Do you still feel a loyalty to Disney?

Minnesota disney fan

Oh I'm fully confident I can do it. I just really don't want to stress about anything on my Disney vacation. Somehow getting from resort to rental car, paying for it and dealing with Universal would all be just a bit stressful. Yes, adventurous, but also stressful. Compare that to a slow morning, walking to Epcot from the Boardwalk, wandering around, catching our Fastpass times, and just taking in the ambience. Some people have a lakeside cottage. I have the Boardwalk and all of Disney.

With that being said, I've taken the family to Europe four summers in a row, the last two without any tours or guides, just me in charge with planes, trains and automobiles (and Rick Steves guidebooks). I can do the planning thing, I just prefer not to during our Disney vacation.

But renting a car at Disney certainly has its advantages. Let me think it all through.

My husband and I are kind of the same way, regarding staying at WDW and using magical express vs a rental car.
My husband hates to drive in Florida, so using magical express is something we won't do without.
We did take a cab to Universal for a one day Harry Potter visit, and worked out well. No driving for hubby and the cab was so convenient. We didn't use uber at the time, but would probably try that next time.
We have booked an overnight at Universal staying onsite at the Royal Pacific Resort (what an absolutely beautiful place) and took advantage of early entry, express pass, and staying at a great resort.
I don't like to cook on vacation, afterall it is vacation! So, I love being onsite and getting meals QS or tS.
I really understand your rational. You Could drive, but you really don't want to. I get it. We love to absorb the ambience of WDW, and are quite happy doing that.

Raineman

One thing I've noticed on this thread, when some people are discussing the notion of loyalty to Disney, is that other theme parks are brought up as alternatives. I love theme parks as much as anyone, but, if you are looking at alternatives to a vacation at WDW, why just stick to theme parks? There are so many places to visit in North America that won't empty your bank account, places steeped in history, places with lots of things to see and do. In the past year and a half, I've visited both Nashville (twice) and Savannah, Ga, places I've never been before, places that have so much to offer that have nothing to do with rides, attractions, parades or fireworks. I think people are depriving themselves of great life experiences if they limit their vacations to theme parks.

Ralphlaw

Quite true. There are many wonderful places not just in North America, but around the world. I've made travel a priority with my family over the last few years, spending way too much time and money on it. But now that my son's in college, I think it was all money well spent. The unique aspect for us is that we used to love the size and adventure of a Disney vacation. But now we still go for some of that, but also for relaxation and familiar great times: Sangria in the Italian Pavilion, Candlelight Processional, Illuminations, Star Tours, Kilimanjaro, closing the parks, Pirates at night. Starting in 2014, we've been to nearly 20 countries, having amazing adventures, conquering fears, being amazed, and blazing trails that our family has never done before (like driving in Germany and England).

Those were great crusades, but Disney World is the one we probably look forward to the most, and much of it is the calm familiarity of it all. Going to Universal or some other Florida attraction wouldn't be hard compared to navigating Venice or driving the Autobahn, but it would be a "task" that my relaxed self might want to avoid.

Goofyernmost

For us, getting anywhere other than WDW would be a pain. We fly in, take Magic Express, and don't bother going anywhere else. Renting a car would be a pain, and learning a system to ride everything Harry Potter would be a bit too much like work for us on vacation. Put another way, I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to get to and enjoy the other parks. Part of the Disney vacation is the relaxation aspect, and monkeying with car rentals and other parks would thwart my relaxation.
Not putting you down... what you feel comfortable with is entirely a personal decision, however, I can say that I cannot wrap my brain around that situation. I have always strived for independence. I do not want anyone, including a cute little cartoon mouse, dictating to me by having complete control over my location. Uni is an easy 15 minute, I-4 ride away from Disney that harbors all kinds of new adventures and fun things. Many of the really good imagineers that once built a lot of the things that you love at Disney are now working for Universal. They know what they are doing and the entertainment factor is top notch. Sea World is even closer to Disney. Not to mention the multitude of things that there are to experience just a couple of miles away on International drive, plus another 20 miles or so to Legoland. (once known as Cyprus Gardens.) That area of Florida is jam packed full of fun things that you a have allowed yourselves to not experience because of why again? Don't like to drive. Hundreds of dining places that do not require a reservation or a home mortgage to dine at.

When I first went to WDW the only method available for navigation were the AAA road maps. Now you have GPS with door to door directions which makes it so easy it's almost a crime. To each his own, but, I have accumulated a lot more hours exploring other parts of Florida, like Kennedy Space Center, the Sunshine Bridge in Tampa and a couple of hours drive up the road to Silver Springs then actual hours at Disney. Disney is wonderful and I have made over 45 trips there over the years, but, I have only once stayed onsite and even then I had a rental car the whole week and used it often to explore other places. Unlike many I do not know what I want to eat 60, or more, days out. I like to decide when I am hungry and decide at that point and save hundreds in the process.

copcarguyp71

2006, 2008, 2010, 2012...yes

2013...somehow the veil became so thin that we saw the man behind the curtain...and the empty spaces...and the fountains turned off...and a lot of other stuff. Maybe we had been blind to it before or maybe it all hit the fan at once but my steadfast subversive attempts to sway the DW towards a Disney vacation time and again fell way off overdrive. Looking at possibly a split stay in 2018 between WDW and the park whose name dare not be spoken instead of being steadfast as we once were.

Ralphlaw

Not putting you down... what you feel comfortable with is entirely a personal decision, however, I can say that I cannot wrap my brain around that situation. I have always strived for independence. I do not want anyone, including a cute little cartoon mouse, dictating to me by having complete control over my location. Uni is an easy 15 minute, I-4 ride away from Disney that harbors all kinds of new adventures and fun things. Many of the really good imagineers that once built a lot of the things that you love at Disney are now working for Universal. They know what they are doing and the entertainment factor is top notch. Sea World is even closer to Disney. Not to mention the multitude of things that there are to experience just a couple of miles away on International drive, plus another 20 miles or so to Legoland. (once known as Cyprus Gardens.) That area of Florida is jam packed full of fun things that you a have allowed yourselves to not experience because of why again? Don't like to drive. Hundreds of dining places that do not require a reservation or a home mortgage to dine at.

When I first went to WDW the only method available for navigation were the AAA road maps. Now you have GPS with door to door directions which makes it so easy it's almost a crime. To each his own, but, I have accumulated a lot more hours exploring other parts of Florida, like Kennedy Space Center, the Sunshine Bridge in Tampa and a couple of hours drive up the road to Silver Springs then actual hours at Disney. Disney is wonderful and I have made over 45 trips there over the years, but, I have only once stayed onsite and even then I had a rental car the whole week and used it often to explore other places. Unlike many I do not know what I want to eat 60, or more, days out. I like to decide when I am hungry and decide at that point and save hundreds in the process.

I see your point 100%, but on those two occasions when we left Disney property, we returned with the feeling that we would have rather stayed. Fighting traffic was a big part of it. While sitting in the car, or tolerating less than Disney service at a restaurant or somewhere else, we all started thinking that we would have preferred to have even a mediocre day back at the world than a great day somewhere else due to all the hassle that went with it. As I said earlier, we can do the adventurous vacation with new languages, car rentals, and the rest. But when it comes to our winter vacation at Disney, relaxation and familiarity are a prime goal.

The one temptation would indeed be Harry Potter, and that is something that we're considering over Christmas this year. But why do I think I'll be spending a very long time in lines if I went to Universal for a day?

eliza61nyc

For us, getting anywhere other than WDW would be a pain. We fly in, take Magic Express, and don't bother going anywhere else. Renting a car would be a pain, and learning a system to ride everything Harry Potter would be a bit too much like work for us on vacation. Put another way, I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to get to and enjoy the other parks. Part of the Disney vacation is the relaxation aspect, and monkeying with car rentals and other parks would thwart my relaxation.

e.

I find that part sooo weird because Disney is one of the most high maintenance vacations around.
First you have to make dining reservations 6 months out. sorry I travel around the globe (well never been to Asia or AFrica so I should probably change that. lol) and Disney is the only place that requires me to do that. Next it's the 60 day get up at the crack of dawn to get fp's routine. lastly the lack of flexibility. lord forbid you have to change your plans a week before you go. talk about work.

maybe once you get there Disney can be relaxing and even that is suspect due to you know having to plan your day out to make all those appointments.
but Disney is truly the only place that I've traveled to that after you make your hotel reservations you still put in hours worth of work. Now we don't do it so much because we've been dozens of times but even as old heads it's work.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
One thing I've noticed on this thread, when some people are discussing the notion of loyalty to Disney, is that other theme parks are brought up as alternatives. I love theme parks as much as anyone, but, if you are looking at alternatives to a vacation at WDW, why just stick to theme parks? There are so many places to visit in North America that won't empty your bank account, places steeped in history, places with lots of things to see and do. In the past year and a half, I've visited both Nashville (twice) and Savannah, Ga, places I've never been before, places that have so much to offer that have nothing to do with rides, attractions, parades or fireworks. I think people are depriving themselves of great life experiences if they limit their vacations to theme parks.
Gettysburg. Visit Gettysburg.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I find that part sooo weird because Disney is one of the most high maintenance vacations around.
First you have to make dining reservations 6 months out. sorry I travel around the globe (well never been to Asia or AFrica so I should probably change that. lol) and Disney is the only place that requires me to do that. Next it's the 60 day get up at the crack of dawn to get fp's routine. lastly the lack of flexibility. lord forbid you have to change your plans a week before you go. talk about work.

maybe once you get there Disney can be relaxing and even that is suspect due to you know having to plan your day out to make all those appointments.
but Disney is truly the only place that I've traveled to that after you make your hotel reservations you still put in hours worth of work. Now we don't do it so much because we've been dozens of times but even as old heads it's work.
That's a valid perspective. I've had paid jobs that were less work than planning our 2016 trip to WDW.

It used to be pick the dates, reserve the room, add the tickets and wait.

Now it's ever so much more complicated.

Ralphlaw

My wife and I don't mind the planning ahead of time because we're still in work/home mode. I actually enjoy that part--thinking about vacation while not on vacation. My wife and I sit in our sunroom in the morning and enjoy the planning and going though the options. But once I'm there, I want to minimize the stress and hassles as much as possible. I also hate being stuck in a line, in traffic or in a mediocre place when I'm actually on vacation. "I came all the way down here to stand in line for an hour OR to sit in traffic OR to find a parking spot." Although I miss the mad morning rush for paper fastpasses, I now prefer knowing ahead of time whether I have to get up early or if I can ease into my day. Again, I've driven in other countries and mastered train schedules and even the crazy transportation options in places like Venice where I don't speak the language. That was a grand adventure, but at Disney I really don't want to do any of that.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally, my only vacation options are theme parks and New York City to see broadway shows. I legit don't have much fun anywhere else except on maybe a Disney cruise ship, but only Disney. If everyone is like me, they just KNOW that they will have an amazing time at a theme park as opposed to, say, the beach, or camping, which I hate.

Goofyernmost

I see your point 100%, but on those two occasions when we left Disney property, we returned with the feeling that we would have rather stayed. Fighting traffic was a big part of it. While sitting in the car, or tolerating less than Disney service at a restaurant or somewhere else, we all started thinking that we would have preferred to have even a mediocre day back at the world than a great day somewhere else due to all the hassle that went with it. As I said earlier, we can do the adventurous vacation with new languages, car rentals, and the rest. But when it comes to our winter vacation at Disney, relaxation and familiarity are a prime goal.

The one temptation would indeed be Harry Potter, and that is something that we're considering over Christmas this year. But why do I think I'll be spending a very long time in lines if I went to Universal for a day?
Having a little problem trying to figure out exactly what the hassle is that everyone is talking about. If you stay offsite or have a way to get offsite, you sit in a car and drive just a few miles to other entertainment venues. Does driving to the store for groceries seem like a major hassle to anyone? Same thing! Hungry? Gee, I see a restaurant that has things I like, so I guess I'll turn in here and have dinner. Whew, you're right, I'm exhausted now! It would be so much easier to walk a mile from my room, to a bus stop and stand there waiting for the bus to take me within another mile walk to a reservation that I will probably still have to wait for seating because not everyone eats at the required speed. Then find my way back to the bus, wait and ride back to my return mile walk to my room. Yup, that sounds so much simpler.

Look, I don't care if you spend months planning your stress free vacation, that's up to you. Just don't justify it by making believe that doing anything else is some form of slave labor. Just say you like staying onsite and you don't mind the hours of advanced planning to have that. That I can get behind, but, don't paint a picture of intense burden just to make others feel that you are onto something great by letting Disney own you and your wallet.

Standing in line at Universal? For just a few bucks more you don't have to decide what three things to see under their Fastpass like system. You can go to any and every one of them with their pass or you can do like you are going to do most of the time at WDW... stand in line waiting for a 1 minute ride. Like I said, if you don't want to see anything else that's fine with me, but, don't create situations that don't exist just to avoid it. You don't have to go anyplace else, I just think that I mention it because there are really good options out there where you can get your Disney fix and also enjoy new things as well. Up to you!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Just don't expect weeks and weeks of adventure. Once you glance at the field where the battle was held, that is pretty much all there is to it.
Which battle? I'll wait while you pick one.

That's the fascination of Gettysburg, to get an in-depth briefing up front, and then to follow the 3-day sequence of events close up and in person. You can do it in one day, and even my kids (pre-teens at the time) found it fascinating.

Goofyernmost

Which battle? I'll wait while you pick one.

That's the fascination of Gettysburg, to get an in-depth briefing up front, and then to follow the 3-day sequence of events close up and in person. You can do it in one day, and even my kids (pre-teens at the time) found it fascinating.
I didn't say it wasn't fascinating, but, it isn't exactly an action packed, tired to the bone, week long experience. And except for perhaps a small bus or two... no rides. I love history, but, since I could sit in a Denny's having lunch and see most of the major battlefield, it lost something in the translation.

The board that issued building permits and established zoning, failed to see it as a bonafide historical tourist site. It was a let down for me... to much commercialism within the view. Now I know why Walt insisted on such a large area. However, I did have the same reaction to Colonial (fake town) Williamsburg. Not because it was fake, but, because it was (and is) promoted in such a way to mislead people into thinking that it is an original.

John park hopper

I have always had good luck with Chrysler cars so over the many years I purchase Chrysler products guess you would call it brand loyalty/preference. Similiar feeling about Disney but when I feel Disney is no longer offering a good product I will look elsewhere

Ralphlaw

Here's where "hassle" comes in: If instead of Disney I owned a beach front cottage and decided to spend a week there, leaving the place might indeed feel like a hassle. I am fully capable of handling day to day life, but imagine leaving my peaceful beach front cottage to deal with traffic, checkouts, etc . . . I go on vacation to get away from that stuff. My peaceful mood would go right back to workaday mode. That's in large part why I'm reluctant to leave Disney once I'm there.

Goofyernmost

I have always had good luck with Chrysler cars so over the many years I purchase Chrysler products guess you would call it brand loyalty/preference. Similiar feeling about Disney but when I feel Disney is no longer offering a good product I will look elsewhere
So you don't have Chrysler's anymore? (with the possible exception of the Dodge Ram);)

Disneyhead'71

With that being said, we've hired a car and rented a car to get to the Kennedy Space Center, once for a shuttle launch and once to have lunch with an astronaut. That was worthwhile, especially when my son was space crazy. We'll be at WDW for 10 days in December and January, so if we get bored, maybe we'll pony up to rent a car and go to Universal to Harry Potter the day away. We'll see, but I doubt that we'll feel up to it while in chillax mode.
You could always take the last three days of you vacation. Uber up to Portofino Bay Resort @ universal for 3 nights. It comes with Unlimited Express Passes for EVERYTHING for the entire family for the duration of your stay. Pop over to the parks for a few rides, head back to the resort for a spa treatment and a bottle of wine and a cheese board around the harbor while listening to Opera singers on the balcony. Then turn in early. Rinse/Repeat the next day.

1280x504_548_b9a877b36c8b106bfcb797e3873039df.jpg

Here is a little secret, Universal Orlando, in every way, is monumentally less stressful than WDW. It's, shockingly like a real vacation. Who knew?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom