Does anyone else have a spouse that hates Disney?

loveofamouse

What do you do?:shrug:

My husband hates Disney. I swear he tries to make sure I don't have a good time, either. I usually ignore him or shut him up with a beer or cigarette. lol. We avg. 1 trip a year. I've tried getting him involved in the other entertainment Disney offers. Nope, he won't spend the money. I've offered to stay in the cabins (he's a self-proclaimed nature guy). Nope, he doesn't like the parking rules there. I've asked him to plan a family vacay he wants to do. Nope, he's a "man and planning is for women." (hey, I never claimed he was mature:p). I am seriously considering not bringing him for the next trip. Ive gone to the World without him before when he was deployed. What do you do when you live with such a nay sayer?:confused:

ThinkTink721

I LOVE Disney...my hubby likes it.
He doesn't get nearly excited about trips as I do.
But, he always seems to have a good time when we go.
:wave:

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster
I LOVE Disney...my hubby likes it.
He doesn't get nearly excited about trips as I do.
But, he always seems to have a good time when we go.
:wave:

Thing is, it's not like he doesn't have a good time! He just won't admit it. lol Everytime he voices a reason as to why he doesn't like theme parks, I try and find a way to resolve the issue so we are both happy. The main problem is I grew up going to the parks. He didn't. He'd never even been until we met so he drags foot about it. Only one time has he ever openly admitted to looking forward to a trip and that was "more for the time away from work." lol.:rolleyes: I know he likes it more than he says.;)
:lol:

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Deciding not to respond to immaturity

I know your original post was most likely written the was it was in order to appear humorous. But the poster who responded, despite the insensitive nature, has a point.

WDW is something you like. It is something your husband does not like (or does not want to appear to like)

You offer alternatives (Ft Wilderness, or he plans a vacation) and he comes up with excuses. The comment about "planning a vacation is womans work"- I can't even begin to tell you how sexist that is.

You are not going to be able to force a person (spouse or otherwise) to like something that they do not. But if they refuse to work with you to come up with alternatives, or they purposely sabotage YOUR fun because THEY are not having fun, that is selfish.

You may just have to put your foot down and say "I am planning a vacation, if you want to help, thats great. If not, I am planning it my way, and if you want to come along thats great, but if you insist on complaining the whole time, then please stay home"

-dave

Upvote 0

disney magic 06

We went to WDW for the first time 1992, when our children were small. My husband quite enjoyed it but as far as he is concerned, that box was ticked and he has no desire to go again. On the other hand, I was hooked and spent the next 10 years or so trying to persuade him that it was money well spent and another trip would bed a good idea - but no joy.

He then decided he didn't much care for holidays at all, so now I go with my now grown up daughter & friends, we have a brilliant time and my husband stays at home and looks after the cat & house. Therefore I have double budget and we are all happy, problem solved :D

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

I believe I would plan the trips as usual and tell him your going and if he cares to join you, fine, if not thats okay too, but that your going to go and have a good time regardless.

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

What do you do?:shrug:

My husband hates Disney. I swear he tries to make sure I don't have a good time, either. I usually ignore him or shut him up with a beer or cigarette. lol. We avg. 1 trip a year. I've tried getting him involved in the other entertainment Disney offers. Nope, he won't spend the money. I've offered to stay in the cabins (he's a self-proclaimed nature guy). Nope, he doesn't like the parking rules there. I've asked him to plan a family vacay he wants to do. Nope, he's a "man and planning is for women." (hey, I never claimed he was mature:p). I am seriously considering not bringing him for the next trip. Ive gone to the World without him before when he was deployed. What do you do when you live with such a nay sayer?:confused:

I wouldn't choose to marry someone who behaves immaturely, needs a beer or cigarette to make Disney tolerable (yuck) or believes anything is "for women". I have higher standards than that..... good luck. Sounds like you need it.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

What to do-

This seems pretty simple. If you want to stay with your husband, go to WDW on your own or with friends. Clearly either he doesn't like Disney or just wants to make you miserable. Why feed into it?
Have a great time at Disney. Life is short. Ditch the husband (either on vacation or for good!)

Upvote 0

disneykidathart

My husband had never been to Disney and has no desire to go. Luckily I have a 19 yr old son who is happy to go. We went for the first time about a year ago and are going again in Jan. I would love to be able to share the great joy I get at Disney with him but he just does not "get it". Over the years (married 28 yrs) we've spent a lot of money on things he wanted to do so now it's my turn to do what I really want.

Upvote 0

AlishaMisha

I had a long time boyfriend who didn't like Disney. He would call me on my trips and demand to know when I was coming home. Which is exactly why I wouldn't tell him even a range of when it would be. Especially since I would be there for at least a month, it was a little more than casual about when I planned on coming back. One year my parent paid for a surprise for me to fly him down. The a** took the offer and made that small part of my trip miserable. He wouldn't even go in a line longer than 15 min! And that was spring break crowds, so it didn't leave me any choices. And if something had a 15 min or less wait he would come out of it and complain about how he didn't like the attraction. Errr my blood is boiling just writing this.

Long story short. I dumped his a** and moved on to a better and non-controlling guy who goes to Disney with me and has a legit good time.

You may not want to leave him now, but trust me, it will become an issue soon enough (assuming you love Disney as much as I do).

Upvote 0

tiaragirl

They boyfriend is hesitant.. I'm hoping he'll be a convert. He keeps saying 'well, I can see going back with my kids someday'.

Let's have kids.

ASAP.

Hahahha.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I at one time had a fiancée that hated Disney. I elected to break things off with her and marry my best friend who at the time loved Disney even more than I did. Best decision I ever made.

Upvote 0

plaz10

Perhaps try a different approach to (for lack of a better word) 'lure' him into a trip. Maybe get the dining plan and dangle the promise of excellent meals in front of him. Especially if its during free dining...tell him he can eat nothing but steak for a week and not pay anything. haha. He may be more interested in planning if he can help pick the restaurants.

But if he really isn't into the Disney scene at all...then perhaps take friends and leave the hubby at home. It will cost less and you won't have to worry if he is having a good time or not.

Upvote 0

Mr Wizard

My deepest sympathies to you on having a spouse that doesn't enjoy one of lifes great rushes. But if separate vacations are acceptable to you both then that is probably your best option. No wasted energy and everyone walks away happpy. I'm lucky enough to have a honey that would go to a Paint Drying Marathon if that's where I wanted to go. But for everyones benefit I like going to WDW better.

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

Sorry but I'm not going to Divorce my husband over disney ;) no matter how much that does make sense here. lol Yes, he occasionally makes stupid sexist remarks cause he thinks it's funny. I just roll my eyes and make man remarks back at him

I guess right now, Im just frustrated. We usually go in the spring so it's time to start talking and planning and he does the same game every year. He acts completely uninterested and keeps saying that he's not going blah blah blah. Then, when it's time to go, he goes. But if something isn't going 100% perfect, he throws a tantrum about it. Last trip, we were leaving BB and the bus took over an hour to show up. Already, it's a frustrating situation but the kids and I were making good about it. He, on the other hand, became a complete sourpuss and went on and on about how he'll never take the busses again and this was all my fault because it was my idea and if we drove...blah blah blah. Next morning, we took the bus and had no bus problems the rest of the trip. When I say a beer, I'm not saying drunk. Just "here's $7 go get a beer." It's like giving a toddler your cellphone inorder to keep the peace lol.

I think, this year, I am going to plan and go without him. More than likely, he'll feel left out and jump in at the last minute, as usual.

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster
I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

And I realize this doesn't help at all. But how did a person who hates Disney come to be your spouse? :)

haha! Cause I thought I could convert him. lol. He lead me to believe he was just Blah about them, not that he hated them. lol. I had hopes:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

tecowdw

Dump him! Disney is the only thing that matters!
:D

Truth is - relationships require compromise sometimes (on both sides). You both need to work on that part, I guess.

If my spouse didn't like Disney, I'd definitely have to consider separate vacations and find someone else to go with. Or just have the spouse follow in tow and keep mouth shut about it! ;)

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster
I know your original post was most likely written the was it was in order to appear humorous. But the poster who responded, despite the insensitive nature, has a point.

WDW is something you like. It is something your husband does not like (or does not want to appear to like)

You offer alternatives (Ft Wilderness, or he plans a vacation) and he comes up with excuses. The comment about "planning a vacation is womans work"- I can't even begin to tell you how sexist that is.

You are not going to be able to force a person (spouse or otherwise) to like something that they do not. But if they refuse to work with you to come up with alternatives, or they purposely sabotage YOUR fun because THEY are not having fun, that is selfish.

Or I'm selfish by continuing to make him go. But yeah, I agree. It's childish and I keep telling him but he doesn't get it.

You may just have to put your foot down and say "I am planning a vacation, if you want to help, thats great. If not, I am planning it my way, and if you want to come along thats great, but if you insist on complaining the whole time, then please stay home"
-dave

That seriously may be the game this time. He does his stupid hunting thing and I say nothing despite the rediculous amount of time it eats. Whatever. And, honestly, I usually don't go completely alone. My dad and brother are disney obsessed so they usually go and, the last few times, I've convinced friends to go. Maybe this will just be a me and the kids thing.... although I'll be damned if he takes a week off of work and lay around the house lmao j/k

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom