Do you think you would be a Disney fan if your first time was recently?

Incomudro

Absolutely.
My first Disney trip was to WDW the year it opened, pre-Epcot.
Followed by (maybe two years later) to Disneyland which only consisted of the Magic Kingdom.
The parks have only become more impressive since then.
(crowds, and me getting older removed form the equation)

Incomudro

I think it depends on the age. I wouldn't expect a teenager visiting for the first time to become a lifelong fan. I'm not sure an adult would fall in love with it either.

The attitude that dominates airways, radio talkshows and, most importantly, social media is one of pessimism and negativity. People like to complain more than compliment, find flaws in everything more than appreciate what's in front of them. IMO, this idea alone could bar a first timer from enjoying WDW. "The lines are too long. It's too hot. My feet hurt." Yada yada yada.

Obviously, everyone doesn't subscribe to these same pessimistic ideals mentioned above, but enough people do that I believe we would see less interest if WDW was developed today rather in in the past.

Also, response bias is huge. This is a WDW forum...

You're correct, I've noticed this before.
With the advent of social media, and I believe even tv shows where performances are so critically judged - such as cooking shows, singing shows etc., where the singing of the National Anthem is something that is judged rather than enjoyed - it seems like well... Many (too many) people judge things rather than enjoy them.
Vacations, dining out, a new car, home improvement work... All highly nitpicked and criticized.

JustAFan

If I went today for the first time, what's not to love? I wouldn't have your memories of Disney from 10, 20, 30 years ago. If your first time was in 1985, you might hear people saying "Wow, this sure is different than 1975." One thing Disney does well - for the most part - is stay fresh. Even Walt said, "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

DisneyFreak

I would say yes because it's still better IMO than anything else out there.

I've been going since 1979 when I was under 10. I'm in the camp where I believe that it has been in a slow decline since the 90s and we certainly don't go nearly as much as we used to.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Yes for me at least. My first time going was in 2005 with my family. I was about 13 at the time. I don't remember much of it aside from my aunt got drunk a few days and I remember liking Epcot. I went to Disneyland in 2009 and had a blast since it was with a school marching band trip. I remember liking It's a Small World better at DL than WDW. I wasn't sold on it but did enjoy the parks. At the time I was more an adrenaline junkie so I loved Cedar Point and Kings Island more.

In 2016 is when I really fell for Disney. My husband, sister, and BIL went to Orlando wanting to check out Cocoa Beach, and do Disney for a day or 2 but also just wanting to relax at the resort. Well, we ended up there 3 days and I left knowing Disney has a special place in my heart now. As someone who suffers from anxiety and depression, this place really took that away for the few days we were there. Ever since I have been going at least once a year and now have an AP. My husband isn't a Disney Nerd like I am, but he does enjoy going because it makes me happy. :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes for me at least. My first time going was in 2005 with my family. I was about 13 at the time. I don't remember much of it aside from my aunt got drunk a few days and I remember liking Epcot. I went to Disneyland in 2009 and had a blast since it was with a school marching band trip. I remember liking It's a Small World better at DL than WDW. I wasn't sold on it but did enjoy the parks. At the time I was more an adrenaline junkie so I loved Cedar Point and Kings Island more.

In 2016 is when I really fell for Disney. My husband, sister, and BIL went to Orlando wanting to check out Cocoa Beach, and do Disney for a day or 2 but also just wanting to relax at the resort. Well, we ended up there 3 days and I left knowing Disney has a special place in my heart now. As someone who suffers from anxiety and depression, this place really took that away for the few days we were there. Ever since I have been going at least once a year and now have an AP. My husband isn't a Disney Nerd like I am, but he does enjoy going because it makes me happy. :)

...what’s your aunt up to these days? 🤔

Jenwade49

We have only been taking our kids since 2012 so I don’t know about any other Disney golden ages... I will say that I have never been bothered (for too long) over any changes they have made since then. We will always love it, because it’s our special family place!!

Smiley/OCD

But 9/11 was a one time event (God willing, I don't even want to live in a world where this can happen often) so most business would not use that as a business model.

I fully disagee.

the "uber" rich are not one time visitors. I wasn't. While I don't think Disney would survive I do think that Disney makes most of it's "profit" on the one or two time visitors. The one time visitor usually is fairly middle class who has either saved for the once in a life trip or is simply charging it.

I don't think disney "needs" us at all. We are not the one buying over priced Mickey ears. We are not the ones eating every meal as a character meal.

I wonder if there is a way to find out the % of one or two time guest. Also another thing, are we including locals in the returning guest. The locals I know who go to Disney don't spend much at all. they don't eat on site often and the certainly are not buying the merchandise.

Yes you can stuff the parks with people but it's how much those folks spend that's important. one of the reasons why the world wants you in their little bubble never to leave.

I'm not any statistician, i'm just postulating

We can agree to disagree, but the VAST majority of guests that I've talked to on the buses and stops are and continue to be repeat guests. Because we stay in a value, I can't even speculate as to the DVC and AP guests...but I do know a few DVC members who go three to four times a year and since they aren't spending money on a resort stay, the people I've spoken to don't use the dining plan and spend more money on food and drink at signature restaurants. It would be interesting to find out the ratio of first time vs. repeat guests.

LauraRose

Yes, first visit was 2010 and still love it now and probably more. Boyfriends first visit this year and he adored it and booked again for next year and talks about it non stop. I think sometimes people are so obsessed with the small things in Disney they overlook the magic and loose sight of what makes Disney so special.

MagicRat

I am going to sound like a heretic here, and believe me until I went on this site I didn't know Horizons and World of Motion was held in as high regard as I hold them, but the parks are in a better spot now. Do I miss the original fast pass where I knew how to play the games, yes! Do I think the parks have been dumbed down for the first time visitor, absolutely. But what is the difference between what WDW management has done and virtually every other tourist destination?

The poster's original question is more of a question of society now than Disney. Even websites now in my opinion are less intuitive now because people are not smart enough to think for themselves.

I enjoy this board, I read it everyday but people the parks aren't the problem.

mj2v

They are horrible, terrible and no good.

Iger has drained the creativity and they have not opened a new worthwhile ride since Stitch’s Great Escape. They are not investing, at all, in new rides, the roads are all falling apart, some of the buildings look like they are falling down.

I highly recommend that you stay home so as not to ruin your good senses. You will thank me later.

etherius1960

After standing shoulder to shoulder in line during the summer of 2003, I swore I’d never go back to WDW... especially when I could spend a bit more at Universal and get a VIP tour that allowed me to see everything in about five hours. Since then, WDW has added premium tours... but none that can compare with Universal’s. Last year, however, I retired and decided to return during, what I researched was the lowest attendance week during the year... one week in February (no holidays, no special group days, no celebrations). We were stoked to go back and guess what...... just as flipping crowded as summertime. Shoulder to shoulder. People walking into one another while staring at their phones. Some cutting in line. Just no magic left. I know the majority thrive on this sort of energy, but I want to get away from the madness of the world and get lost in the magic that was once Disney. Half way through the week, I took my son to Universal and we saw and rode everything we wanted in BOTH parks and were home by four. C’mon, Imagineers... come up with a solution. Here’s one idea... build a third American theme park in the middle of the US.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom