Do you get the feeling universal is one step ahead of Disney

raven

Pandora took so long because over half that time was spent in the development stages because there was so much dispute over what it should be, the scope, etc. Gringotts had just as many issues when it was new, as do most new, high tech rides.
Hasn't the flight of the banshee ride broken down several times already? CMs and vloggers have been reporting that. Seems that 6 years wasn't enough to work out the kinks I guess. Then again, it's an attraction at DAK ;)

Tom Morrow

Hasn't the flight of the banshee ride broken down several times already? CMs and vloggers have been reporting that. Seems that 6 years wasn't enough to work out the kinks I guess. Then again, it's an attraction at DAK ;)
The ride system itself was not under development for that long.

As far as breakdowns, see also: Gringotts, Kong, Forbidden Journey, every new ride system ever

Ignoring the yeti itself, Everest is one of the most reliable rides at WDW with very low downtime.

disney4life2008

Pandora took so long because over half that time was spent in the development stages because there was so much dispute over what it should be, the scope, etc. Gringotts had just as many issues when it was new, as do most new, high tech rides.

What is high tech about pandora? Plants that glow is not and they certainly had a horrible time with the concept at rivers of light? Maybe the Shaman? OK yes, but that took 7 years?

disney4life2008

As far as breakdowns, see also: Gringotts, Kong, Forbidden Journey, every new ride system ever

Ignoring the yeti itself, Everest is one of the most reliable rides at WDW with very low downtime.

I have done ioa and universal coasters, everest is number 1 for me.

pilka214

Universal stepped their game this past decade with the introduction of Harry Potter and some other real enhancements around their parks and resort complex as a whole. But, they were dealing with a product that already had room for improvement, and a much smaller phsyical entity than it's main competitor down the road. Disney is actively maintaining and expanding 4 theme parks and over 20 different resort options. So while Harry Potter definitely set a new bar for what we expect, it seems Disney is taking it head on with Pandora and Star Wars. Another quick point is look at what disney just did with Disney Springs, now while not as exciting as a new theme park land, that was a huge project and really seems to be pulling in crowds.

correcaminos

Honestly I don't care about disputes, it's rather silly to have it out so far after when it was such a polarizing film. I am a Disney dan but their reactive ways in addition to slow building is getting old. It seems every new rude is slow to create and suffers frequent breakdowns.

Mickey5150

One of the things they are WAAAYY ahead of disney in is interactivity. The potter wands, tapu tapu at VB, and what the plans are for nintendo are its strong points.
Potter's complete submersion is way ahead of what disney has RIGHT NOW... pandora and star wars will catch them up. Disney is paying the price for its international focus locally... I like both parks though for different reasons. Disney is WAY ahead of universal in hotels. Disney is way ahead of universal with animated i.p.'s. Universal has the advantage of having city walk and great dining a footstep outside of their parks vs. disney springs... though disney springs LOOKS nicer. there are WAY more examples to review, but in short... NO.. universal is NOT a step ahead.. what they are doing is catching up in hyper drive. The plans for a third gate... getting a hold of dreamworks AND illumination animation studios... The concerts at universal are WAY better... Halloween Horror nights... its all headed in the right direction. Screen-based rides.. especially at universal studios orlando is definitely a controversial topic.. not so much at islands of adventure... but we will see how that plays out.
I'd say Epcot has better submersion than Potter. At least when I'm in Morocco I'm being helped by a real Moroccan. I'm guessing everyone working in the Wizarding World are nothing but muggles. On a real note I still feel Harambe village in Africa is one of the greatest showings of submersion in a theme park land.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Honestly I don't care about disputes, it's rather silly to have it out so far after when it was such a polarizing film. I am a Disney dan but their reactive ways in addition to slow building is getting old. It seems every new rude is slow to create and suffers frequent breakdowns.

It's because Disney is Cheap, don't want to pay for real construction and they use sub standard materials in the new rides which simply don't last.

There is a difference between a 1 dollar Chinese bearing in an AA and a 10 dollar US, German or Japanese bearing the Chinese one will last a year or two, the others will last decades but all the Accountaneers see is the price.

correcaminos

It's because Disney is Cheap, don't want to pay for real construction and they use sub standard materials in the new rides which simply don't last.

There is a difference between a 1 dollar Chinese bearing in an AA and a 10 dollar US, German or Japanese bearing the Chinese one will last a year or two, the others will last decades but all the Accountaneers see is the price.
That's a fault with many companies but I won't dispute it. Disney can do things on the cheap, but what baffles me is other times they do it, and do it right. I wish they could get it right all the time. Like the rumors of FoP overheating already. Ugh... remember 7DMT and the delays? FEA is riddled with shut downs. They need someone to get behind these dreams and agree to do it right and quality.

The point is with the Tapu Tapu you don't NEED a smartphone, it will remind you of your event itself
With yet another gaudy massive band that will not fit small wrists well and STILL likely lack a watch. Hate that. At least MB2 are now better in that I don't have to wear the darn things.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

I don't think the yeti should be ignored, it's part of the experience. If it isn't working as it was when the ride opened, the ride is broken.

correcaminos

I don't think the yeti should be ignored, it's part of the experience. If it isn't working as it was when the ride opened, the ride is broken.
I wouldn't agree that the ride itself is broken, because it still works and runs. The effect is broken and it's a shame because it was so cool. The current part really just isn't the same though, but I still think Everest is a fantastic ride otherwise.

However I wouldn't ignore that it doesn't work as originally done as well. That was a massive Disney fail on their part to never fix it.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I wouldn't agree that the ride itself is broken, because it still works and runs. The effect is broken and it's a shame because it was so cool. The current part really just isn't the same though, but I still think Everest is a fantastic ride otherwise.

However I wouldn't ignore that it doesn't work as originally done as well. That was a massive Disney fail on their part to never fix it.

It seems to be a shining example of how they don't care about maintenance, that's why I think it should be considered. If they cared about the guest experience, they would have fixed it.

On the bright side the line to ride it is rarely long anymore.

correcaminos

It seems to be a shining example of how they don't care about maintenance, that's why I think it should be considered. If they cared about the guest experience, they would have fixed it.

On the bright side the line to ride it is rarely long anymore.
I agree it should be considered, though I don't think it is maintenance that was the issue. I think it was just poor build and poor fix of the effect itself.

I don't know that the line isn't long for it though. At least no difference since the Yeti broke. Still a favorite because as a coaster (effects aside) it is a good one.

MickeyMomV

What is high tech about pandora? Plants that glow is not and they certainly had a horrible time with the concept at rivers of light? Maybe the Shaman? OK yes, but that took 7 years?
Not sure where the 7 years is coming from? Disney announced the partnership in Sept of 2011 with plans to build "Pandora". Construction started in Jan of 2014 and the ride is set to open this month. So we are at about the 5.5 year mark since the announcement but just over 3 years of actual construction time. If you are strictly looking at construction time Pandora will only have taken about 6 months more than either of the WWoHP sections.

I think where the issue with Pandora comes in is that Disney announced it way to early for something they did not own the rights to. It took 28 months to start construction which I will fully agree was too long. At least with Star Wars they purchased the rights first. So when they announced the "land" they were able to start construction almost immediately.

Goofyernmost

In terms of theming and immersion, WWoHP is the only time Universal has ever exceeded Disney. Any other time, Universal goes 3/4ths of the way to greatness... or slaps together some tired BS like Fallon. Or builds the same ride twice (Kong and F&F)

Before you jump down my throat, I equally criticize and praise both resorts.
You left out Spiderman! I love that ride, but, the only difference in any of them are the characters. Everything else might even be the same script and story line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom