Do you remember your first trip to DW?

DisneyPrincess5

Unfortunately I don't remember my first trip and I really wish I did! So many fun things happening in 1990 (Epcot attractions were there that are now closed, MGM was new...)!

Well, I remember one part and it was when I loved Figment so much that my parents bought me a Figment stuffed animal hand puppet and I dragged him on the ground in my stroller :lol:

Other than that, I remember it all through videos and pictures.

Jeff456

Yep it was back in 1999 I was 9 at the time, I remember most of it as it wasn't too long ago, but mostly remember collecting all the autographs and getting the passport type thing stamped at the countries in epcot.

Clare Voince

My first trip was in 1976, when I was 5 years old. The only thing I remember from the entire trip is sitting in the car in the Polynesian parking lot with my grandmother while my parents checked in, and my grandmother making us laugh by playing with a raggedy ann doll I had. I can't believe that's the only thing I remember, but it is! :ROFLOL:

ProfSlim

1976, I was 10 years old at the time ! (I've just recently celebrated my 33 anniversary of my 10 year old birthday ...haha)

We stayed at the Contemporary, my parents say it was $44.00 a night back then...

Space Mountain was "it"...I had never experienced anything like that...was literally shaking when I got off it for the first time...then proceeded to ride it a half dozen more times that week. I remember my Father having to buy more e-tickets (not sure what an e-ticket cost back then) because we burned through them in the "ticket book" pretty quickly.

Also HM, PoTC, and CBJ were favorites. Of course, you could get a "frozen banana" anywhere in the MK ...it's pretty hard to find them outside of the AK these days.

I was Disney-home-sick when we returned from that first week...I remember going back to school and daydreaming about the monorail, SM, etc..

WishIwasThere

I remeber the first time my family went...minus me. I was three at the time (1972 just before PoC opened) and my mother, father, and older brother went and left me and my younger cousin with my aunt. I just remeber how mad I was hearing the bragging from my brother how cool Dumbo was and the HM and the other rides.

My first trip was in 1980 when I was 10. We stayed for two days in a little motel in Kissimee. That road leading up to the MK seemed so long back then, listening to that AM informational radio station. Seeing the Contemporary resort A frame sticking above the trees by the parking lot. Watching in awe as the monorails went almost silently over our heads. I was hooked. It was crowded (April vacation) but we had alot of fun. BTMRR was still being built, all the rides seemed magical to me as a 10 year old. My step mother freaking out as we headed towards space mountain on the people mover, as my father tried to convice us (quite effectively) that we were going to ride space mountain. The second day there was rainy crowded and miserable and midway through the day my father decided he had enough and pulled his crying child down main street USA for the long car ride back to Connecticut.

bgraham34

I don't really remember my first time but I was 9 at the time. I only actually remember being in school and doing a show and tell about it. But I know I was hooked at that time.

talfonso

The first time I stepped into WDW was in the 1991 holiday season, when I was the tender age of 2. It was obsolete/rare character heaven - seeing Owl from Winnie the Pooh, the Gummi Bears, Baloo and Louie in TaleSpin garb, Maid Marian from Robin Hood, and what a lot of us character junkies miss: Roger Rabbit! The 20th anniversary celebrations were well underway at that time, with a Carnival-themed parade (Surprise Celebration, if you all are wondering) and the latter obsolete/rare character making an appearance in Mickey's Magical TV Show (featuring Mickey himself and prominent Disney Afternoon celebs) in Mickey's Starland, now Mickey's Toontown Fair. My first ride was It's A Small World and the first character greeting was with Minnie, if memory serves me.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Let's see, I was 17 in 1973 (yea, do the math...) for my first visit. Drove down as part of a college visit swing. Stayed at the Poly (one of the two Disney hotels) and visited the MK where you had to buy a book of A-E tickets for the rides. After a few days of MK, visited Silver Springs and Cypress Gardens before taking the long drive north through swamps, orange groves and cow pastures.

Mickey-Mommy

This first time I went to Disney I was 16 and went with my bf (who's now my husband) and his family. His cousin (who was the Disney "expert" of our group) ran us from ride to ride, all over the place. While it was fun, I still remember thinking "This is it???" We went through Cinderella's Castle and when we got to the other side I thought Fantasyland was IN the middle of the castle. I felt so magical thinking I was there experiencing it.....until she said "well, that was the castle!" and I turn around and saw the backside of it....pretty disappointed then!

While I enjoyed my time with my bf, I was still pretty disappointed in what I had thought Disney was. I had built it up so much in my mind, I left thinking "I have no idea what all the hype is.....I'm pretty disappointed.....and have no intensions of returning".

Then I went back (since my bf LOVED Disney) 2 years later with just us and his mother. We had a great time and got engaged there on Splash Mountain.

I think the reason I hated it so much the first time was I was just so exhausted. His cousin was so excited to show us EVERYTHING and at a running pace. We didn't have time to enjoy anything.

September will be my 16th trip with my now DH. I couldn't imagine vacationing any place else. But I can see how some people will go to Disney only once and didn't have a good time the first visit so never go back.

Helena123

Cool stories everyone :)

Yepp, i remember my first trip when i was 7 in October '99 - i dont remember that much of it - but i do remember it. I have a few vague short memories:

I remember riding the Skyway in Fantasyland with my mum while my dad walked bellow with the stroller because the strollers weren't allowed on - seems kind of ironic now i suppose :lol:

I also remember riding the Haunted Mansion, i got scared of the spiders (something else that's no longer around) and refused to open my eyes for the rest of the ride haha. I also remember the stretch room but my memory is playing tricks with me on this one because i remember the lights going off and a dummy dead body with a noose around its neck, dropping down from a trapdoor in the ceiling :veryconfu, needless to say it scared the hell out of me

I also have other vague memories but for some reason these stick out the most

pcarathers

YES, I WAS 28 YEARS OLD!!!!! HAH....IT WAS OCTOBER OF 2000! We took my nephew for his 7th birthday! had a blast. Just me , my sister and her son, and our dad. We had more fun than most of the kids there. We had been planning it for so long and things just kept coming up. We finally made it in 2000 and surprised him with it for his birthday....we don't think he actually realized it until we were on the plane! it was priceless. That trip alone can NEVER be topped! IMHO:)

disneyowf

Great stuff everyone!

I went for the first time as a 35 yr old in 2000. I really wasn't looking forward to it that much. Had no idea what to expect. My DW had been there a couple of times and it was our 'turn' for her mom and dad to bring us down with our three kids (13, 12 and 10). My in-laws had brought each of their kids down with their grandkids over the years, and my wife was the youngest, so no it was our chance.

I remember walking through the parking lot of the Polynesian the first night we got there, even before we used any tickets, and just enjoying the tremendous 'magic' :lookaroun of all the happenings going on around me. I was absolutely awed by Illuminations during that trip and it really hit me what a special place Disney World is. We've been back four times since and can't wait to go again!

EPCOT.nut

Nope I don't remember my first WDW trip. Born in 1973, my family went in 1975. I asked my Mom recently what her best memory from her little daughter's first trip to Disney World was and she said.....

"It was HOT and you were HEAVY and I got so tired of CARRYING you around all day long I thought my arms were gonna fall off."

:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom