Do you think they will ever extend the Monorail?

Woody13

Tigerdaly said:
A number of you have started to spout large numbers (without substance) and have already decided whether Disney can afford it.
Has anyone yet looked at the enviromental impacts.
I am from Europe and from a country who is taking the needs of the enviroment very seriously. Our planet is dying.........................
Running hundreds of buses around belching fumes (and some are quite spectacular at it) is not good for the planet.
You never know Monorails with there increased capacity over a bus might just help us all in the long-run.
The monorail along with Epcot were supposed to show how advanced in thinking the Disney empire really is. It would be a shame not exploit this wonder of design and show the world that cloud belching antiquated inefficient buses are out and perhaps self generated electric monorails are the way to go.
Also remember large business's run each project on a "Return on assets" basis, which doesnt mean how much an item costs, that is irrelevant. It means how quickly will it pay for its self. Unfortunatly the monorail is free to guests so return is limited to perhaps advertising. The first sections that were installed were purely innovative, from now on it need to be profitable to cover costs.
But hey, how much does it cost to help save a dying planet..............:wave:
The monorails at WDW use huge amounts of electricity. That electricity comes from Reedy Creek Energy Services and the public power grid. The electric generating plants use coal and natural gas to generate that power. Therefore, massive pollution is caused by the monorails. The pollution is just generated off site. Comparatively, the buses are a lot cleaner than the monorails. Expanding the monorail system would cause more pollution than expanding the bus system.

The monorail has never been free, nor is any other form of transportation at WDW. The cost of transportation is included in the cost of your admission media. Transportation at WDW is its own separate division within the company. :wave:

jedimaster1227

Woody13 said:
The monorails at WDW use huge amounts of electricity. That electricity comes from Reedy Creek Energy Services and the public power grid. The electric generating plants use coal and natural gas to generate that power. Therefore, massive pollution is caused by the monorails. The pollution is just generated off site. Comparatively, the buses are a lot cleaner than the monorails. Expanding the monorail system would cause more pollution than expanding the bus system.

The monorail has never been free, nor is any other form of transportation at WDW. The cost of transportation is included in the cost of your admission media. Transportation at WDW is its own separate division within the company. :wave:

It isn't like Disney couldn't afford to add a new rail or two. Also, it wouldn't be a problem for them to expand the Reedy Creek Energy grid. I have seen it up close and I know for a fact that there is PLENTY of room around the grid (left for possible needed expansion).

Woody13

jedimaster1227 said:
It isn't like Disney couldn't afford to add a new rail or two. Also, it wouldn't be a problem for them to expand the Reedy Creek Energy grid. I have seen it up close and I know for a fact that there is PLENTY of room around the grid (left for possible needed expansion).
They could build a nuclear power plant if they so desired, but I can assure you they won't. It's not a matter of what they could do, it's a matter of what makes sense. As I stated before, the monorail is an attraction. It's fun, it's cool and people like it very much. Just as Buzz Lightyear is not a "real" space ranger (he's a toy and Woody taught him that), the same thing applies to the WDW and Disneyland monorails.

Walt Disney was well known as a "train freak". His own private company owned the Disneyland monorail and the railroad. These were Walt's toys. They were never designed as "serious" transportation. They are like the old Wedway people mover, fun but impractical in the real world for transportation.

Remember, Florida is the lightning capitol of the world. When thunderstorms threaten, the monorail, boats, parking lot shuttles, etc. shut down (i.e. suspend operations until the threat passes). The buses continue to run. The bus system is the only serious transportation system at WDW. :wave:

C&D

I have to disagree with an above post that says that the Monorail is not serious transportation. Without it there would be major backups on some of the other transportation venues. All of the transportation works very well together. The Ferry from the transportatioin center, the smaller boats from the Resorts, the buses of course and even the areas provided for foot transportation all work in harmony to provide massive potential to move people.

For its purpose, the Monorail does stellar service to get people to EPCOT, and also provide service to the Resorts. For these two functions, I believe no other mode would do as well. A lot of people fit in those Monorails and they just get the job done; all without causing any more surface traffic on the road system.

jedimaster1227

C&D said:
I have to disagree with an above post that says that the Monorail is not serious transportation. Without it there would be major backups on some of the other transportation venues. All of the transportation works very well together. The Ferry from the transportatioin center, the smaller boats from the Resorts, the buses of course and even the areas provided for foot transportation all work in harmony to provide massive potential to move people.

For its purpose, the Monorail does stellar service to get people to EPCOT, and also provide service to the Resorts. For these two functions, I believe no other mode would do as well. A lot of people fit in those Monorails and they just get the job done; all without causing any more surface traffic on the road system.

Very true! In fact, the other forms of transportation are always packed and the loss of the monorails would cause them to have extreme wait times. The monorail is a viable and integral part of the WDW transportation network. Without it, WDW would have road backups, water-way traffic and other calamities to an extreme level.

raven

I honestly don't think money is the issue with expanding it. What was one quoted at "a million dollars per mile" isn't all that bad. Most people are only thinking about the concrete track and pillars in this price but you also have to add in new vehicles and labor as well. After all is said and done, a million $ per mile is kinda cheap to me. Look at M:S at a cost of $100 million...and it's a glorified "spin & puke" ride in the amusement business. I'd much rather see Disney expand the monorail and maybe skip a highly sophisticated attraction for a couple of years if it means easier access to all of the parks in one day.I think the lack of an expansion is more about priority than anything. But this is all my own opinion. :wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
jedimaster1227 said:

:confused: Isn't that like saying you've seen the internet.

wannab@dis

raven said:
I honestly don't think money is the issue with expanding it. What was one quoted at "a million dollars per mile" isn't all that bad. Most people are only thinking about the concrete track and pillars in this price but you also have to add in new vehicles and labor as well. After all is said and done, a million $ per mile is kinda cheap to me. Look at M:S at a cost of $100 million...and it's a glorified "spin & puke" ride in the amusement business. I'd much rather see Disney expand the monorail and maybe skip a highly sophisticated attraction for a couple of years if it means easier access to all of the parks in one day.I think the lack of an expansion is more about priority than anything. But this is all my own opinion. :wave:
Try about $100 million per mile. The Vegas monorail has an estimated cost of $80 million to $150 million depending on how they calculated the costs. They used bonds and the interest on the bonds, insurance, taxes and contingency was factored into the $150 million number.

Since the cost of construction will more than likely be higher in Florida due to the type of land - high water table... swampy... bad soil... the costs would esculate quickly.

I know a lot of people out there want monorail expansion, but I'm not so sure it makes a lot of fiscal sense. The actual transportation viability is fairly low unless they build it out with multiple backups not currently employed. It would be much better to invest in alternative fuel bussing.

jedimaster1227

wannab@dis said:
:zipit:

And you want people to take you serious... :rolleyes:

That was a sarcastically enhanced fact right there! :cool: We all know that Disney could afford the expansion (if it ever happened). Why is would that statement cause people to not take me seriously? :veryconfu I just stated a fact-what more do you want from me?

raven

wannab@dis said:
I know a lot of people out there want monorail expansion, but I'm not so sure it makes a lot of fiscal sense. The actual transportation viability is fairly low unless they build it out with multiple backups not currently employed. It would be much better to invest in alternative fuel bussing.

Agreed. But don't you think buses are too common? I know they are very cost effective but this is WDW. The idea for the "florida project" was to be planned just right so that guests were to experience magical lands far beyond their everyday lives. Buses are in our everyday lives. They aren't magical at all. I'm just saying I wish they would spend a little money and consider a monorail expansion or other means of mass transportation that is a little more magical than common busses.

You mean that the monorail is NOT expanding to Pittsburgh??!!! :brick: :hammer:

I have an annual pass---how will I be able to get the the Magic Kingdom NOW?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

nutjb18

firstly, for those who say that there would be massive backup when any park closed probably has never ridden the subway in a major city. In NYC's financial district or London's Canary Warf area, during rush hour, 10's of thousands of people pass through single stations, yet there is no backup for hours. How do they cope with this rush of people, simply add an extra train into the system. Lets say, theoretically, Disney were to expand the monorail and each park had its own line. Since most of the parks close at different times they could transfer trains over from the less busy lines to the busy lines to deal with any rush. However is the monorail the best choice if they expand, probably not, however it probably would be smart to stick with the same medium, the monorail, in order to be most efficient and versatile. However if they did seek a different source, Many cities are turning to automated light rail systems as a way to economically expand their transit system. To those who say that Disney would have to have added staff at every monorail system are not looking at the fact that the majority of the bus stations are not staffed so why would every train station have to be. Londons Docklands Light Railway is a fully automated system which is very efficient and few of the stations are actually staffed. They are, for the most part, very safe. Disney world is not a very big haven for crime so most likely these added stations could be un staffed and safe just by being watched by closed circuit cameras. Alternatively fueled vehicles might have the most versatility but such vehicles are probably, in totality, equal to the price of expanding the monorail. Also bus's have much shorter life spans than trains. On average they are expected to last 10 years. Trains have dramatically longer life spans. Hence, overtime, the investment pays off. I do agree with the previous response that each park should act as a hub station and busses should service the area hotels. Even though busses would still be used, overall the current population of busses would be reduced more than half if not by 2/3. Overall expanding the monorail system would be cost effective and an environmental statement, however it probably won't happen until gas is 5.00 a gallon and environmentalists start to pressure mass transit systems to find a more viable alternative to diesel thirsty busses.

That response was too long, sorry....

wannab@dis

nutjb18 said:
I do agree with the previous response that each park should act as a hub station and busses should service the area hotels. Eventhough busses would still be used, overall the curent population of busses would be reduced more than half if not by 2/3.
Currently, the majority of busses already are run between the parks and the resorts. There are not that many buses between the TTC and parks and I don't remember any that actually went from park to park on our last visit. So, I can't see how you would say the number of busses would be reduced by half at all.

nutjb18 said:
Also bus's have much shorter lifespans than trains. On average they are expected to last 10 years. Trains have dramatically longer lifespans.
nutjb18 said:
Overall expanding the monorail system would be cost effective and an enviromental statement, however it probably won't happen until gas is 5.00 a gallon and enviromenalists start to pressure mass transit systems to find a more viable alternative to disel thirsty busses.
This statement directly contradicts your previous statement that the longevity of the trains would be more cost effective than the busses. :veryconfu If it currently would be better, then why wait until the cost of gas goes up? It would only mean more expense as the gas costs increase and construction costs increase.

The sheer amount of track needed to connect the parks and new stations would make connecting all parks a massive outlay of money. That money would be better spent on expanding and updating the parks and continual upgrades of the bus system. I wouldn't say that small expansion of the monorail is out of the question, but I highly doubt we'll ever see a massive expansion of the monorail system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom