do what you do best - A little help please guys!

Missin_Disney

I'm planning a surprise honeymoon for my wife to be in October 2009 and need a little advice about where to stay.

The plan is to arrive 12th or 13th October 2009 and spend 7 days in the World.

Now the important bit.

I am looking to stay at either Wilderness Lodge (we've stayed there before and loved it) AKL, Yacht & Beach or maybe Swan & Dolphin (although i've read reviews saying it lacks the 'disney' touch)
I have read a lot of reviews already and all have good points, but i just want it to be perfect.

Which would you guys recommend for:

Theming
Transport (as we wont be having a car)
Room Size
Pool / beach (want to relax a bit too)
Best for a bit of romance

Is there a chance of getting an upgraded room if we mention at the time we check in that we are on our honeymoon? (the wedding will have drained the finances quite a bit by then)

Also are there any US public holidays in October that would make the parks really busy.

And finally, as we plan to eat at all the places we havent eaten before is the Dining plan (counter service and 'standard') worth the money??

Sorry its so much but i know all you disney 'nuts' love sharing your advice and experience :ROFLOL:;)

Thanks in advance

I'm definitely a "nut" but hardly an expert, and yet I feel compelled to give my two cents!

I have stayed at both the Beach Club and the Wilderness Lodge, and love them both. For a honeymoon, however, I'd choose the Beach Club. Its theming is more romantic, and you can watch Illuminations every night if you want to. There are good restaurants, plus the boardwalk is a short walk away. The rooms are lovely and recently redecorated.

Also, there are a couple of hot tubs tucked away near the pool; they are gorgeous and somewhat private.

You can walk to Epcot in about 5 minutes and take a short boat ride to the Studios, so two parks are in very easy reach. Magic Kingdom is more easily accessible from the WL, but I've always found Epcot to be the most romantic, plus you could try a dinner or two in World Showcase.

As for a room upgrade, you can certainly ask. When you make your reservation, note that it is your honeymoon. When my DH and I honeymooned at WDW years ago, we had something special in our room every night, from a bottle of champagne to chocolate-covered strawberries. It was lovely.

AKL is really cool, but there is a lingering "zoo" odor that I find distracting, so I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic retreat--better for when you bring kids someday! And for the Swan and Dolphin, my sister has stayed at the Swan and said that the walls were paper thin (not great on a honeymoon, obviously!)
Most of all: Congratulations on your engagement--you can't go wrong at any Disney resort!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Another vote for the Beach Club here :wave:

It's within steps of EPCOT, a boat ride of DHS and the sand-bottom pool is awesome!

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

I'm going to suggest something that is not in your list.
You said money might be tight due to the wedding.

There's a romantic resort that is in the Moderate category and would not be so expensive- Port Orleans Riverside.

Beautiful, romatic place.

Good luck.
:king::king:

Upvote 0

pacochran

Though not for Romantic reasons we have stayed at both the AKL and the Beach Club.

AKL is nice, sitting up in the morning and having a cup of coffee on the balcony watching the animals is kind of nice. We never had an animal smell and my DW is really sensitive about that type of thing. I didn't think the pool was anything special, and it is a distance from many things.

Now Beach Club is really nice. To me it would be considered romantic. It has a great location convenient to Epcot and DHS. It's nice to stroll over to Epcot, or even the Boardwalk at night is nice. A boat ride to DHS is also nice or you can take a leisurely walk along the path to the Studios. The pool is great, and it is so big there are some areas that are a little more secluded so you can get away from the kids and crowds if you like. Right on site in the Yatchsman steakhouse which is a really nice upscale restaurant.

Over all I would say the Beach Club.

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
For a unique experience, I'd go with AKL. The savannah outside the door of the hotel (even if it isn't outside the balcony of your room) is really amazing.

But for a honeymoon, the Beach Club would be my choice. Relaxing, romantic (as much as it gets with families/kids running around), and the best pool complex at WDW.

As for an upgrade, it never hurts to ask. Certainly tell them it is your honeymoon when you make the reservation and at every opportunity thereafter.

For dining, IF you plan to eat at least one table-service meal each day, I would go for the standard dining plan. Almost any nice table-service meal is going to be almost the daily cost of the plan on its own.

Upvote 0
We never had an animal smell and my DW is really sensitive about that type of thing. .

I guess we were there on an "off" night; we stayed only one night due to a flight cancellation. We loved the resort and loved Boma (!), but all of us were put-off by a zoo smell that permeated the entire place, from hallways right into our room. (And i have a high tolerance to animal smells, due to three large mutts in my house--and I don't include my DH!). Anyway, I hope it was just an aberration, b/c the hotel was spectacular!

Upvote 0

TinkSassy

I would advise against the Swan and Dolphin for a romantic weekend. They are nice hotels and I've stayed there for conferences, but the other hotels are much more Disney "magic". These do feel like hotels for business travelers.

Upvote 0

krankenstein

I guess we were there on an "off" night; we stayed only one night due to a flight cancellation. We loved the resort and loved Boma (!), but all of us were put-off by a zoo smell that permeated the entire place, from hallways right into our room. (And i have a high tolerance to animal smells, due to three large mutts in my house--and I don't include my DH!). Anyway, I hope it was just an aberration, b/c the hotel was spectacular!

We just returned from a 3 night stay in a savanna room, I never expereinced an animal smell at all. As a matter of fact, one of our comments on the first day was the lack of a smell. :shrug:

To the OP, I absolutely love AKL, but it is a bit of a ride to anything. For a honeymoon I recommend Wilderness Lodge. It has the same feel as AKL, without the distance to the parks. I like the Beach Club, but it isn't me. You might absoutely love the place, but I am more of a AKL, WL, or Poly person.

As far as holidays, many schools in the south are now getting a fall break in October. I also noticed an increase in UK visitors this October. I understand they have a few weeks off from school, so you might want to take that into consideration.

Upvote 0

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
If you want the Dining Plan, you can't stay at the swan and dolphin. You can't get the dining package there :(.

I like the swan and dolphin (the swan the best) because it is a boat ride away from the back entrance to Epcot. I absolutly love that. We have always had a room with a few of Epcot and Tower Of Terror. It was so pretty. The beds are comfy too. As far a theming, there really isn't any. But if you get a view of Epcot and TOT IMO it can't get better than that!

This hotel is used for a lot of conferences...etc, but I really like the rooms and the view. Plus there doesn't seem to be a great deal of kids around... that I have ever noticed anyways, although, I always have mine with me. My only complaint is it seems to take forever for the MK bus to show up. I believe you can take the boats to Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios as well, but I can't remember.

Upvote 0
If you want the Dining Plan, you can't stay at the swan and dolphin. You can't get the dining package there :(.

I like the swan and dolphin (the swan the best) because it is a boat ride away from the back entrance to Epcot. I absolutly love that. We have always had a room with a few of Epcot and Tower Of Terror. It was so pretty. The beds are comfy too. As far a theming, there really isn't any. But if you get a view of Epcot and TOT IMO it can't get better than that!

This hotel is used for a lot of conferences...etc, but I really like the rooms and the view. Plus there doesn't seem to be a great deal of kids around... that I have ever noticed anyways, although, I always have mine with me. My only complaint is it seems to take forever for the MK bus to show up. I believe you can take the boats to Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios as well, but I can't remember.

I agree with you that the Swan is the better, less crowded of the Swan and Dolphin area. There are indeed far less kids and the views are amazing. We have also stayed at the Beach Club prior to the recent renovation and although nice was showing its age and was far louder than the Swan, which I found to be more comfortable than the Beach Club.

Swan has better views of the parks, nice beds, is more quiet and is more attentive to special requests by the customer, it does lack that special Disney touch as others have mentioned. I have only seen pictures of the renovated rooms at BC and they look wonderful, comparable to the Swan. This is just based on my past experiences at the resorts had a wonderful stay at both.

Another thing boat service is available to DHS and Epcot only. MK and AK are buses. You can walk to both Epcot and DHS. The Swan is typically cheaper and if you are a government employee, nurse, or teacher you get a discount. The main draw back no Dining Plan. Good Luck!

Upvote 0
One more thing, as far as the upgraded room if you join the Starwood Preferred Guests Program at the Swan they automatically upgrade your room for no cost if there is a nicer room available. The program is free and you can gain points towards future stays.

Upvote 0

justducky78

I recommend either the Yacht/Beach club or the Wilderness, leaning towards the Y&B Club.

Best theming = WL or Y&B
Best Transport = WL (boat to MK) or Y&B (boat or walk to Studios or Epcot)
Room size = Y&B (WL too small)
Pool/Beach - Y&B (main pool is nice and quiet pools are always "quiet")
Romance - Y&B (walk to boardwalk, walk/boat to Epcot, romantic beach)

We've stayed at all except AKL. I like the restaurants at AKL but will never stay there simply because it's too far from everything. We like proximity to parks, etc.

Our favorite (and where we stayed when we got engaged) is the Yacht Club. Very romantic walking along pathways - back from Epcot - to Boardwalk, etc. Get some gelato or have a nice dinner in Epcot, watch the fireworks, then head to the Boardwalk to the piano bar.

Swan & Dolphin has a great price and location but a farther walk/boat to Epcot and it's very "convention-like" so it takes away from the "Disney-feel" that we love so much. Almost TOO big of a hotel.

WL can be romantic at night, too, but it seems like we notice the kids running around more and it can sometimes be a bummer having to wait for the boat. I do like the Artist Point restaurant A LOT. We seemed to get stuck at times (transport) because boats shut down when the parks do, so if you're having a nice dinner at the contemporary and the boats close down -- you have to get a taxi or walk back. Kind of kills the romance - LOL.

Good luck with your decision but I vote for the Yacht Club (or Beach Club)! Have a nice honeymoon...

Upvote 0

Missin_Disney

Original Poster
WOW what a fantastic response, thanks so much guys, you have given me more than enough information to go on.

I think im leaning towards the Y & B, as i mentioned we had a wonderful time at WL when we stayed there for 4 days 2 years ago and thought it would be nice to stay somewhere else.

Thanks again........i'll get planning.

Upvote 0

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
WOW what a fantastic response, thanks so much guys, you have given me more than enough information to go on.

I think im leaning towards the Y & B, as i mentioned we had a wonderful time at WL when we stayed there for 4 days 2 years ago and thought it would be nice to stay somewhere else.

Thanks again........i'll get planning.

:wave: Keep us in 'the loop'

Upvote 0

Missin_Disney

Original Poster
It's booked!!

Thanks so much to all of you.

Have just booked 7 nights at the Yacht Club with 7 day passes for us both with the DDP. :sohappy:

God i cant wait, how on earth am i going to keep this a secret for the next year!!!! :ROFLOL::shrug:

Thanks again everybody

Upvote 0

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Thanks so much to all of you.

Have just booked 7 nights at the Yacht Club with 7 day passes for us both with the DDP. :sohappy:

God i cant wait, how on earth am i going to keep this a secret for the next year!!!! :ROFLOL::shrug:

Thanks again everybody

Make sure you make your dining ressies at 180 days to ensure the restaurants you want - congrats!! :wave:

Upvote 0

Whimsy

I know you already booked your vacation - but here's my two cents anyways! :p Definitely Yacht and Beach Club, but now I'm gonna get nit-picky. I would pick Beach Club over Yacht Club for a honeymoon planned for a wife. Beach Club is a lot more "cuter" and feminine and and I've gone to both Yacht and Beach, Yacht first and the wife definitely liked Beach better as Yacht was too manly. Yacht Club is a lot more darker and intimate, but the rooms are adorned in nautical blues and whites, where as Beach is more pinks, yellows, and greens. Once again, I know this is really nit-picky but just wanted to let you know! Regardless, Y&B is a great choice because of its romantic waters, boat rides, an amazing Boardwalk across the way (especially ambient at night!), access to Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios, and bonus - the fireworks visible at night on the bridge. For restaurants, Cape May (a buffet) at Beach I hear is really good if you're into seafood, and then you have the more upscale Yachtsman's Steakhouse. Beaches and Cream ice cream is also a very fun, retro place to get your favorite desserts! Oh and I've heard stories where you mention on the phone during booking that it's your honeymoon, they sometimes give you some treats in your room at check-in. I've also seen the Bride and Groom Mickey/Minnie hats.

Upvote 0

lwalker8

Beach Club would be great. Don't forget to go over to the Boardwalk at night, it's beautiful. Also make use of that proximity to World Showcase often. There are great places to eat, especially Canada, France, Mexico, China and Morocco in my opinion anyway. Lots of fun stuff. The crowds will be light that time of year and Epcot is always makes you feel less crowded in by others because of how wide the paths are.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom