do you think frozen ever after will be a home run?

Berret

In the Parks
No
The "net gain" is capacity relief for Fantasyland and the Magic Kingdom overall, which it desparately needs. That's what people are missing about this project. It's not about Epcot per se. It's using Epcot as a tool to address overcrowding at the Magic Kingdom. They tried adding capacity at MK and new capacity made the crowds worse, not better. This is a different attempt at solving the same problem that NFL tried to fix.

If that's the case, that they're trying to address overcrowding in MK, then why do it at the expense of one of the most beloved rides at Epcot? Why not build it in a new venue, or just plain build other rides at Epcot? Even if for a time it does take slack off MK, eventually its popularity will die down to a certain extent. If they've done nothing to expand the park in some way, then what good will it have done, except temporarily stave off overcrowding in MK?

PhotoDave219

If that's the case, that they're trying to address overcrowding in MK, then why do it at the expense of one of the most beloved rides at Epcot? Why not build it in a new venue, or just plain build other rides at Epcot? Even if for a time it does take slack off MK, eventually its popularity will die down to a certain extent. If they've done nothing to expand the park in some way, then what good will it have done, except temporarily stave off overcrowding in MK?

Ask Tom Staggs.

JohnHangen

Because your very question is based on a faulty premise. Maelstrom is not and was not a "beloved" ride. Most guests think it kind of sucks. It's only "beloved" among the hardcore and the nostalgic.

I think you're being overly harsh. At any rate, Disney took the Kia option when they should have built a Ferrari.

Alexis

It'll do great and will probably impress. They're not going to disappoint with such a popular movie. That's for sure.
Probably will always have long lines. Just like Peter Pan's wait time in MK.

Berret

In the Parks
No
I think you're being overly harsh. At any rate, Disney took the Kia option when they should have built a Ferrari.

Hey now, I worked at a Kia dealership for two years. They have some nice cars nowadays. I'd love to get a Forte one of these days.

Berret

In the Parks
No
Because your very question is based on a faulty premise. Maelstrom is not and was not a "beloved" ride. Most guests think it kind of sucks. It's only "beloved" among the hardcore and the nostalgic.

Then call me hardcore and nostalgic, I guess. I wish I could afford to be hardcore and go to Disney more than once every two or three years, but I digress. You never did comment on the other parts of my post. Let's disregard whether it was loved or hated, but that it's only being replaced. Again, if the only real purpose, as you say, is to take off some of the heat from MK and bring it to Epcot, but they're not building anything else at Epcot, then what is the point? Eventually interest will die down, even if it takes years. If nothing new is built between now and then at either park, then to use an analogy that may not completely fit, because I don't think Disney is bleeding, but they're just putting a bandaid on a gushing wound. What else are they going to do to handle the overcrowding problem?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Build what they're building in Tokyo DisneySEA in Fantasyland and I would adore it.
:banghead:

No, you wouldn't. Because you'd never physically get to it. Because Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom is not Tokyo DisneySEA. It literally can't fit any more people. People can't completely ignore park operations/logistics when they talk about their creative wish lists. Fantasyland is full, end of story.

Sage of Time

:banghead:

No, you wouldn't. Because you'd never physically get to it. Because Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom is not Tokyo DisneySEA. It literally can't fit any more people. People can't completely ignore park operations/logistics when they talk about their creative wish lists. Fantasyland is full, end of story.
LOL. Ok. Let's just ignore the fact that things can be expanded and attractions added across the board and that capacity is a very fluid thing.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
LOL. Ok. Let's just ignore the fact that things can be expanded and attractions added across the board and that capacity is a very fluid thing.
Have you been paying attention to New Fantasyland? It made things much worse at the MK, not better. Your logic is sound in theory but it doesn't actually play out that way in reality. Your logic is "add capacity, reduce congestion." But the way it actually happens is "add capacity, more people show up to fill that capacity and then some, congestion is worse."

Sage of Time

Have you been paying attention to New Fantasyland? It made things much worse at the MK, not better. Your logic is sound in theory but it doesn't actually play out that way in reality. Your logic is "add capacity, reduce congestion." But the way it actually happens is "add capacity, more people show up to fill that capacity and then some, congestion is worse."
Yes.... and things are made worse in MK because the rest of the park hasn't been thoughtfully expanded. Fix that, fix this.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Yes.... and things are made worse in MK because the rest of the park hasn't been thoughtfully expanded. Fix that, fix this.
I wish. But the more likely outcome is "fix that, make this worse." When you bring more people to WDW, MK is disproportionately impacted. When you bring more people to MK, Fantasyland is disproportionately impacted. I think it's more important to draw people out of MK and into the other parks than it is to try and spread them out within MK. Don't forget that Fantasyland isn't the only pinch point for capacity. The hub and Main Street area are as bad or worse at parade and fireworks time. WDW is already a top-heavy experience. I'm a DAK and DHS full-day visitor and even I spend about triple the amount of time in the MK. Adding to the Magic Kingdom is completely backwards. They should be leveling the field and bringing the other parks up to MK's level rather than trying to micromanage crowds strictly within MK.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
where did all this Maelstrom love come from, I don't think it was that popular or great ride, EXCEPT FOR THE BACKWARD WATERFALL, and most people bypassed the movie. The workers there will love the new attention and volumes. exciting for them I used to feel bad just walking past and out the door. BUT IT HAS TO IMPRESS!!!!!

aladdin2007

where did all this Maelstrom love come from, I don't think it was that popular or great ride, EXCEPT FOR THE BACKWARD WATERFALL, and most people bypassed the movie. The workers there will love the new attention and volumes. exciting for them I used to feel bad just walking past and out the door. BUT IT HAS TO IMPRESS!!!!!

It was great and popular in its hey dey, it def needed an overhaul yes, but should not have been ripped out for frozen and Norway kicked to the curb for it. And no, Norwegian cast has not been thrilled about losing Norway to frozen. And we already have running threads on this did we really need another one?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Impress who? Would it impress had the ride (and pavilion) been given upgrades instead of being transformed into a fictional land?

And please don't speak for "the workers."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom