Do you still feel a loyalty to Disney?

Goofyernmost

The thing is is Today's Caddy is better in every respect than one built 10 years ago with respect to performance, fit and finish, comfort and fuel economy, The same is NOT true of WDW.

P.S.
Nothing will ever touch a Classic 60's Caddy convertible but that was a product of it's time and we'll never see it's like again.
I owned a 2005 Cadillac DHS. It costs $57000.00 new and had every imaginable perk, bell and whistle on it. I loved the car and I bought it with the hopes that it would last me through my retirement. Last year I had to sell it because I could no longer afford to own it. It only had 120K on it. The interior and exterior was like brand new. When I purchased it, it had a 5 year, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warrantee on it. Even with the big V-8, on the highway it got about 29 miles per gallon. As soon as the warrantee ended (at the 5 year mark) it was a continuous major problem month after month. In just 3 years I spent over 14K on it in repairs alone. Not counting regular maintenance, etc. It's final breath was the discovery of the need for new head gaskets. $6000.00 repair on a car the booked for $900.00 by then. Bye, bye, Caddy, hello leased VW. 40 miles per gallon, full warrantee, and piece of mind since that day. So, cost and value do not ever have a solid connection.

grnflash

While Disneyland still captures my heart and soul, no matter how many times I pass through the tunnels, it's never had an exclusive loyalty from me. We enjoy and even have annual passes at other theme parks. As for other travel, if the choice was between giving up DL to travel elsewhere or keeping DL but limiting other destinations, DL would be gone in a heartbeat.

Interestingly it was our first trip to WDW that while enjoyed, increased my loyalty to DL but decreased it for Disney as a company. The "corporate" feel of WDW does not engender my loyalty.

Minnesota disney fan

They are classics, i'm a truck guy but caddys you cannot help but admire the lines

When I was a teenager, Dad had a 60 caddy convertible with white leather seats. It was that metallic blue that I haven't seen since. I got to drive it and you could turn the wheel with one finger. Loved it. It had the fins too. Wish he would have kept it! sigh..........................

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You never forget your first love, and for many, Disney was their first theme park experience.

That said, how many of us married our first loves?

IanDLBZF

I've been going to WDW since 1997, I've been back many times ever since (I became an AP in December 2015 with my pass activated in February 2016)! Universal I will admit I haven't been since the late 1990s, back "Ride The Movies" really meant it, not the hunk-a-junk Screen based attractions that we are seeing nowadays. I have to admit, every once in a while, a visit to SeaWorld or Busch Gardens is good in moderation.
If I ever do go to Universal again, it'll just be for the Harry Potter stuff (and not much more).

Seanual757

We are with 4 young girls, we are invested in several DVC properties, annual passes for years we continue to come back, we rarely visit SeaWorld, LEGOLAND, and I have not been to Universal for over 10 years. Will we open to other theme parks sure but while the lids are young it will be Disney I do see Universal in our future as the two older girls will want more roller coasters, until Disney opens the 5th Gate "Florida Adventure" and load it up with thrill rides :D

Florida_is_hot

Do you really think you would get an accurate response here? Read the name of the forum everyone that takes time to register and log in are fans. (extremists)

I like going to WDW when it is convenient but I generally find for the price I rather go somewhere else. Been doing a lot of cruises and not Disney cruises either.

Bpmorley

I don't know if I'm loyal to Disney or not anymore. I grew up having Sunday dinner at my grandmothers and watching the wonderful world of Disney after. My parents took us twice as kids in 72 and 78. I personally didn't return til 2000, then joined DVC in 2004. I'm loyal as I pay my dues and paid off my contracts. After that, not so much. We frequent the resorts more than the parks or restaurants anymore. Way more value for your money a mile away. I'm as loyal to them as they are to me.

Disneyhead'71

I've been going to WDW since 1997, I've been back many times ever since (I became an AP in December 2015 with my pass activated in February 2016)! Universal I will admit I haven't been since the late 1990s, back "Ride The Movies" really meant it, not the hunk-a-junk Screen based attractions that we are seeing nowadays. I have to admit, every once in a while, a visit to SeaWorld or Busch Gardens is good in moderation.
If I ever do go to Universal again, it'll just be for the Harry Potter stuff (and not much more).
Please don't bother going to Universal. You have absolutely no intentions of enjoying yourself there. And you'ld be a little black rain cloud to everyone around you. Sad.

Have you even been to IOA?

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
You never forget your first love, and for many, Disney was their first theme park experience.

That said, how many of us married our first loves?

I would feel like I was cheating on Disney by going to Universal, SeaWorld, etc; much like cheating on my wife with a cheap prostitute.

Dunston

I've never felt a "brand loyalty" to Disney that would prevent me from visiting other theme parks in the area. I only went to WDW on Orlando trips until Harry Potter opened in Universal, but even still, I prefer Disney over Universal because it has that zap-a-d-doo-dah-da magic that other places just don't have.

Frankly, I believe that having and supporting competition in Orlando creates a net benefit for the average theme park goer, because it drives each park to grow and build. Harry Potter dislodged WDW from its years of stagnant growth, and now there are many new attractions coming in the near future in WDW. Innovations like those leaked from Nintendo Land plans or the kinds of thrills that are coming in Star Wars Land are possible through this healthy competition.

Seabasealpha1

I'm loyal to Disney...but on occasion I'm perplexed/annoyed with the leadership...

Deep down I feel like I'm loyal to Walt. Yeah...I know he doesn't factor much anymore...but I feel like I'm "old school Disney" at heart.

Ralphlaw

For us, getting anywhere other than WDW would be a pain. We fly in, take Magic Express, and don't bother going anywhere else. Renting a car would be a pain, and learning a system to ride everything Harry Potter would be a bit too much like work for us on vacation. Put another way, I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to get to and enjoy the other parks. Part of the Disney vacation is the relaxation aspect, and monkeying with car rentals and other parks would thwart my relaxation.

With that being said, we've hired a car and rented a car to get to the Kennedy Space Center, once for a shuttle launch and once to have lunch with an astronaut. That was worthwhile, especially when my son was space crazy. We'll be at WDW for 10 days in December and January, so if we get bored, maybe we'll pony up to rent a car and go to Universal to Harry Potter the day away. We'll see, but I doubt that we'll feel up to it while in chillax mode.

Bpmorley

Yes. Whenever I hear someone talking about how they'd never go to Disneyworld or that they don't like "that sort of thing," I find myself defending it. "You should try it," I usually say, "I think you'd like it." In my mind, I'm thinking, "You're clearly a fool with no imagination."

I do that too, but I also do the same for cruises, and key west, and spring training, etc....

Bpmorley

For us, getting anywhere other than WDW would be a pain. We fly in, take Magic Express, and don't bother going anywhere else. Renting a car would be a pain, and learning a system to ride everything Harry Potter would be a bit too much like work for us on vacation. Put another way, I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to get to and enjoy the other parks. Part of the Disney vacation is the relaxation aspect, and monkeying with car rentals and other parks would thwart my relaxation.

With that being said, we've hired a car and rented a car to get to the Kennedy Space Center, once for a shuttle launch and once to have lunch with an astronaut. That was worthwhile, especially when my son was space crazy. We'll be at WDW for 10 days in December and January, so if we get bored, maybe we'll pony up to rent a car and go to Universal to Harry Potter the day away. We'll see, but I doubt that we'll feel up to it while in chillax mode.

But if you can figure out the rides, fast passes and disney transportation, surely you can figure out how to rent a car and read a map. We started getting a car about 10 years ago and we'll never go without one in disney again. The money and convenience we save goes far beyond the price.

Ralphlaw

But if you can figure out the rides, fast passes and disney transportation, surely you can figure out how to rent a car and read a map. We started getting a car about 10 years ago and we'll never go without one in disney again. The money and convenience we save goes far beyond the price.

Oh I'm fully confident I can do it. I just really don't want to stress about anything on my Disney vacation. Somehow getting from resort to rental car, paying for it and dealing with Universal would all be just a bit stressful. Yes, adventurous, but also stressful. Compare that to a slow morning, walking to Epcot from the Boardwalk, wandering around, catching our Fastpass times, and just taking in the ambience. Some people have a lakeside cottage. I have the Boardwalk and all of Disney.

With that being said, I've taken the family to Europe four summers in a row, the last two without any tours or guides, just me in charge with planes, trains and automobiles (and Rick Steves guidebooks). I can do the planning thing, I just prefer not to during our Disney vacation.

But renting a car at Disney certainly has its advantages. Let me think it all through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom