to regain popularity is to die suddenly and preferably tragically. It is stupid beyond all reason but it is a fact of life.

I've also seen this happen with an uncle in my family and one in my hubby's family. Both were married to our aunts, horrible alcoholics, and both physically & mentally abusive to their wives and children. When both died they were suddenly the salt of the earth. I don't hold grudges and bear no ill will towards the deceased. It's just something I noticed and gave thought to over the years. Then MJ passed and it was like... :shrug:

Which is kind of sad

Agreed. That's where I think the Disney Gods should be ashamed of themselves. :rolleyes:

Courtney1188

Very true! At the time of his death I was working as a cashier at a popular store that sells CDs. Hadn't sold a Michael Jackson CD in ages. They announced his death...and in the next 30 MINUTES we sold all of our Michael Jackson CDs to customers who were actually crying as if a close relative had passed away. I was dumbfounded.

But again, that basically says you've condemned the man when in actuality we don't know.

Yes. As you mention, discerning between good and bad are a necessary part of parenting.

Also, what makes him a role model? Because he's a hero in the film?

Yes.

Do you avoid movies that cast actors/actresses that have alleged torrid pasts?

Yes.

Are we not able to disconnect fantasy from reality (not matter what that reality may be) and see that when MJ is on the screen (or any other performer with a questionable past) they aren't themselves, but a character.

(Most) Adults can distinguish fantasy from reality. Children cannot. How many children think the characters in costumes are real?

Michael Jackson isn't the role model...Captain EO is. That is the responsibility of the parent to help their young children discern between fantasy and reality.

Agreed. It is also the responsibility of a parent to train up a child in the way they should go. MJ on the screen as a hero, with his past, does not aid me in this endeavor in any way. In fact, it undermines my instruction.

My children will learn to distinguish fantasy and reality, and I have every intention of helping them along the way. I have discerned that EO is not a worthwhile curriculum choice in this lesson.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
For what? Did you remember him before he died?

there were many in the UK excited by the prospect of his farewell shows at the O2 in london, there were many more desperate for him to crash and burn, and a few who would make money off his efforts regardless of which path events took. Both camps were of course manipulated to the full by the scum in the media. :shrug:

Still Jacko snuffed it and we got housewives choice Bon Jovi and Aerosmith instead. Funny old world

Tater48

I voted NO. This just gives us a good reason to stay out of Epcot on our upcoming trip.

swz2wp.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom