Do you think Disney will ever make a really impressive playground again?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It really is. You can have your reasons for disliking it, but saying it isn't a top tier attraction is factually incorrect.
A ridiculously expensive yet stupidly disjointed attraction doesn't make something "top tier". The queue has nothing to do with the ride. The pre-show is needlessly long. The story of the ride disappears halfway through. Its forced rotation causes motion sickness for a lot of riders and really wouldn't be necessary if the ride was better designed. The smoothness and backwards launch are the only truly redeeming features.

Kamikaze

A ridiculously expensive
Irrelevant
yet stupidly disjointed
Explain further.
attraction doesn't make something "top tier".
Argumentative.
The queue has nothing to do with the ride.
Yeah... because you know, the old 'stuff went wrong' thing that happens on like 95% of theme park attractions ... Plus the first room definitely does talk about the big bang ...
The pre-show is needlessly long.
Silly argument. You'd just be standing in a regular queue space if it was shorter.
The story of the ride disappears halfway through.
Not exactly sure what you mean here, after you get sent back, you're jumping through time/space as you fight the celestial. Then you get the macguffin back and win ...
Its forced rotation causes motion sickness for a lot of riders and really wouldn't be necessary if the ride was better designed.
The 'motion sickness' can be mostly handled if you just look where they designed for you to look. And yes, they could have left that out, but that makes it much more like a regular coaster.

I trust you're going to complain about F&F: Hollywood Drift for the same things?
The smoothness and backwards launch are the only truly redeeming features.
They are two fun features, yes.

mergatroid

Irrelevant

Explain further.

Argumentative.

Yeah... because you know, the old 'stuff went wrong' thing that happens on like 95% of theme park attractions ... Plus the first room definitely does talk about the big bang ...

Silly argument. You'd just be standing in a regular queue space if it was shorter.

Not exactly sure what you mean here, after you get sent back, you're jumping through time/space as you fight the celestial. Then you get the macguffin back and win ...

The 'motion sickness' can be mostly handled if you just look where they designed for you to look. And yes, they could have left that out, but that makes it much more like a regular coaster.

I trust you're going to complain about F&F: Hollywood Drift for the same things?

They are two fun features, yes.
There are some people who just won't accept that certain things are good because, well they just don't like them. After a while I realised arguing with them is pointless as their minds are made up. I'm no talking about an attraction where a quick google search or look on here will find a high percentage of negative comments either, even ones that get a lot of praise we're told are no good.

Take Cosmic Rewind, when it opened apart from those with motion sickness it drew a lot (and I mean a lot) of positive reactions on here. There were those still not happy with it's placement, some complained about the story, some said there was no educational aspect, some the estimated cost versus product and criticism that the gift shop wasn't up to standard. Those things are subjective and worthy of debate and everyone is entitled to an opinion no matter how it differs to ours.

Then there's a tiny minority of posters who will not have it that Cosmic Rewind has anything good about it despite many people who regularly ride it, loving it. I've seen people on here argue "Take away the music and the screens and nobody would like it" as though that's how a ride is judged. It's like arguing "Take away the music from Pirates and it isn't as good". One poster was even seriously trying to convince somebody that "You didn't love it though did you, if you're being honest" etc. Then we got "It's a coaster in a box" and on and on. One poster repeatedly quoted people who'd ridden it in previews and posted their accounts asking "Were the screens blurry" and "Was the lighting bad" etc in a thinly disguised veil of trying to find negatives from many really positive reports.

Now I' pretty sure these people don't like the ride, most were saying as much for the time it took to build it before anyone rode it. However this tiny minority will not accept that anyone else who likes it has an opinion worth debating, they're just wrong and it's a terrible ride no matter how many people that ride it say otherwise. They won't change their mind and it's set in stone. They're entitled to that opinion but then again it's not really a discussion at that point and just an opinion. By all means 'debate' with them to your hearts content but there's a very small number who won't even go halfway with you and admit there's anything good and that it's a fact that it's just a terrible attraction no matter what anyone else says or how many say it.

Last edited:

NelsonRD

I hope all playgrounds at the parks are removed. Other than being a distraction from the Disney ambiance, the biggest problem I have is they are filthy free for alls. This is a place where parents can go and not watch their children while they play on their phones. Meanwhile, kids are pushing, defecating, running, and yelling beyond just playing. I absolutely hate these areas.

DisneyHead123

Giant machines that fling people around also come with a big dose of liability.
Yeah, but I would not be surprised if there were more reported injuries in theme park playgrounds then on the actual rides.

I doubt such data exists, but I’d be curious what the odds of being injured on a theme park ride vs. at a playground are.

My guess is that it’s comparable to riding in cars vs. airplanes. Far more incidents in cars overall, although if there’s an incident on an airline there’s a higher chance of it being really bad, and it’s much more likely the company will have to pay out a millions.

That said, they can’t do away with rides at Disney, not without halving their attendance at a minimum. I doubt playgrounds register on the attendance scale at all. Maybe playground injuries are largely broken arms and collarbones (happened to someone in my family at a trampoline park,) but that’s still way more than a shop, restaurant, or ride would generally expect, I would think.

mergatroid

I remember reading on here that there used to be quite a lot of injuries at the Honey I Shrunk playground. Nothing like broken necks and fingers being chopped off, but rather lots of crying kids with cuts and grazes. Being kids they requested medical assistance (as kids do, "Mum I've cut my finger") and I recall people saying the CM's were then tied up with angry parents demanding something in return for their kids being 'injured'.

My wife and I have no kids and I've sadly discovered that if you even look at a kid these days and smile that some people think you're some sort of predator, so I don't tend to hang around the play areas in the park 😧 . I'm only going off what I recall somebody talking about on here a few years ago so have no idea how true or much of a problem this was?

J4546

yeah I think its more a liability thing at least in the states. People are happy to sue for anything so I guess building an area that allows kids to possibly get hurt is prob not a high priority for disney. Though I do love playgrounds myself, DCA has a pretty nice one by GRR I enjoy walking through whenever I visit. I loved the one in IoA in the Jurassic Park area. TSL should def get one

Lilofan

yeah I think its more a liability thing at least in the states. People are happy to sue for anything so I guess building an area that allows kids to possibly get hurt is prob not a high priority for disney. Though I do love playgrounds myself, DCA has a pretty nice one by GRR I enjoy walking through whenever I visit. I loved the one in IoA in the Jurassic Park area. TSL should def get one
Safety seemed to be on the back burner at MGM back in the day when the Honey playground was operating. It was basically a free for all for the kids. The huge netting the kids used to climb and at times become entangled on was so sticky with substances of who knows what. Back in the day there were no hand sanitizers for anyone to disinfect their filthy hands unless one went to the bathrooms and wash and soap with that pink borax like soap that not only cleaned your hands but seemed like take a layer off your skin also.

Lilofan

I remember reading on here that there used to be quite a lot of injuries at the Honey I Shrunk playground. Nothing like broken necks and fingers being chopped off, but rather lots of crying kids with cuts and grazes. Being kids they requested medical assistance (as kids do, "Mum I've cut my finger") and I recall people saying the CM's were then tied up with angry parents demanding something in return for their kids being 'injured'.

My wife and I have no kids and I've sadly discovered that if you even look at a kid these days and smile that some people think you're some sort of predator, so I don't tend to hang around the play areas in the park 😧 . I'm only going off what I recall somebody talking about on here a few years ago so have no idea how true or much of a problem this was?
There was a lawsuit in public records having a family suing WDW due to daughter breaking her leg sliding down a slide at Honey playground at MGM.

WorldExplorer

Original Poster
I didn't think this would be such a depressing thread. Oh well, points taken.

I don't have kids, I just think it was a really good example of going above and beyond where it wasn't really necessary; even being an adult the theming is amazing with these places.

The Boneyard makes me wish I was still small enough to actually play in it (HISTK I think I went in and TSI I know I did).

Quietmouse

For good reason. Cosmic Rewind is good, not great. Lots of people here don't think it's "Amazing." It's a very good to great indoor rollercoaster with marginal theming in the wrong park.

I disagree entirely. It’s a transcending experience and it might not be for everyone, but that’s okay. It’s my top 3 in Disney world and I’m so happy with what imagineering accomplished .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom