do you think frozen ever after will be a home run?

CP_alum08

For a couple years, sure. I don't see it having 120 minute wait times 5+ years from now.

I see two things to consider. 1. Epcot needs more rides. 2. The frozen demographic is not neseccarily the Epcot demographic. So it will be interesting to see how those two things work out.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
For a couple years, sure. I don't see it having 120 minute wait times 5+ years from now.

I see two things to consider. 1. Epcot needs more rides. 2. The frozen demographic is not neseccarily the Epcot demographic. So it will be interesting to see how those two things work out.

Yes...It does need more rides...So why re-theme an existing ride in World Showcase with no net gain....?

*1023*

JIMINYCR

Yes...It does need more rides...So why re-theme an existing ride in World Showcase with no net gain....?

*1023*

Now when people ask if EP is a park that will interest their young kids, Disney can point to the Frozen ride and say Yes, we put it in just for them. It's a kids park too. Now step into our gift shop and buy them more Frozen merchandise.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster

*1023*

I think it is a positive wether or not you like frozen. I don't get all the Frozen haters out there. Its a Disney hit movie like it or not. Sure theres a gain new demographic and more riders. The gain is that its a ride that more people will want to go on. and of course MOYCHENDISING, MOYCHENDISING,

LET IT GO!!!!

K&M

I think it will need to show some wow factor not just the same use of Malstrom with a different background. Some impressive tech will show its just not a rush to jump on the frozen craze.
I am disappointed since I am not A Frozen fan. As the new developments get adopted into the parks, I hope I don't lose interest. The new productions aren't as much of an attraction as the nostalgic characters are for me.
As an FYI-I am 56, in the demographic that has and does spend $$$

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The "net gain" is capacity relief for Fantasyland and the Magic Kingdom overall, which it desparately needs. That's what people are missing about this project. It's not about Epcot per se. It's using Epcot as a tool to address overcrowding at the Magic Kingdom. They tried adding capacity at MK and new capacity made the crowds worse, not better. This is a different attempt at solving the same problem that NFL tried to fix.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Will our version be like Tokyo ? Do you have info on their version
Not even close. They are getting an entire themed land placed on an unused pad on the southwestern edge of the park. We...are getting a meet and greet building, minor facade upgrades and a redo of an existing ride.

tds-arendelle.jpg

Last edited:

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Not even close. They are getting an entire themed land placed on an unused pad on the southwestern edge of the park. We...are getting a meet and greet building, minor facade upgrades and a redo of an existing ride.

tds-arendelle.jpg

Wow, now this is Disney quality. Why are we second class? Is our great attendance actually hurting us? Do they feel we will just keep coming?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Wow, now this is Disney quality. Why are we second class? Is our great attendance actually hurting us? Do they feel we will just keep coming?
Well, you sortof hinted at it yourself.

I think it will need to show some wow factor not just the same use of Malstrom with a different background. Some impressive tech will show its just not a rush to jump on the frozen craze.
As I said, that's exactly what this is. I'd feel differently if TDS wasn't getting Arendelle, but obviously they have thought that through. So, that's exactly what this is. Jumping on the Frozen craze. @CaptainAmerica hinted at part of their reasoning (to attract guests to EPCOT and away from Magic Kingdom), but in reality they could have done a bit more with it, even if they stuck with Norway, by expanding further into the empty pad next to Norway, and possibly even a bit into the backstage area.

But, they want the ride open, and they want it open quick. So, minor track path changes, slap in some scenery and new animatronics, retheme the queue (well, they actually are moving the queue, but...)...boom...ride done.

You mentioned "Frozen haters" before (and, I'm one of them I suppose, I don't think the movie is nearly as good as others do...but <shrug>)...but that's not really what has most people upset. It's the fact that, had Disney put a little more thought and effort, even leaving it in Norway, they could have made this "fit" with World Showcase.

For example, they could have built ANOTHER ride (giving an extra ride to a park that sorely needs more attractions) at Norway on the empty pad, and had the queue path transition you from the world of "Norway" into the "stories of Norway" into Hans Christian Anderson tales into the Snow Queen and lastly Oaken's Trading shop (which is a great idea for a queue, so I'm glad they did that). And, while that would have fit better than reskinning an existing ride, it also would have added to the park ride capacity instead of just maintaining it.

But, they didn't do that. They didn't even try. Norway is now Frozen-ville. Pulled straight out of Fantasyland and slapped into World Showcase. And THAT (not the ride itself) is what people are generally upset and disturbed about.

And, seeing what TDS is getting is just Disney rubbing salt in the wound (that land could easily have been put in Hollywood Studios and fit just fine...better in Fantasyland, in terms of theme, but it could work at Hollywood Studios as well.)

Last edited:

erasure fan1

do you think frozen ever after will be a home run?
I really think the best this ride can do is a solid double. No matter how the ride turns out I just don't see it ever being a "home run". The reason being is simple. If the ride is really good, then there will always be the what if factor. If I ride this and it's good I will always think of what they could have done if they actually tried and given Frozen what it actually deserved. Its own section in fantasyland or the studios, not some band-aid, half baked, shoe horn of a re-theme. Of course that might just be me.

I mean, it depends if you love Frozen or not. As said before, it will be great for those who love Frozen. However, it makes me upset because of the crowd that goes to Epcot. I know that I have met many couples that vacation and stay in the Epcot resort area and would just hop between the bands. (Unfortunately, several are no longer there.) Many people drink in the pub, and generally, the world showcase is more appreciated by people who are more mature. Just my perspective. I think it will bring Disney great success in Epcot and having people buy a 2-day ticket because their little ones will just HAVE to ride the new Frozen ride. It was very strategic of them, but I don't think they should keep going implementing more characters in the World Showcase.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I mean, it depends if you love Frozen or not. As said before, it will be great for those who love Frozen. However, it makes me upset because of the crowd that goes to Epcot. I know that I have met many couples that vacation and stay in the Epcot resort area and would just hop between the bands. (Unfortunately, several are no longer there.) Many people drink in the pub, and generally, the world showcase is more appreciated by people who are more mature. Just my perspective. I think it will bring Disney great success in Epcot and having people buy a 2-day ticket because their little ones will just HAVE to ride the new Frozen ride. It was very strategic of them, but I don't think they should keep going implementing more characters in the World Showcase.
The way they've done it so far is fine, and I'm ok with character rides being added (always fine with rides) if they are culturally relevant and don't overshadow the primary theme of the pavilion. For example, a Snow White Scary Adventure ride in Germany would work, as long as the whole pavilion wasn't themed to Snow White. I'm fine with the out of the way meet and greets. I'm perfectly ok with Akershus being a princess meal (though, now that they HAVE "nordic" princesses, you'd think they'd be hosting it instead of the French Princess, Belle), and had they added a Frozen ride in ADDITION to maelstrom, off to the side in a plot, but not taking over the entire pavilion, I'd have far less issues.

But, as stands, it's Frozen-topia...not Norway. Fantasyland 2.0.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
The "net gain" is capacity relief for Fantasyland and the Magic Kingdom overall, which it desparately needs. That's what people are missing about this project. It's not about Epcot per se. It's using Epcot as a tool to address overcrowding at the Magic Kingdom. They tried adding capacity at MK and new capacity made the crowds worse, not better. This is a different attempt at solving the same problem that NFL tried to fix.

It's not a good attempt. It re-skins an attraction in a space using the same ride system with a fixed capacity at a maximum of 900 per hour. A little back of the napkin math shows that it is at or less than 1/3 of the gate attendance per day assuming a normal operational day.. That's an awful lot of competition for a "kid friendly ride". It certainly won't provide the capacity relief for MK considering it's attendance growth.

If NFL's goal was to provide capacity relief via ridership or experience, they really didn't hit the mark there with a net gain of 1 attraction. We've been over that before though, in other threads, many moons ago.

Now when people ask if EP is a park that will interest their young kids, Disney can point to the Frozen ride and say Yes, we put it in just for them. It's a kids park too. Now step into our gift shop and buy them more Frozen merchandise.

So Nemo stuck in Living Seas, Lion King in The Land, Imagination with Figment, Energy with Dinosaurs, and SpaceShip Earth isn't enough for the kids? Malestrom wasn't kid friendly? The whole of Future World has been converted to dumbed down non-edutainment experiences, flying in the face of EPCOT CENTER's stated purpose and themes.

If they are looking to point at kid friendly in EPCOT, they had plenty to point at.

None of that reflects the post I made and then replied to originally. I said... (so you don't have to go to page 1)

Will it be a Home Run?

That will depend on the definition of "Home Run". If your definition of "Home Run" is will it be large crowded queue line stretching thru the park, then yes. It will have people scrambling to get FP+ reservations at 12:01am 60 days ahead of their vacation. It will have parents dipping into their wallets before after and possibly during the wait for the attraction, albeit conveniently courtesy of there Magic Bands.

If you define "Home Run" as a purpose built attraction that is elegant in design and execution, then you are likely to be disappointed. A "Home Run" in this definition would have located the attraction in the correct park, in it's own venue, with an immersive supporting environment. For this type of "Home Run" please consult the plans going around for TDR's Frozen area.

For me the "Home Run" is that the rest of the park will get some relief as far as artificial line waits go. That is unless they close something else....

*1023*

AS an aside, in a related thread, we're discussing how the horrible throughput of the original attraction will create much consternation for guests attempting to participate in this attraction.

Which is my opinion on the thread's premise of "Home Run". As far as "Frozen" goes, I have no hate for the IP itself. I own the bloody thing in 3D. It was a nice little movie. It belongs in Fantasyland with the other animated kid's book reports.

*1023*

PhotoDave219

No one saw Soarin having a 2 hour wait for 10 years either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom