does anyone remember "If I could fly" in the MK?

SouthernGirl75

Original Poster
When I was a little girl, I swear I remember riding something in the Magic Kingdom similar to "SOARIN". My husband thinks Im crazy. I was there in 1987? next visit was 2004 and then 2008. Its not there, Ive searched. :ROFLOL:HELP PLEASE!!!

Rob562

"If You Had Wings" was sponsored by Eastern Airlines. When Eastern dropped its sponsorship, the attraction became "If You Could Fly" with all of the Eastern references removed.

Something similar happened with its replacement. Delta's "Dreamflight" became "Take Flight" after Delta pulled out.

-Rob

MKCP 1985

If they built it today, people would have to pay extra to sit on the aisle and they'd somehow lose your pack and camera bag before they let you out at the end. :hammer:

but yeah, you are thinking of "If You Could Fly." There was one big looking room toward the end where it seemed like you were flying over various vistas. That's now the big dark room toward the end of Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. :wave:

Club Cooloholic

Not till I saw the youtube, and the part witht he sillioutes... I do remember that ride, man I was just a little kid when I rode that...it was great!

KingStefan

I really loved If You Had Wings! Rode it over and over. Didn't require a ticket.

It wasn't really similar to Soarin' from a mechanical standpoint, but the concept was similar. You sat in a ride vehicle and rode through several "rooms". The rooms were shaped more or less like a tube and had images projected on the walls. Wind was blown on your face, and IIRC there were scents injected. It was supposed to make you feel like you were flying through the different scenes.

It was where Buzz is now, and used more or less the same track path, I think.

SouthernGirl75

Original Poster
thanks to all of you!

im so glad to read these replies! I really did think I just imagined it. I remember the different rooms now too. I loved the ride and really wanted to go on it after all these years! oh well, at least i can prove it to my husband. lol :)

remixboypa

this was actually one of my favorite rides when I first went to disney, that and Mission to Mars :) now if only they can bring that back and evict the ride that is there now ... LOL

firemandisney

this was actually one of my favorite rides when I first went to disney, that and Mission to Mars :) now if only they can bring that back and evict the ride that is there now ... LOL
I assume you mean stitch? Yeah, its BAD
However, Buzz is a GREAT ride where "wings" used to be.
Lets put back "if you had wings" where stich is now.
I think that would get 100% approval.

Fun2BFree

I assume you mean stitch? Yeah, its BAD
However, Buzz is a GREAT ride where "wings" used to be.
Lets put back "if you had wings" where stich is now.
I think that would get 100% approval.

Mission to Mars occupied the SGE slot before AE. And though I would welcome a IYHW comeback, Tomorrowland is the wrong place-- indeed at the dawn of New Tomorrowland, the fictional sponsorship of the Tomorrowland Metro-Retro Society was needed to very flimsily tie it into the theme. Epcot would be a much better place in my opinion. :shrug:

The Empress Lilly

Aaahhh...If You Had Wings. Loved it! :sohappy:

Great way to experience all sorts of futuristic stuff, like, travelling all over the Caribbean, in cutting edge technology like an airplane!
By which I mean to say that however fond I am of IYHW, it is not an attraction that would've stood the test of time very well. If it were still here today, it would look silly I think.
Alas though, half of me salutes the constant change, half of me is overwhelmed with nostalgia for the old rides. :cry:

I do wish WDW would build more rides like IYHW. You know, B- C- or D- rides. Omnimovers, fast-loading crowd eaters, never a line. Not interactive. Great scenes, showmanship, atmosphere. Rides that audiences emotionally connect with.
Surely, it is not a coincidence that so many people should have such fond memories of what basically was a very simple, even cheap ride like IYHW?

Yea my dad was going down memory lane yesterday and swore that there was a ride so of course i youtubed it and found it. He was so surprised someone took video and still had it! It looked like a cool ride but i never experienced it. Boy that song gets stuck in your head!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom