Do you remember your first trip to DW?

lilclerk

I was 6 and I went with my mom, grandma and two sisters. All I remember is meeting Minnie and being absolutely terrified on Spaceship Earth. I thought I was going to fall out and fall alllll the way down. I also remember walking under it and loving that. The only thing I remember getting is that souvenir EPCOT Center video and I watched it so much I wore it out. Oh and an Alice in Wonderland miniature tea set that I still have.
I don't remember going to MK at all, but my mom says I loved it :lol:

ThinkTink721

I was 7 during my 1st trip also.

I remember...
The Magic Kingdom (it was the only park at the time)
-the Electric Light Parade
-purchasing a souvenir from a shop on Main Street (a Minnie Mouse figurine that I still have over 30 years later)
-riding Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, the Jungle Cruise, the Mad Tea Party, It's A Small World, the Flight of Peter Pan & the train
-being scared to ride Space Mountain
-driving the antique cars instead of the Speedway in Tomorrowland
-riding 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
-walking through Cinderella's Castle for the 1st time
-running into the quick service restaurant in Tomorrowland when it began to rain
-listening to the fireworks each night from our camper at Ft. Wilderness

:wave:

DizneyPryncess

I was 2 or 3 on my first trip so I have no memories whatsoever.

The first trip I really remember was when I was probably 6. All I remember is screaming my head off on it's a small world, leaving the resort we were at and going to a new one because it was dirty, and playing with live rabbits at the Grand Floridian. I think the rabbits were there because it was Easter time.

LoriMistress

My first trip to WDW was when I was 23 on my honeymoon with DH in 2003. It was a wonderful vacation. I was practically raised in DLR. My earliest memory of DLR was when I was a baby. I was wearing a Mickey Mouse outfit, sitting in an old school DLR stroller, at the hub, looking at the castle, and playing with my mom's keys. I was probably a year old.

dvm258

I was probably 3 on my first trip to Disney in 1993. We stayed at the Poly, and spent one day at each park before going home. (Us FL residents don't take long, extended trips to WDW.) My brother was less than a year old. I have some memories of Dumbo, playing in the Honey I Shunk the Kids Playground, driving on Tomorrow Land speedway, and only vague ones of shows. I drove my parents crazy because I always asked for "moooooooore" at the end of each ride, show, or character meeting. I also had this obsession with riding in the Dumbo with the purple cap, for whatever reason.

I do remember going to a character breakfast and messing around with Pluto's tongue alot when he came to our table.

Closer to the end of the day at the Magic Kingdom, my grandparents who were with us bought me a huge Mickey Mouse doll, which at the time was larger than I was. I still have it today. It's in great condition, but has that hard to describe 80s and 90s look to it. :)

Because we wanted to take more trips after that but didn't want to spend as much, my parents tried something new. We woke up at 5 AM to drive to Orlando and got back home around midnight. It's a 4 hour drive to WDW from where we live, and my parents wanted to try to avoid the cost of a hotel. They vowed to never to this again. It was just way too tiring after a full day at the park and getting up so early.

moosie

Our first trip was in 1990 when our two girls were 6 and 14 years old. We stayed in Disney Village at the old Howard Johnsons. We were so excited to be there and I'll never forget the first time I saw Magic Kingdom while on the shuttle bus. Our stay was short (3 days) and we packed in so much getting by getting up dawn. MGM had just opened and we loved the backstage tour ride along with catastrophe canyon. Magic Kingdom was a delight and Space Mountain was soo scarry. Our 6 year old daughter (who is now 25) still loves it. We bought her a pink princess hat at a store that was, at that time, in Cinderella's castle (she still has the hat). We also loved Tony's in MK for breakfast and the Mickey pancakes at Chef Mickey's (which was then located at Disney Marketplace). We celebrated our last evening by going to the Polynesian Luau, a wonderful show, and our youngest daughter fell asleep at the table :snore: (17 years later we stayed at the Poly and our room was along the same walkway as the Luau). It was a magical trip and the first of many.

Cannon3

August 1974. I remember because while we were there, Nixon resigned from Office. We stayed at the Wilderness Campground and I remember going to a big campfire thing where they played a Disney movie on a big outside screen. I was 9 at the time and I remember meeting a girl. She was cool and we hung out during the movie. I do not remember her name or where she was from. Never saw her again, but I had a great time that night with her.

Mikester71

I remember it like it was only a few years ago...oh wait, it was! :p Actually it was 4 years ago and I was 34 years old. My wife had been a few times as a child, but this was the first time for our children and myself. Remember pretty much everything about the trip and have been 2 more times since.

I grew up seeing all the Disney films and watching the Wonderful World Of Disney every weekend, but I wouldn't really call myself a Disney fanatic. After that first trip to WDW, I am absolutely hooked on the parks though. Thought last month was going to be our last family trip down there for a while now that the kids are getting older and due to the fact that me and my wife wanted to get away, just the 2 of us, in 2 years for our 20th wedding anniversary. But after being back only a week or so, we were already having withdrawals and we have decided to skip the intimate vacation and go back down to the World in 2011 for another big family vacation.

There is always our 25th I guess! :ROFLOL:

Well it was October 1996, I was 32(1st timer), two kids ages 2 & 9 and hubby(which he had been in 1976). I still remember the look on the kids faces, I cherish the photos, SMILES,SMILES & SMILES!!!!!My hubby said it was so worth it to see our faces while we watched the fireworks by the castle and Tinkerbell fly over us. It was so magical...We stayed for 5 days. We only went to the MK and MGM, I still get the same feeling everytime we go. We try to go every year, Due to some sad times in our families we have missed a couple years, but it makes us enjoy it even more when we go back.:p

Susan Savia

First trip was in 1984. Been married 3 years by then, with a 1 year old. I remember riding the monorail and seeing the castle for the first time and feeling so absolutely in awe of everything. Got loads of pictures to bring back the memories... :)

Tubes

November 1997. Distinct memories include:

-getting the ____!t scared out of me by Alien Encounter
-My brother having to sit out Space Mountain and getting a bunch of tokens from a cast member to use at the Arcade.
-Test Track being closed despite supposedly opening in May
-Horizons and my brother choosing the wrong end video
-Cranium Command and Food Rocks
-Character Breakfast with Chip and Dale at 'Ohana.
-Waiting in the epic line just for 15 seconds with Mickey.
-The Great Movie Ride (which I haven't rode in over 10 years and still remember to a tee)
-Seeing Threepio and Artoo in the Star Tours queue.
-True Colors preshow to Honey I Shrunk The Audience
-The 50's Drive In
-The massive suite at Old Key West and watching Batman Forever on the bedroom TV.

My dad took a Hi8 video of the entire vacation. I remember watching it a lot when I was younger. One particularly distinctive shot was a zoom on the Tower of Terror as we walked down Sunset. I made sure to replicate that shot when we went to DCA in 2005.

I also got a Disney 25th Anniversary book that I still have somewhere.

Camelot

My first trip to Disney was in 1980 with my Mom. We had a great time. We went again the following year, and due to our vacation schedule, had to return home the day before the opening of EPCOT :-(

Most memorable moment: Mom chasing after Mickey to have her picture taken with him. Priceless.

cjgtigger

It was July 1988 (I still have the tickets) - I was 19 years old. I had never left the state of Rhode Island and now I am standing on Main Street looking at the Castle! I too cried while I was there.

The first character I saw was Goofy - my husband will tell you that I was running and knocking little children down to get to see him. I remember waiting in a line with a bunch of 5 year olds and then me....

It was extremely hot but I will never forget that day. We just got back from the "world" and I love more today than I did back then.

ColoradoDWFan

Original Poster
Another thing I remember is my brother crying like a little girl to not go on SM. I still remind him today of his emotional breakdown as a 8 year old.

Ashitaka

I was twenty-three (no, not the membership club) and went with my older brother. I remember it all, except for that second half of World Showcase. For some reason that's kinda fuzzy...:lookaroun

juscet

I was 8 years old, there was only MK, we ate at the Crystal Palace, I loved the HM, and Pirates, the lines were too long for 20,000 Leagues, we tried to get one more ride before we left, but my parents just wanted to go home, so I never did ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, my first Disney souvenirs was a ceramic 101 Dalmation and a Pluto glass, and I cried when we took the boat to the parking lot. :)

Chrononymous

What a great thread! I love reading about everyone's memories!

It was 1983. The summer before I started High School.

I remember my first time riding the POTC and the Haunted Mansion...and they were definitely highlights of my life up to that point!

I also distinctly remember eating German food in EPCOT, and buying little fuzzy imported animals in the shop there.
My favorite thing in EPCOT was Journey into Imagination! Loved everything about it...the jumping waters outside, meeting Dreamfinder and Figment, the cool interactive exhibits in the pavillion...and of course the ride! LOVED the ride.

The people I was there with were going to skip the pavillion entirely, because they thought it was too babyish, and that I, as a teenager, was too old for that sort of thing!

I still chuckle about that.
I will never be too old for anything in the parks!

wdwCC

I went for a family reunion when I was 9. I remember walking around MK getting tired so my mom and I went on the Skyride, while my dad went on Space Mountain with my brothers. I think that trip was the one and only time I have been to Toontown.

Epcot got boring for me back then. It was September, humid, and hated staying for Illuminations. How things change. :)

Mine was when I was 5. I remember that we had a ticket book each for each ride. We went every year for my birthday until my dad got laid off from working in the steel mill near our home. We had such a good time, staying in hotels and Jellystone campgrounds near WDW. I also remember when the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse had a wait to get into, and when you walked through it it was a very slow process.

I now take my kids every year when we can. They love it.

scheat

24 years old in '93. The main thing I remember is the awe I felt that such a place existed. EPCOT was still EPCOT and I was just amazed. I wish I could feel that awe again, but that is a one time thing I'm afraid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom