Do you drive or take the Disney bus to parks?

Tinkyroo

Original Poster
We stay on property and take the buses to the parks. It always seems to take quiet a while to wait in line and catch a bus though. I am now thinking about us driving ourselves to the parks each day. I know parking would be free. I was wondering how many people do that. Is it a time saver? Any pros or cons to doing this? The only cons I can think of is that our minivan is not as "magical" or as fun as the Disney buses and that we might get lost especially at night.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thank You! :)

Tinkyroo

Original Poster
We stay on property and take the buses to the parks. It always seems to take quiet a while to wait in line and catch a bus though. I am now thinking about us driving ourselves to the parks each day. I know parking would be free. I was wondering how many people do that. Is it a time saver? Any pros or cons to doing this? The only cons I can think of is that our minivan is not as "magical" or as fun as the Disney buses and that we might get lost especially at night.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thank You! :)

Sorry I am a bit tired - *quite*. I normally spell better when it's not almost 2 am! :):lookaroun:snore:

pilka214

For me and my family it really depends on the resort. We're DVC and we stay at saratoga which has like 5 bus stops in the resort so when leaving or coming back you have to stop like 3 or 4 times before u even leave. So during our stays there we drive. However when we stay at a resort with fewer bus stop like boardwalk we'll normally take the bus to the parks. Personally it doesn't phase me too much, because a majority of trips to the parks are day trips from home... so cars are the norm.

eddiemcgarrigle

I've been to WDW more than a few times but next year will be the first time we'll be staying on property (decided to splash out and immerse our young son in 24 hour Disney magic at the French Quarter).

I'm not keen on standing in any more queues than is necessary so the buses are out. Due to the proximity of Port Orleans to Epcot, we'll be purchasing an AAA pass from ebay and parking up there. Hopefully we can be so close to the monorail as to avoid having to wait for the tram, hop on a quiet monorail carriage and head for the Magic Kingdom.

Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios will be accessed via the car we'll be hiring and again, with use of the AAA pass, hopefully we can get close enough to the entrances to avoid the tram rush and enter the parks nice and relaxed.

DisneyFanLS

We always rent a car when we go to WDW....We ALWAYS stay on property, but like the convenience of having a car to go off property for shopping, etc. PLUS when you have the parking pass from the Disney hotel where you are staying, the parks DO NOT charge for parking :sohappy: :sohappy: Our opinion is that it's just better than taking the buses to the parks. No waiting for bus (going and coming) and no stops in between destinations. Just a thought....:rolleyes:

sueuk

We've found that it depends on which park, and whether we want to go to DTD/ minigolf or a different resort restaurant while we're out. If we're hopping about the World we go by car, but if it's straight to a park we take the bus, boat, walk etc. Sometimes, it can take longer by car, especially MK, as you go to the car park, wait for a tram - TTC, wait for the monorail or boat - park entrance. It also depends where we stay, some resorts are very near parks, and some only have one bus stop for the resort. It's different for everyone.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We drive down and we have done it both ways. To satisfy my own sick curiosity on which was better I timed all of my trips too and from the parks for about a year. For the most part we have found when you start the clock when you close your room door until you get to the turnstiles that travel times to Epcot, AK and DHS to be about a wash between driving and the bus, MK would generally favor the buses and driving was almost always better going to DTD.

WishIwasThere

For us, we have stayed on Disney property and depending on where we stay determines if we drive to the park. When we stayed at the CR, we simply took the monorail to Epcot or MK, but drove to DHS or AK. For when we stayed at WL, they have the boat that goes to MK, so that is a no brainer. The last time we stayed at WDW, we were at the CBR and drove the car to all parks. We had a AAA pass which allows parking up close to the enterance which is really nice. My DW hates the busses due to her multiple bad experiences with them.

Case in point...the last time we were there I was in Orlando at another offsite resort at a conference. I was going to meet the family at the MK for the night. Called the DW when I was leaving the conference and she said she was at the CBR bus stop waiting for the bus and she would meet me a the front of the MK. I got in my car, drove to WDW property, parked at the MK parking lot (AAA parking area), walked to the TTC, hopped on the monorail, got to the enterence of the park, called the DW...She was still waiting for a bus. One came and it was full. Bus driver said one will be along shortly...that was twenty minutes ago.

Needless to say...driving from offsite...I beat my wife and kids to the park by more than 30 minutes. From that point on, my wife refuses to take the busses.

jonnyc

We usually rent a car, drive to the waterparks and Universal/IOA, but use the buses for the WDW parks and DTD.

DisneyPrincess5

Although we rent a car, we only use it for going to Publix, Universal for a day, and to have a tad more freedom if we wish.
We always take Disney's transportation...especially the monorail!!!

When I stay at a resort we would take the bus to the parks but we usually stayed at the boardwalk so we walked to Hollywood Studios and EPCOT....we took the bus to the other parks but the only park we would drive to ourselves was the water parks

Jaytrod

I drive to WDW and don't have to fly so its not like I have to rent a car or anything, but for a long time I always rode the bus. Recently, for the last 4 times or so, I have driven my car and I think I will continue doing so from now on. I know it is one of the reasons to stay on site, but the long lines and wait times just got old after awhile. I do still use the boats if I stay at swan or dolphin though.

cblodg

Recently, we've been doing the stay off site the day of our arrival and the night before. We rent a car to get from the airport to the hotel(s) and then leave it parked in the parking lot, unless we want to go shopping off site.

My father prefers the buses as "I'm on vacation and don't want to drive everywhere. I did that for many years, now someone else can drive me around" as he likes to say. We alot the extra time needed for ADRs. The bus/boat/monorail system works just fine as long as you add in travel time, IF you are not already at the park you need to be in.

For instance. On our last trip, we had an ADR for 50s Prime Time and started our day in MK. Our ADR wasn't until 4:30, but we left MK around 3:00, took the Monorail to the TTC and picked up a bus to DHS. We arrived at DHS right around 3:45. We had plenty of time to even go on TGM.

It's all in how you plan your trips. Our very first trip down we stayed off site and had to drive. Waiting for the trams was not fun after a long day in the parks. Granted, you get a fairly long wait at the bus stops too, but it all works out to what your preference is.

SewIn2Disney

It depends. When I go with my family, we always drive to FL, so we have a car. Usually we'll drive it to the parks, just because its easier, especially trying to get out at night when the bus line can be 3-4 bus fulls long. Also, you can leave a change of clothes, a sweatshirt, etc, in your car and if you REALLY need it, can run back out and get it. Plus, at the end of the day, you are guaranteed a seat for your ride home.

Also, we tend to make a lot of dining reservations at hotels, rather than in the parks. Its just simpler to drive yourself to a hotel rather then having to go to a park then transfer to the hotel and then do the same in reverse when you are done.

But - for DTD, we always take the bus. There is never any car parking there, so the bus it is. MK is up in the air - sometimes we take the bus, sometimes we drive, but that's just because we enjoy taking the monorail/ferry into the MK. There's just something about the ride over - especially on your first day.

RiversideBunny

We drive down and we have done it both ways. To satisfy my own sick curiosity on which was better I timed all of my trips too and from the parks for about a year. For the most part we have found when you start the clock when you close your room door until you get to the turnstiles that travel times to Epcot, AK and DHS to be about a wash between driving and the bus, MK would generally favor the buses and driving was almost always better going to DTD.

Thanks. That's a very good study in the times. Since it was done over a period of time, rather than for just one visit, the accuracy should be good.

There's another factor that makes the Disney transportation better to me than trying to drive your own car. Using Disney transportion seems to keep you in the 'magic' whereas arriving in your own car subjects you to seeing the back side of things like parking lot entrances. IMHO.
:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom