Does CoP make sense without Horizons?

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
Watching Martin's (rather fantastic) Horizons tribute video for the first time in a while, and was struck by his description of Horizons as a sequel to CoP.

Obviously it makes sense, since CoP tracks the progress of technology through the past and gives just a fleeting nod to the future, while Horizons took the future seriously, both as it had been conceived in the past and as it could potentially form in reality.

It seems like Horizons took the original Tomorrowland "Jetsons" type concept of the future and tried to build that into more potentially realistic realms...another reason to note its connection to CoP, which is in Tomorrowland. (And of course, "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" showed up in one of the "past future" scenes, cementing the intended connection if it wasn't clear enough.)

So anyway...does it make sense to have CoP without Horizons? Not suggesting they tear down CoP if we can't have both, but is it a little like having A New Hope without Empire Strikes Back at this point? How well does the message in CoP stand on its own? Obviously Walt Disney built CoP without Horizons in mind, but since Horizons was built, does it feel like getting only half the story now? Discuss.

(On a personal note, I never saw Horizons live, but it really is a shame that such a sophisticated treatment of human potential had to be scrapped — but hopefully this won't just turn into another "I miss Horizons" thread.) :lol:

Avenger117

Yes it makes sense. It made sense almost 20 years before Horizons opened and makes sense 10 years after it closed. I think it can stand alone just fine. It is sad when almost any attraction is removed though.

drossjr

I miss Horizons and wish that my fiancee and kids could've experienced it but since their first trip was only in 2006 they never did.

However if Horizons was still here it would need a major update so that the scenes don't seem irrelevant. Same thing goes with COP

But I wish we had Horizons over Mission Space. MS was great the first time but now I am sick of it

EPCOT Explorer

No...It makes no sense. We need Horizons back. :D

While the two are linked, I think they are different enough to be had separately, though. As we unfortunately have now.

hammysammy59

They totally make sense without having both. My third trip (i.e. the first one I was old enough to remember) I remember we rode Horizons a BUNCH (because there was hardly a line) and we never made a connection to CoP, which didn't make it any less fun and awesome.

I never really understood the timeline of the Indiana Jones movies. Why is Temple of Doom a prequel? The trilogy (there's a fourth one, what? That sounds made up) never really mentions past events in the movie's universe. I feel like you could theoretically jumble up those movies in any order and it'd be just as valid as the official timeline.

Figment632

They totally make sense without having both. My third trip (i.e. the first one I was old enough to remember) I remember we rode Horizons a BUNCH (because there was hardly a line) and we never made a connection to CoP, which didn't make it any less fun and awesome.

I never really understood the timeline of the Indiana Jones movies. Why is Temple of Doom a prequel? The trilogy (there's a fourth one, what? That sounds made up) never really mentions past events in the movie's universe. I feel like you could theoretically jumble up those movies in any order and it'd be just as valid as the official timeline.

nOT REALLY SURE WHY BUT tod TAKES PLAC 1 YEAR BEFORE rROTLA

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Having never had the pleasure of experiencing Horizons and being a fan of CoP, yes it makes sense.

Dizzy Whirled

Made sense then, makes sense now

The Carrousel of Progress did indeed make perfect sense when I first experienced it in 1965 at the New York Worlds Fair ...

... well before anybody had even heard of such a thing as Walt Disney World.

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
The Carrousel of Progress did indeed make perfect sense when I first experienced it in 1965 at the New York Worlds Fair ...
You are one lucky guy/gal! That must have been some experience.

At any rate, I get the feeling that, in the interest of a simple thread title, I might have given the impression that I was asking a question to which the answer is quite obviously "yes...why would you ask that?" :lol:

I think the central issue I was trying to get at here is better summed up in this snippet:

"Obviously Walt Disney built CoP without Horizons in mind, but since Horizons was built, does it feel like getting only half the story now? Discuss."

CoP was built as a stand-alone and functioned as such for most of two decades, so I'm not so much literally asking "Does it make sense?" as I am wondering if people who experienced both attractions feel like a vital narrative development of CoP has been wiped away, or if CoP still functions perfectly well by itself in a post-Horizons world. (That would have made for a pretty lengthy thread title, though.) :lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Watching Martin's (rather fantastic) Horizons tribute video for the first time in a while,
Thank you :eek:

I think COP makes perfect sense still. Horizons was loosely based as a sequel to the COP in family members and structure. COP came first, and if it were the other way around Horizons would still work without the COP.

It was just a nice touch to be able to ride COP, then ride Horizons for a loose extention of the story.

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
ehhhh another why isnt horizons around thread :brick:

Au contraire! This is a very unique and specifically targeted "Why isn't Horizons around?" thread! :eek:

Actually, as I pointed out in the first post, I never rode Horizons (so I'm not really capable of missing it) and sincerely hoped this would not turn into another "poor, poor Horizons" funeral. So far it hasn't. :D

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster

I think COP makes perfect sense still. Horizons was loosely based as a sequel to the COP in family members and structure. COP came first, and if it were the other way around Horizons would still work without the COP.

It was just a nice touch to be able to ride COP, then ride Horizons for a loose extention of the story.
You're welcome, and thanks for the insight. Based on what I've seen, I think I would agree with you that the tie-in was loose enough to allow both to stand alone at any time. Which is as it probably should be, when you're dealing with autonomous attractions in separately ticketed parks.

I just thought this might make for an interesting topic to get people's thoughts on.

EPCOT Explorer

Even though they were in two different parks?

...Yet another thematic reason to push CoP to EPCOT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom