Do you think Disney will ever make a really impressive playground again?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Initially yes, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t obtain the rights at some point.
It's not as if theme park rights to a property are negotiated annually. Whoever got those for Bluey likely locked them up for a decade to capitalize on the popularity. So maybe, if Disney got them at the end of that contract, they may have something in the parks 12-15 years from now? Give me a list of children's shows since 1990 that have gained and, more importantly, held an immense popularity for 20 years.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
A few years ago, Dollywood built a large new kids/family area and, as part of it, they built a huge, indoor play area. Fully air conditioned, functions in all weather, gated exit (so it's not super easy for small kids to leave without their adult), adjacent bathrooms, and LOTS of seating for parents (with charging ports for phones!)... honestly, when we went with our small(er) kids, it was SUCH a fantastic way to spend 30 mins or so... kids could run around freely, parents could sit, relax and recharge (both themselves and their phones). I'd love to see Disney offer something comparable...

NelsonRD

A few years ago, Dollywood built a large new kids/family area and, as part of it, they built a huge, indoor play area. Fully air conditioned, functions in all weather, gated exit (so it's not super easy for small kids to leave without their adult), adjacent bathrooms, and LOTS of seating for parents (with charging ports for phones!)... honestly, when we went with our small(er) kids, it was SUCH a fantastic way to spend 30 mins or so... kids could run around freely, parents could sit, relax and recharge (both themselves and their phones). I'd love to see Disney offer something comparable...
That is exactly the problem with these areas. Parents can sit on their phones while their children run free unsupervised.

We banned going to these areas long ago after my daughter said it was “wet” in the tunnel at the Dumbo Play area. Another instance, my Daughter was at the top of the slide, apparently taking too long for the child behind her to go down, and she was pushed and tumbled all the way down. I was watching, the other parents? Nowhere to be found…..

Children and parents today are not civilized enough too support these.

Lilofan

That is exactly the problem with these areas. Parents can sit on their phones while their children run free unsupervised.

We banned going to these areas long ago after my daughter said it was “wet” in the tunnel at the Dumbo Play area. Another instance, my Daughter was at the top of the slide, apparently taking too long for the child behind her to go down, and she was pushed and tumbled all the way down. I was watching, the other parents? Nowhere to be found…..

Children and parents today are not civilized enough too support these.
Also a first for me while at EWR ( Newark Int'l ) at the new Terminal A, there is a playground for kids to enjoy. As usual hardly an adult nearby even supervising.

DisneyHead123

It's not as if theme park rights to a property are negotiated annually. Whoever got those for Bluey likely locked them up for a decade to capitalize on the popularity. So maybe, if Disney got them at the end of that contract, they may have something in the parks 12-15 years from now? Give me a list of children's shows since 1990 that have gained and, more importantly, held an immense popularity for 20 years.
I have a feeling when that much money is involved they can make things happen if they want to. Contracts can get bought out. (I think this involves merch rights for Bluey as well which would be huge.)

J4546

theres no reason for disney to buy marvel rights if they arent gonna build a land in FL using them imo. And having universal have a marvel superheroes land in there park is just free advertising a disney product, and its a decent fun land too so really a win win for disney. regardless I dont think many people are going to IoA for the marvel area so much as JP and HP stuff and imagine it will be rethemed in 10ish years.

Miru

No, it isn't. But feel free to keep believing that. Bob and Josh thank you for your unwavering support.
It’s still better than the average modern attraction. Standards post-RSR have gotten lower due to garbage like Enchanted Wish. These days, average attractions look great.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

My 2 cents on the topic, no I don’t think the theme park playground concept is dead.

It’s a pretty fundamental tool used for crowd control and reducing que time.

I think honey I shrunk the kids and and TSI are irrelevant ips to this generation and their replacement makes sense.

But I think Disney equally realizes that playgrounds are necessary as well for park operations.
Honey I Shrunk The Kids has been gone 8 years now, I think a replacement isn't coming
Other parks, small ones and big ones like Uni have found a way to keep some around or build new ones so I don't buy the liability stuff.

Quietmouse

Honey I Shrunk The Kids has been gone 8 years now, I think a replacement isn't coming
Other parks, small ones and big ones like Uni have found a way to keep some around or build new ones so I don't buy the liability stuff.

I don’t think that ip is coming back, no. But I do think Disney is aware of what non ride attractions bring in terms of reducing wait times and dispersing crowds.

Club Cooloholic

I don’t think that ip is coming back, no. But I do think Disney is aware of what non ride attractions bring in terms of reducing wait times and dispersing crowds.
So they are aware, and have been. Since they first stated building them, but they haven't built a replacement since...and seem, so they must not really care. They don't worry about our experience, if they did they wouldn't require us to have our eyes glued to a phone a the entire time.

Mr. Sullivan

Fast food playgrounds are disappearing because of liability and sanitation concerns. They are being replaced by indoor playground chains, but everyone using those has to sign a liability waiver. Guessing Disney doesn’t want to deal with the liability.
This is the real answer of why playgrounds are going away. Not LL, not monetization, liability.

People have to remember that we don't live in a world now where parents see their kids get hurt and say "oh that's just part of being a kid". They see dollar signs. If their kid gets hurt on a Disney playground, they will sue. Will they win? More often than not, no, they won't. But that doesn't mean Disney constantly wants to be involved in a case over a kid's bruised knee.

DisneyHead123

This is the real answer of why playgrounds are going away. Not LL, not monetization, liability.

People have to remember that we don't live in a world now where parents see their kids get hurt and say "oh that's just part of being a kid". They see dollar signs. If their kid gets hurt on a Disney playground, they will sue. Will they win? More often than not, no, they won't. But that doesn't mean Disney constantly wants to be involved in a case over a kid's bruised knee.

Yeah, and my experience has been that indoor playgrounds that are open to anyone are a bad scene (those with a cover charge tend to be a bit better because they’re limited to small children.) When my son was a toddler he was knocked over hard by kids about 9 or 10 years old who were running around a soft play area for little kids, trying to see if they could jump to the top of the toddler play structures CrossFit style. He was bawling, the kid who sent him flying glanced at him and went right back to what he was doing, mom didn’t say a word. I don’t know if common courtesy and sense really is on the decline or if it was always that way and people just brushed it off, but I think with open spaces you really have to take poor guest behavior into account these days. Sure, 90% - 99% of people will probably be fine, but if only a few kids make a game of playing king of the hill at the top of the slide, it becomes an issue.

Lilofan

Fast food playgrounds are disappearing because of liability and sanitation concerns. They are being replaced by indoor playground chains, but everyone using those has to sign a liability waiver. Guessing Disney doesn’t want to deal with the liability.
Playgrounds are not much income generating. Parents watching kids play while not spending money in the parks.

John park hopper

We live in a society that people want something for nothing so they will sue over any little thing and there are enough sleazy lawyers out there to accommodate them. Playgrounds are a breeding ground for bogus lawsuits. Can't blame Disney for getting rid of them

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom