Do you get the feeling universal is one step ahead of Disney

HonorableMention

I'll agree that Universal is focusing way too much on screens and 3D, but they've been getting a lot better over the past few years. Theming and queues with HP and Kong have been fantastic and even their sparse amount of animatronics are getting more advanced. IOA has always been a solid park theming-wise, but the Studios are still a mess.

Uni isn't exactly close to being one step ahead of Disney. They have shown they can make immersive lands/queues, but they need to transfer that to more of the actual attractions.

MickeyMomV

Except that Magic Bands is just a band with a chip in them and have no interactive features. Tapu Tapu will alert guests when their ride times roll around and will feature other technology soon.
So the Tapu Tapu is new to me. What I'm reading online is at it sounds like a glorified restaurant pager that you wear on your wrist? Currently it is only to be used at Volcano Bay. You get one when you enter the park and you turn it in when you leave. All it does is keep track of your place in line and alert you when it is your turn. There is no interactive connectivity, there is no linking for room charges or ride photo's, and since its not assigned to you there is no personal attachment. Seems like it has a ways to go.....

I would think one of the two parks would team with a company like FitBit to use some of their tech. Imagine the possibilities of a Fit Bit Magic Band!!!

Bob Harlem

There is no interactive connectivity, there is no linking for room charges or ride photo's, and since its not assigned to you there is no personal attachment. Seems like it has a ways to go.....

Actually you can, it's tied to your ticket (or AP) and something they quietly rolled out this month which in turn ties it to the taputapu. I can tie one or more tickets to an account, which then can be tied to a room or credit card, and you can even use the phone app as a ticket if its linked.

The VB band version has a tongue in cheek name, tap tu pay. You can use the universal website or app to create an account and match tickets to see all of it. So yeah it actually does all that, if you want and it's entirely optional.

MickeyMomV

Actually you can, it's tied to your ticket (or AP) and something they quietly rolled out this month which in turn ties it to the taputapu. I can tie one or more tickets to an account, which then can be tied to a room or credit card, and you can even use the phone app as a ticket if its linked.

The VB band version has a tongue in cheek name, tap tu pay. You can use the universal website or app to create an account and match tickets to see all of it. So yeah it actually does all that, if you want and it's entirely optional.
OK. The sites I was reading said it was only rolling out at Volcano Bay. Is this something different then?

Bob Harlem

OK. The sites I was reading said it was only rolling out at Volcano Bay. Is this something different then?

Only the bands are going in Volcano bay but the system can be used anywhere. Use your phone, physical ticket, band, lanyard, or whatever. There's nothing stopping them linking the system to a disney magic band (by assigning the magic band ID to a ticket) either, but I doubt they would do that (although that would be hilarious if they did).

One crazy rumor I heard involved allow it to be mapped to potter wands or a Universal ring (hmm what I.P. could go with that)

Last edited:

Bacon

Except that Magic Bands is just a band with a chip in them and have no interactive features. Tapu Tapu will alert guests when their ride times roll around and will feature other technology soon.
well they do do the HHG some times etc etc also sorcerers of the magic kingdom

wdwfan4ver

I think Disney was silly to focus on Avatar when they did and not do more with Star Wars until now.
I disagree for multiple reasons although Star Wars Weekends were not enough for you.

1.) Star Wars isn't exactly a good fit for Animal Kingdom despite the return of the Jedi having Ewoks. I am pointing at how the ewoks were used in the movie. Eworks were mostly used in the movie as an ally of the rebels against the empire after the Rebels and the ewoks first met.
2.) Animal Kingdom needed more attractions as much as DHS needing a redo although I still think Disney should've done Beastly Kingdom for Animal Kingdom.
3.) I have a bad feeling that the asking price and what George wanted would be an issue. I have a bad feeling that George wanted the attractions to be connected with the prequels only. The prequels were not highly thought of compared to the first 3 movies.
4.) Not having enough Pixar in Pixar Place before the 2015 D23 Toy Storyland announce was a big problem. Pixar Place original was designed for having multiple Pixar IPS in the land, but TDO didn't want Monster Inc. Door Coaster.

correcaminos

I disagree for multiple reasons although Star Wars Weekends were not enough for you.

1.) Star Wars isn't exactly a good fit for Animal Kingdom despite the return of the Jedi having Ewoks. I am pointing at how the ewoks were used in the movie. Eworks were mostly used in the movie as an ally of the rebels against the empire after the Rebels and the ewoks first met.
2.) Animal Kingdom needed more attractions as much as DHS needing a redo although I still think Disney should've done Beastly Kingdom for Animal Kingdom.
3.) I have a bad feeling that the asking price and what George wanted would be an issue. I have a bad feeling that George wanted the attractions to be connected with the prequels only. The prequels were not highly thought of compared to the first 3 movies.
4.) Not having enough Pixar in Pixar Place before the 2015 D23 Toy Storyland announce was a big problem. Pixar Place original was designed for having multiple Pixar IPS in the land, but TDO didn't want Monster Inc. Door Coaster.
What the heck? Star Wars in AK? Who ever said that? And what about Ewoks? I am sorry but your ramblings make no sense at all to me and nothing really to do with anything I said especially since I never mentioned SW weekends nor was I able to make it since they cancelled them when I was finally able to go during that time.

DHS has been pathetic for a long time now. AK at least didn't cut down on rides and shows they did in DHS. My point was Star Wars could have been a better focus to do first. I personally do not see Pandora as Disney at all and find it silly to even bother with especially since they push the dates back more and more... the new movies (if they come) will not be out for years. Poor timing and planning. Disney banks too much on their history and name sometimes. While we will look in a few weeks, I am not OMG excited. I hated the movie but the family wants to look at it so we will,

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Bananas.

Only because this thread has got everything else in it now.

minion-bananas-blank-template-.jpeg

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
*Universal opens yet another mediocre, samey screen attraction with no substance or depth but you sure do get shaken in front of a 3D screen, water sprays on you, and there's a simulated fall* = "See but everything works!! Unlike the YETI. This is why Universal is SO much better than Disney now."

- this forum

That's so much worse than yet another water raft ride, and a Soarin 2.0. Hey, maybe we can ride Frozen - nope broken down. PotC - nope, broken. Space Mountain! Nope, broken. Test Track! Nope, raining. 7DMT! Nope, 200 minute wait.

I guess I'll shove a cupcake in my mouth, best over priced day old cupcake ever!

Now excuse me while I waste an FP+ on IaSW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom