Do they sweat?

RickyMouseMom

Original Poster
As we gear up for our annual August trip, I had a thought...
When watching some of the performers in the parades, specifically the dancers during the 3:00 parade at Magic Kindgom and various other street performers, I have noticed they sweat very little. All I have to do is walk 10 feet down Main street in August and I am drenched. I am amazed that the performers are dressed head-to-toe in costumes, and their makeup is perfect and are not sweating at all (at least not on their face).

We have a few hypotheses how this can be..

I think the performers wear special makeup and the clothes are heavy enough that it doesnt show through.

My mother thinks Disney makes the performers remove their sweat glands all in the name of perfection. (Just kidding of course :lookaroun)

My husband has no opinion. He thinks I am crazy for noticing.

My son thinks it is because the performers are magical and are never uncomfortable.

Ok. So who is right?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
As a former parade performer, I can say it... we sweat. Like crazy.

Our bodies adapt though, and you usually can't get a close enough glance to us to see our sweat. Plus, we're wearing basics (light clothes, t-shirts and shorts, specifically for catching our sweat) underneath our costumes, that function to keep what you see clean.

cmcmcm

Sweat is a way of life. Performers never are really close enough to the audience to for them to see the beads of sweat rolling down their faces, backs, legs, noses...everything. Clothes are worn underneath the clothes that are seen by guests to absorb body sweat on the chest, under the arms, and back.

WDWKat26

No offense, but you're crazy if you think they don't sweat. 95 degrees plus full humidity and sometimes heavy clothing...sweating is GOING to happen.

LoriMistress

Like the other posters have said previously....the CMs were light clothing under their costumes to catch the majority of the sweat, plus after working in Florida, I'm sure they adapt to the weather.

RnRJoe6114

Like the other posters have said previously....the CMs were light clothing under their costumes to catch the majority of the sweat, plus after working in Florida, I'm sure they adapt to the weather.

You may adapt to the feeling of being hot and sweaty...but you still definitely do...no matter how long you live here...woo Florida :dazzle:

CAPTAIN HOOK

My mother thinks Disney makes the performers remove their sweat glands all in the name of perfection. (Just kidding of course :lookaroun)

Your mother is correct - Disney is involved in a breeding program producing a superior race of human being - they don't sweat, they don't curse and they're always smiling and happy :D

jonnyc

We were talking to a guy who from England who had been working in Florida for about 15 years and he said he still hadn't adapted to the weather.

kingslyZISSOU

I have a great respect for Disney performers. (I know I mention this alot, oh well) Whenever I sing at candle light, It can be almost as physically demanding as football practice. Think I'm kidding? next time you watch, look for people being carted off stage when the main lights dim.

People pass out at every show. Those lights are extremely hot, your standing in a crowd of hot people in robes that smell like old people, your stressing out because you can't remember the real words to the German song (and don't want to get in trouble), your holding a candle perfectly still (while sweat is slowly dripping down your face and back), your trying not to lock your knees, and theres a thousand people watching you. Oh, and theres a celebrity standing 15 feet from you. Its one of the most uncomfortable things I have ever endured. but why do we do it? free Disney tickets of course (and if your a nerd like me, a chance to peak around the backstage of world showcase). Heck, thats why I joined choir in the first place.

When at Disney, i never really stick around to watch the parades (unless its Christmas, or i'm with family), but I do appreciate the performers.

Harry456

i always wondered that myself. i always see the parades and i never see the performers sweat.

I performed, with my High School band, in a parade in Magic Kingdom. (IT WAS AWESOME, by the way.) We had full band uniform on and it was a typical May weather. After the parade was done, my under clothes was fully drench and i had to change outfits. Then we went on Splash Mountain to cool off (we have fastpasses...:p)

so i have a lot of pity for the parade performers during the Summer months. (including August)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom