Do you think renting DVC points bothers Disney?

Phonedave

For the reasons you state I will probably never rent my points to an individual. If I had to rent them for some reason I would use a broker.

I have never had a need to rent out my points, but for peice of mind and ease of transaction, I would go through a broker as well.

-dave

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney has to care to a degree.. They can't let the rental market undercut new point sales. So they keep limits in place to keep rentals in check. Like not being able to combine.. Not letting the reservations be handled By the third-party etc. Such Limitations are not because Disney can't do it, but because Disney wants to keep it slightly annoying

tjkraz

Disney has to care to a degree.. They can't let the rental market undercut new point sales.

I'd say they are more concerned with undercutting Disney's nightly room rates. (Maybe that's what you meant to say?) If Disney quotes a price of $2000 for a given Deluxe stay and renting points will cost 1/3 of that amount, folks at Central Reservations will not be thrilled.

Renting is still a fringe activity and I think some execs realize that stamping-down too hard on rentals will have some trickle-down affect on DVC sales. (If current owners have increased trouble renting, more will opt to sell. That additional supply depresses resale prices, which in turn can hurt direct sales.)

Meanwhile renting is still a useful sales tool for helping to sell DVC points. I bet a pretty good percentage of those who rent ultimately end up buying.

But philosophically there is a tug-o-war within TWDC with CRO execs mostly opposed to rentals and DVC mostly favoring rentals. CRO hates the fact that non-owners can get Disney quality accommodations for so much less than their own prices but DVC sees value in the marketing aspect of having non-owners experiencing DVC villas first hand.

Such Limitations are not because Disney can't do it, but because Disney wants to keep it slightly annoying

Well said.

Although with resale prices having fallen as far as they have, professional renters could quickly become more prevalent if Disney let it go unchecked. (Even though most of their threats are empty ones.)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney has to care to a degree.. They can't let the rental market undercut new point sales. So they keep limits in place to keep rentals in check. Like not being able to combine.. Not letting the reservations be handled By the third-party etc. Such Limitations are not because Disney can't do it, but because Disney wants to keep it slightly annoying

Good point about combining points. They do make it annoying to rent out points without flat out banning it. For DVC it adds a security blanket to buyers. If something happens and I can't afford a trip for a few years I can always rent out my points and more than cover my fees. I don't know that they are actively marketing it that way, but it definitely factored into my decision to buy.

I'd say they are more concerned with undercutting Disney's nightly room rates. (Maybe that's what you meant to say?) If Disney quotes a price of $2000 for a given Deluxe stay and renting points will cost 1/3 of that amount, folks at Central Reservations will not be thrilled.

Renting is still a fringe activity and I think some execs realize that stamping-down too hard on rentals will have some trickle-down affect on DVC sales. (If current owners have increased trouble renting, more will opt to sell. That additional supply depresses resale prices, which in turn can hurt direct sales.)

Meanwhile renting is still a useful sales tool for helping to sell DVC points. I bet a pretty good percentage of those who rent ultimately end up buying.

But philosophically there is a tug-o-war within TWDC with CRO execs mostly opposed to rentals and DVC mostly favoring rentals. CRO hates the fact that non-owners can get Disney quality accommodations for so much less than their own prices but DVC sees value in the marketing aspect of having non-owners experiencing DVC villas first hand.

I agree with all of this. Before I knew about DVC rentals I made a few trips to WDW and stayed at values and moderates for cash and probably paid around what I would have paid to rent points and stay at a DVC resort. I think the average guest has no idea renting DVC points exists. If they allowed 3rd party vendors to directly book a trip in your name using rented DVC points it would be a lot more common in my opinion. People either don't know it exists or are not willing to take the chance and do the extra work needed to rent points. There is a risk involved and people get nervous with contracts. They want to just book a package and know everything is set.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom