Doctor Who (BBC & Disney+ 2023)

The Great Gonzo

You can really tell Disney is involved with Dr Who now.

It seems they want to ruin everything they touch now. Creators (like James Cameron) have to have a no touch policy with them, if they have enough power.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You can really tell Disney is involved with Dr Who now.

It seems they want to ruin everything they touch now. Creators (like James Cameron) have to have a no touch policy with them, if they have enough power.
Um, I think you misunderstand the situation. Disney has no creative involvement in the series, other than to provide additional budgets due to the streaming rights. Disney is only distributing the series outside the UK via D+, the BBC and Russel T. Davies still have creative control over the series.

So yeah what you see as Disney involvement is really the BBC and Davies doing their normal same Doctor Who thing that they have done since 2005 when they rebooted the series.

BrianLo

I've really enjoyed the soft reboot. The first special was ok, but generally I feel we hit an upward trend special to special. Ncuti Gatwa has been delightful already. Something to said about Doctor Who not always having to feel so dour.

It has felt like a really natural point to onboard again, I followed through Peter Capaldi, sort of was falling off during it but did go through it all and dropped off with the 13th doctor.

Magenta Panther

Can you be more specific? The only involvement I've heard of is Disney wanting the new Doctor to show up sooner in the episode. Not sure how that ruined it.
Dr. Who has become Dr. Two. Who the heck wanted that?

And Who Two is not a character, but a...statement. How very entertaining. :rolleyes:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

And Who Two is not a character, but a...statement. How very entertaining. :rolleyes:
But none of that is because of Disney which is what that poster was commenting, ie just because it has a D+ logo doesn't mean Disney has any involvement in its creation.

If you have an issue with the current Doctor Who season blame the BBC and Davies, they have creative control.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Way before Disney, DW already had a pansexual character who headlined the spin-off, Torchwood, where he kept up his pansexual ways. That's the BBC. And it's not surprising for a character who can regenerate into different genders. And more shockingly, different UK accents.

Magenta Panther

Way before Disney, DW already had a pansexual character who headlined the spin-off, Torchwood, where he kept up his pansexual ways. That's the BBC. And it's not surprising for a character who can regenerate into different genders. And more shockingly, different UK accents.

Yeah, whatever, the new incarnation(s) aren't hitting it off with viewers:

Excerpt: The ratings are the worst of the series for a Christmas Special and are on par with the worst-rated episodes of David Tennant’s career in the three previous specials from Davies.

And, FWIW, the new series is at 42% average audience score at Rotten Tomatoes.

But whoever likes this new series, cool. I haven't much cared for Dr. Who since the eleventh doctor (Matt Smith) left.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah, whatever, the new incarnation(s) aren't hitting it off with viewers:

Excerpt: The ratings are the worst of the series for a Christmas Special and are on par with the worst-rated episodes of David Tennant’s career in the three previous specials from Davies.

And, FWIW, the new series is at 42% average audience score at Rotten Tomatoes.

But whoever likes this new series, cool. I haven't much cared for Dr. Who since the eleventh doctor (Matt Smith) left.

I will never understand the need people have to so trash something they don't like so as to disingenuously cherry pick data to create blatantly false impressions.

So, let's look at RT's Church on Ruby Road.

1703861347984.png

Only about 250+ people have expressed their views. Meanwhile, 22 critics all give it a thumbs up at 100%.

Is there any way we can sample a larger audience? Oh, yeah... IMDB...

1703861441640.png

With 3,700 people indicating their like/dislike, the episode is at 7.3 out of 10. A very high score for IMDB.

So... nice try!!

Phroobar

Since RTD is a gay man he kind of interjects what he knows into his stories. For the most part they are pretty fun. When Stephen Moffit took over he took Doctor Who in a darker scarier direction. People were tired of RTD at the time and Moffit made some of the best episodes. When he left, things went downhill pretty fast. Hopefully RTD can make some really fun stories again but from recent interviews it doesn't sound like he is going that direction.

Robbiem

Moffat and Smith was peak Who for me. It's only declined since.
I agree for the revamped show but as an oldie I still have a nostalgic love of the Tom Baker / Romana era stories like city of death. Its a shame that they didn’t make a full TV version of Shada (the unfinished Douglas Adams story) for the 60th as one of the David Tennant specials. That could have been a great way to celebrate the history of the show

Indy_UK

BBC trying to pivot makes me laugh. They are done for when the they eventually aren’t publicly funded anymore

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom