Does Disney ruin all of your other vacations?

Fun2BFree

Yes and no. I've never been able to take a Mediterranean holiday since- we spent a fortnight in Rhodes a while back, but it was too slow and boring, even at the nightclubs. Many places we go, we'll fit in the local amusement park, but we only end up comparing it negatively to Disney. :lol:

firedog31

My family and I are leaving for Washington DC and Hershey in a little over a month, and I am also going to WDW in Oct. with my best friend. Even with my family vacation so close, ALL I can think about is my Disney vacation. I know I'll have fun in DC, but for me, nothing can compare to the joy I get from looking forward to my WDW vacations. Is anyone else out there like this?
Being from dc I can say that you can not compare it do disney but the is alot of stuff to do. If you have not been before check out the American history and air and space musems downtown plus any of the art ones if you are interested. You also have Kngs Dominion about 2 hours outside of dc that is a good time so hope you have a fun while in town.

Jessie&Buzz

We are going to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg and DC at the end of June. All I ask my hubby is "when are we going back to Disney World?". He gets so mad at me. We went to Hershey Park a few weeks ago and it doesn't compare to Disney at all. Yes the rides are nice but the park isn't as nice. We went on a discounted ticket or we wouldn't have gone. No way will I pay full price for it.

I am excited to show my son (age 5) around DC. Our daughter (age 10) has been many times. My hubby was on a deployment to the city many times including Sept 11 where he helped people at the Pentagon. Also my father in laws name is on the Wall so we want to show our son that since he's never seen it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would not say that it ruins other vacations but it does leave me a bit disappointed in the level of service and quality that you get at other places. I guess I have been a bit spoiled by the Disney CMs. The last time we went to WDW we stayed off property and I kept looking around at all of the stuff that was worn, broken or just not up to par and kept thing that I would never see this stuff on property. When it came to dealing with the employees at this place the difference really showed. It took three trips to the front desk to add one day to our week long stay and not because we were waiting for a cancellation or anything like that, the people at the front desk did not know how to do it.

We live 10 minuets max from Dorney Park and Wild Water Kingdom, An hour and a half from Hershey Park, and about the same to Six Flags Great Adventure. We never go to any of them...it's just not the same as WDW...:shrug:

cinderellafan6

I am the same way. I cant think of any other place that I would want to go on vacation. My family and I have 2 timeshares every sept in the Keys and my dad and I are always sitting on the beach there planning our next trip to Disney!! I could go to Disney on every vacation and be completely happy.

cinderellafan6

O yea and this summer my best friend is getting married in Philly, but my bf and I could only afford one big trip this year so we still decided to go to Disney instead of her wedding. Yea I know thats really bad but I cant help myself..im obsessed!!:shrug:

IndyDisney

I'm in an interesting situation. I travel a ton for work, and usually spend a week in each city/area that I'm in. Since I have evening free in these areas, I get to "see the sights" and "explore" a lot of these areas, so I have "mini vacations" while I'm working (not relaxing by any means, but I get the exposure of the being in a lot of parts of the country).

So vacation, to me, is always to some place either super relaxing (Cancun) or some place that's straight fun (Vegas or, of course, WDW).

I haven't been to WDW since '05, so I'm jonsin' for a week with The Mouse.

Hopefully 2009!

Cheers,
Dave

DAKOTADISNEY

We have loved our Disney vacations and will hopefully go back in a few years. My problem is to plan a vacation for next winter to a different destination. We will probably go to DC. I got so spoiled with WDW and staying on property. Now I have to search the internet for hotels and decide which one looks best, plus figure out transportation and other details. With Disney everything is there to choose from and I knew we all would have a good time. Plus all of the great websites (like this one) to help with planning questions.

Timmay

Let’s put it this way…

I love going to WDW and DL. I really do. It is something I look forward to a great deal. But it’s fake, it’s not real. It’s smoke and mirrors, and there is nothing wrong with that. It’s perfect, actually.

But the list of some of the places I have been in the last 20 years kind of put WDW and DL to shame.

Washington DC, where I visited blocks and blocks worth of museums, monuments, Arlington cemetery, and not far away from there are the battlefields of Gettysburg, Williamsburg and Fredericksburg, where thousands of men died fighting during the Civil War

The Black Hills of South Dakota, where Mount Rushmore resides along side miles and miles of underground caves.

Yellowstone Park, one of the most beautiful places on earth.

The beaches of Normandy France, where men from the US, GB, Canada, Poland, France and other nations assaulted Hitler’s Atlantic Wall in the effort to liberate Europe. Not far from there I saw the town of Bastogne, where men from the 101st Airborne Division held out against a numerically superior foe that surrounded them in the dead of winter.

In northern California stand trees that are hundreds of feet tall and thought to be the oldest living things on our planet. Seals and whales are easily seen and heard from the beaches in this area.

In the country of Belize, I hiked through a jungle, ate wild bananas, and rode an inner-tube on a river through caves.

Las Vegas, where I gave up blackjack and craps (I figured out I helped build a few hotels out there) and began playing poker in the mid 1990’s. The highlight coming when I got to play in a WSOP event back in 2003.

A cabin on a lake here in my home of Colorado. Just sitting watching the sun come up and doing…nothing.

See, all those things are real…I can reach out and touch them. They all have meaning to me. My trips to Disney with my family mean the world to me, and I am always drawn back there time and time again. But I don’t even know how my life would be fun or exciting if I hadn’t experienced those other things. There is a meaningful life outside of Disney…trust me.

dove_

Not really..

To me, Disney is actually not really a vacation. My dad is in the national guard, and we've always been go-go-go every time we're at disney. We love it, of course, it's a lot of fun, but we go on other vacations too, and I just don't really put them in the same category. There's such a huge difference between going to disney, cruising around honolulu, touring a battlefield in PA, or even just camping at the beach near my house. They're all fun in different ways.

yankspy

Being from dc I can say that you can not compare it do disney but the is alot of stuff to do. If you have not been before check out the American history and air and space musems downtown plus any of the art ones if you are interested. You also have Kngs Dominion about 2 hours outside of dc that is a good time so hope you have a fun while in town.
American history is closed right now, unfortunately. One thing that is a must see for anyone visiting D.C. is the main reading room at the Library of Congress. It is often overlooked, which is a shame because it is absolutely breathtaking.

maggiegrace1

Let’s put it this way…

I love going to WDW and DL. I really do. It is something I look forward to a great deal. But it’s fake, it’s not real. It’s smoke and mirrors, and there is nothing wrong with that. It’s perfect, actually.

But the list of some of the places I have been in the last 20 years kind of put WDW and DL to shame.

Washington DC, where I visited blocks and blocks worth of museums, monuments, Arlington cemetery, and not far away from there are the battlefields of Gettysburg, Williamsburg and Fredericksburg, where thousands of men died fighting during the Civil War

The Black Hills of South Dakota, where Mount Rushmore resides along side miles and miles of underground caves.

Yellowstone Park, one of the most beautiful places on earth.

The beaches of Normandy France, where men from the US, GB, Canada, Poland, France and other nations assaulted Hitler’s Atlantic Wall in the effort to liberate Europe. Not far from there I saw the town of Bastogne, where men from the 101st Airborne Division held out against a numerically superior foe that surrounded them in the dead of winter.

In northern California stand trees that are hundreds of feet tall and thought to be the oldest living things on our planet. Seals and whales are easily seen and heard from the beaches in this area.

In the country of Belize, I hiked through a jungle, ate wild bananas, and rode an inner-tube on a river through caves.

Las Vegas, where I gave up blackjack and craps (I figured out I helped build a few hotels out there) and began playing poker in the mid 1990’s. The highlight coming when I got to play in a WSOP event back in 2003.

A cabin on a lake here in my home of Colorado. Just sitting watching the sun come up and doing…nothing.

See, all those things are real…I can reach out and touch them. They all have meaning to me. My trips to Disney with my family mean the world to me, and I am always drawn back there time and time again. But I don’t even know how my life would be fun or exciting if I hadn’t experienced those other things. There is a meaningful life outside of Disney…trust me.
See...the only one of those things that interest me is the one I highlighted...

I am just not interested in the other things you mentioned..I am sure they are wonderful if you like that but to me it has no interest at all..:shrug:

The only other place I want to visit is Vermont..and that is because of the movie Baby Boom..:eek::lookaroun..it is my dream to live there..:D

Iknewagirlnamed

it ruins ANY vacation to be looking forward to the next one before you've even gone on the first...

So true. I plan on moving to Orlando next year, as has been my plan for a decade now. I have traveled all over the US, including 3 trips to DC within the last few years. I love DC. It's very educational and interesting, has a great variety of food, and at the same time you can take it at a leisurely pace if you have the time.

I have also traveled to NYC, Niagara Falls and California. Granted, in Cali I had my Disney fix with a day at Disneyland, and NYC was made way more special with going to The Lion King on Broadway and The NYC Disney store in which I spent $300.00 in 2 hours. :lol:

Any one of those vacations that weren't in Orlando I could have gone to Orlando instead. Why didn't I? Because I know there are many other destinations out there that can fulfill me and make me more worldly. Say I only went to Disney all of my life and never traveled anywhere else. By the time I was older I would deeply regret it.

Disney is my one true love and I don't believe any place else could top it, but that doesn't stop me from exploring all of the great destinations around the World. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom