Does anyone remember Disney World in 1987

Nut4Disney

I remember going in 1986 and they were giving away prizes as part of the 15th anniversary celebration. I won a visor with flashing lights...WOOOO HOOO! :p

I remember seeing the construction walls up around Norway with the coming soon sign.....ah those were the days :)

I didn't win anything but my mom won a Disney VHS movie.

son of walt

Did they showcase Malestrom in that special too? With that big dude, I forgot his name...
Willard Scott. man this is funny. my sister and i taped that special and watched it everyday for about a year seems like. they had the mickey mouse club singing at typhoon lagoon. the cheerleaders on hollywood blvd. now that i think about it, that had to have been about the 4th of july special. cause mgm opened in '89, and the cheerleaders were dancing to living in america by james brown. somebody refresh my memory on nailing down the time on that.

a2grafix

Wow, nearly 20 years ago. I remember it, sort of, yeah. Fuzzy, though but I did keep some stuff from the parks in my memorbillia box.

Let's see, for some reason I kept seven, yes seven 15th anniversary napkins. Red, white and blue with a blue Cinderella's castle and red Spaceship Earth. I also have pictures of and and around the park and one of the most cool ones is me and my family posing with Minnie Mouse dressed as a geisha outside of the Japan pavillion (you should see my forster grants! -- oh man the clothing styles we used to wear back then! Cool, yet, not so cool :lookaroun ).

I even have stashed away two pretty prestine copies of "Do It All At Disney" resort and vacation guide. One is purple with name of attractions throughout the cover and the other is pinkish-red with red mickey ears balloons and the 15th anniversary logo. Pretty much the same guide but the 15th anniversary cover one has a few extra pages promoting the 15th for WDW. Pretty sweet picture of Mickey, Minnie and Goofy in front of a huge anniversary cake.

Oh, yeah, my sister won one of those sun visors as being one of those instant winners. I have a used park hopper ticket somewhere too from around this time.

Oh, I have something called "Eyes and Ears," I guess an every-other-week newspaper prepared for the WDW cast. My dad worked with a few people for his business with people inside Disney and went to these offices somewhere in the park -- buiness offices -- and dad picked up an issue. In it there was a few lines about some new construction project for a new casting center, that was built in the late 1980s near the then-WDW Village/Pleasure Island (now Downtown Disney).

Ahh, the memories.

OH ... and I had something for Michael Jackson back then and when Captain EO came out at Journey Into Imagination Magic Eye Theatre I thought it was so cool. It still is, I think.

Boardwalk Joe's

Willard Scott. man this is funny. my sister and i taped that special and watched it everyday for about a year seems like. they had the mickey mouse club singing at typhoon lagoon. the cheerleaders on hollywood blvd. now that i think about it, that had to have been about the 4th of july special. cause mgm opened in '89, and the cheerleaders were dancing to living in america by james brown. somebody refresh my memory on nailing down the time on that.

Yes, thats it! I taped it too and I watched it over and over and over...

I honestly think its it was the 4th of July special because I remember someone singing 'I am Proud to be an American' or whatever the name of that song is on the Riverboat in MK. Those are two of the highlights that I remember from that special...

uglybug2005

My first trip was in Sept. of 1987, and they were still performing the "15 Years of Magic" parade. "15 years of magic, 15 years of fun! 15 years and we're havin' a party, we're inviting everyone!"

SGT623

Remember it, I was just there! Well, almost. I have been backing up all of my WDW Chsitmas Parade specials from VHS to DVD and just watched the show from 1986 the other night. Many of the things mentioned here are in it... as well as a much younger looking Regis.

Sing along:
"15 years...we're having a Party!"

wedway71

Yep I remember 1987. I also remember 1977.OH wait I remember 1971 too_Oh man Im old:cry: .

I do remember I think in 1987ish WDW gave away a free Oldsmobile(white in color) I think every day if you were like the first person inthe park or something.I also remember in Florida where I lived at the time in 1987 Coca Cola partnered with WDW to make special cans that had Disney characters on 12 packs-like Mickey, Minnie,Goofy, and Donald.

I also have a 1986-87 WDW Casting brochure I called for and got.

Nemo14

I do remember I think in 1987ish WDW gave away a free Oldsmobile(white in color) I think every day if you were like the first person inthe park or something.

It wasn't necessarily the first person in the park - it was pretty much a random selection when you entered the MK.

uglybug2005

Apparently, I saw the 15th anniversary parade during its last few weeks.
Sept 30, 1987 was the debut of The All America Parade, in honor of the bicentennial of the US Constitution. It featured the world's largest free-flying American flag, which was hoisted up by helicopter behind Cinderella Castle.

Desperad07

Apparently, I saw the 15th anniversary parade during its last few weeks.
Sept 30, 1987 was the debut of The All America Parade, in honor of the bicentennial of the US Constitution. It featured the world's largest free-flying American flag, which was hoisted up by helicopter behind Cinderella Castle.

Ummmmmm, wasn't the bicentennial in 1976?

russ707

Yes, 1987 was a great year to visit WDW. I too have a VHS of the show at the castle and it was a patriotic salute to the good ol' USA. The music was great and like most Disney songs, they get easily stuck in your head. It was also my first encounter with Carousel of Progress. It completely impressed me and so the version, "Best Time of Your Life," has to be my favorite (though the current version is very good).

mitchk

Original Poster
A lot of people keep mentioning the 15 year celebration. I remember there was a big clock that had Mickey on it (I think it was in front before you went through the main gate) Did that have something to do with the 15 year celebration? :hammer:

dixiegirl

Yeah, it was a much better parade than today's. Today's is a bit to sappy if you ask me.

FYI: Magic Kingdom Parade is changing as of August 10th

CRAP!! I love when I read the post first, take a little fit and then read its a thread from 2006...Whew !!! I'm better!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom