Doctor Who (BBC & Disney+ 2023)

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Today the BBC and Disney Branded Television - two giants of entertainment - have come together to transform Doctor Who into a global franchise for UK audiences and the rest of the world.

Under a shared creative vision, they will deliver this quintessentially British show to future generations on an unprecedented scale with Disney+ as the exclusive home for new seasons of Doctor Who outside the UK and Ireland. The announcement – which was made this morning by the next Doctor Who, Ncuti Gatwa, during an appearance on Live with Kelly and Ryan - begins a new collaboration between BBC and Disney Branded Television.

Both partners have aligned under returning showrunner Russell T Davies' bold vision, who takes control of the TARDIS in 2023. He was responsible for Doctor Who's revival in 2005 and is credited with propelling the show into one of TV's biggest hits.

The new episodes will premiere on the BBC and Disney+ beginning in late 2023 for fans all over the world. The show will be produced in Wales by Bad Wolf with BBC Studios Productions."

lazyboy97o

Am I the only one who thinks of Paw Patrol when looking at that new logo? Will the Doctor be getting a new canine companion?

The wording of these seems odd. Is it really just a global distribution deal? Which I get is big, but the way it’s all phrased I kept expecting an announcement of a co-production deal or something a bit more substantial.

When do the Doctor Who attraction rumors start? It’d be a great addition to Disney’s Animal Kingdom!

Phroobar

A Tomorrowland Doctor Who attraction would be rad. They could put it in the old Mission to Mars theater. Dress it up like the Tardis and we are set.

mightynine

When do the Doctor Who attraction rumors start? It’d be a great addition to Disney’s Animal Kingdom!
Finally, K-9 will get the spotlight it deserves!

Wonder how long before the older series get off HBO Max in the United States. WBD would probably take some cash for it, considering their slash and burn moves lately.

Also have to wonder how long BBC America is for this world - this is a big loss for that channel in terms of new content.

doctornick

Wonder how long before the older series get off HBO Max in the United States. WBD would probably take some cash for it, considering their slash and burn moves lately.

Also have to wonder how long BBC America is for this world - this is a big loss for that channel in terms of new content.

yeah, that's what this me wonder. Would they be getting older episodes of Who for D+ as well. Perhaps even the classic episodes (that still exist) or the spin offs like Torchwood, Sarah Jane, etc. Might be a good fit if they want to add more "adult" programming to D+

jpinkc

Yes this totally surprises me. Doctor Who was a huge cash cow for BBC. I know Whitaker's run I am not a fan of and supposedly the viewership was tanking in a big way during her tenure. I am not familiar with the next Doctor, but I hope they can get it back on more familiar ground. Still prefer the original run of the series but David Tennant and Matt Smith were great Doctors too. Lets just hope that what happened to Colin Bakers run (Colins poor stories for the most part) that then came Sylvester McCoy and his stories got marked improvements then................. 16 years of nothing. I like quite a bit of what Mr Davies did and hope he can save the show again.

sedati

Am I the only one who thinks of Paw Patrol when looking at that new logo?
1666720611779.png

It's a throwback to the one I grew up with. Repeating themselves isn't a great creative sign though this may be done with narrative purpose.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
First came to light this July and has now come to fruition...

"Walt Disney Co. is in discussions with the British Broadcasting Corp. about acquiring the streaming rights to a new “Doctor Who” series.

The talks are in the early stages and there’s no guarantee a deal will be reached, according to people with knowledge of the matter who asked not to be identified because the discussions are private. The show would potentially air globally on the Disney+ streaming service. The BBC would also air the program."

Disney in Talks With BBC to Stream ‘Doctor Who’ Series - Bloomberg

Phroobar

From what little I have seen of Ncuti Gatwa's acting, he will be fine. We will see if he can live up to Matt Smith or David Tennent.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'll care when they get the catalog.

I'm desperate to binge some classic Who - but not desperate enough to deal with "live" Pluto TV.
The post-2005 series is on HBO Max, if you want to binge all that for a months subscription.

The pre-2005 series you can binge on BritBox. If you're determined to do it you can do it in one month for the low low price of $7.99.

Phroobar

The post-2005 series is on HBO Max, if you want to binge all that for a months subscription.

The pre-2005 series you can binge on BritBox. If you're determined to do it you can do it in one month for the low low price of $7.99.
I wonder if that includes the animated recreations.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Or I can just watch my dvds of the seasons and episodes I already have until Disney gets the whole catalog and I watch it there. ;)

But that's effort. :p

I am really looking to binge the show from the beginning though. I don't think I can binge several decades' worth in one month. lol I do need to sleep.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Or I can just watch my dvds of the seasons and episodes I already have until Disney gets the whole catalog and I watch it there. ;)

But that's effort. :p

I am really looking to binge the show from the beginning though. I don't think I can binge several decades' worth in one month. lol I do need to sleep.
Well I hope you get your wish and Disney gets the rights to the whole pre-2005 catalog.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom