Do the fans always seem to know what's best?

Disone

Good lord no! I’d hedge a bet that no one this board has ever ran a multi billion dollar company
Well, considering the population of the people who have run a multibillion-dollar company, the odds are certainly in your favor of winning that bet.

Lilofan

Well, considering the population of the people who have run a multibillion-dollar company, the odds are certainly in your favor of winning that bet.
But some seem to complain about things how things are run and continue to keep visiting...

mharrington

Original Poster
In the Snow White thread, a few people here have denounced "average guests", the main target audience, as idiots for liking the newer version than the older version with the Witch everywhere you look.

lazyboy97o

In the Snow White thread, a few people here have denounced "average guests", the main target audience, as idiots for liking the newer version than the older version with the Witch everywhere you look.
I‘m the one who used the terms “average guests” and idiots. I put “average guest” in scare quotes because I was talking figuratively about a non-existent group, not literally about a real group. People use the phrase “average guest” as an attempt to justify anything and try to shut down criticism.

mharrington

Original Poster
I‘m the one who used the terms “average guests” and idiots. I put “average guest” in scare quotes because I was talking figuratively about a non-existent group, not literally about a real group. People use the phrase “average guest” as an attempt to justify anything and try to shut down criticism.
Well, frankly, I took that as another example of fans allegedly knowing best. Frankly, also, constant criticism is getting tiresome.

Magical Maddie

Fans knowing what is best for Disney. Ha! I don't even have enough business sense in my left little toe and within 10 minutes and probably even less than that I would start sinking the company. I am only 14 years old, but even if I was 55 years old I wouldn't understand all it took to run something big like that. As a Disney fan what I think when I think about WDW and being there is having a total blast. That is all that is on my mind for whatever the amount of days I am fortunate enough to be there because my parents took me. So it is a big "you know what" NO.

mharrington

Original Poster
Then why on earth, would you fuel the flame by opening this thread?

Was the whole point of this thread just to put people down?

Actually, the point was to see why they think they know better than anyone else, including Chapek, and if the parks should put the fans first and everyone else, including the public, second.

A few people here point out that the fans may not know how to run the company, and that some fans don't seem to realize that the parks need to make money. They are a business after all, whether we like it or not.

And frankly, it wouldn't hurt if there was more positivity on this site once in a while. As Simba once said, "Sometimes, bad things happen, and there's nothing you can do about it, so why worry?"

And then there's the absurdity of trying to get Bob Chapek fired just with a petition that probably won't make much headway beyond a few hundred thousand petitions. Do you realize what would take to get Chapek? A vote from the Board of Directors.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Do you have any proof that the ride is more popular with the average guest than the old one? What if they prefer the older one, wouldn't you be committing the great sin of disagreeing with the majority of guests that you accuse others of?

lazyboy97o

Actually, the point was to see why they think they know better than anyone else, including Chapek,
Bob Chapek had absolutely no prior experience running a fixed amusement before he was made Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. The same is true of Tom Staggs. Jay Rasulo had no prior experience before being put in charge of Euro Disney and openly detested being in the parks. Paul Pressler had no experience before being out in charge of Disneyland. Even Josh D’Amaro had no theme park operating experience before being put in charge of Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

John park hopper

Experience running a park does not enter into it, if they can make money by any means for the stockholders that's all the board of directors care about ---keep the stock prices up give the guests the bare minimum so thy keep coming

mharrington

Original Poster
Bob Chapek had absolutely no prior experience running a fixed amusement before he was made Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. The same is true of Tom Staggs. Jay Rasulo had no prior experience before being put in charge of Euro Disney and openly detested being in the parks. Paul Pressler had no experience before being out in charge of Disneyland. Even Josh D’Amaro had no theme park operating experience before being put in charge of Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

And yet the fans have all the prior experience in the world?

John park hopper

Do Disney executives actually visit the parks incognito and talk to guest, Do they spend a day at the parks when it is crowded and see what guest have to put up with, do they eat at the restaurants-- table service and QS and check service and food quality. Do they use Disney's IT apps and experience all the problems with it. My guess is they sit in their offices and underlings kiss their you know what and tell them everything is wonderfull. IMO fans know what they want Disney is not listening

Last edited:

John park hopper

Fans are not a uniform group put I 'm sure there are algorithms that can gauge overall fan likes and dislikes by their responses

Last edited:

WishIWasRetired

Do Disney executives actually visit the parks incognito and talk to guest, Do they spend a day at the parks when it is crowded and see what guest have to put up with, do they eat at the restaurants-- table service and QS and check service and food quality. Do they use Disney's IT apps and experience the all the problems with it. My guess i they sit in their offices and underlings kiss their you know what and tell them everything is wonderfull. IMO fans know what they want Disney is not listening
Someone should visit the parks because the last time I was there in 2020 I noticed allot of thing that seemed to need some upkeep and maintenance.

MickeyLuv'r

Actually, the point was to see why they think they know better than anyone else, including Chapek, and if the parks should put the fans first and everyone else, including the public, second.

A few people here point out that the fans may not know how to run the company, and that some fans don't seem to realize that the parks need to make money. They are a business after all, whether we like it or not.

And frankly, it wouldn't hurt if there was more positivity on this site once in a while. As Simba once said, "Sometimes, bad things happen, and there's nothing you can do about it, so why worry?"

And then there's the absurdity of trying to get Bob Chapek fired just with a petition that probably won't make much headway beyond a few hundred thousand petitions. Do you realize what would take to get Chapek? A vote from the Board of Directors.
It is called confirmation bias. If you have already decided that fans don't know how to run a business, there's no point in asking the question. You already made up your mind, and posted it "The problem isn't so much fans seeing something wrong with the parks, it's that [fans] seem to know what's going on better than management, and as such, they, the fans, should be the ones in charge." and just above you repeat the same sentiment, which I bolded.

And of course, there's the other big tell....hyperbole. You didn't ask if fans sometimes know better, you asked if fans always know better. If you simply wanted to know what we thought about the petition, you could have asked our opinion of it.

You go on to say you don't like negativity, but your own words bolded above are a put-down, and I dare-say, a very tired trope on these boards.

We ALL know WDW is a for-profit business!

SteveAZee

It is called confirmation bias. If you have already decided that fans don't know how to run a business, there's no point in asking the question. You already made up your mind, and posted it "The problem isn't so much fans seeing something wrong with the parks, it's that [fans] seem to know what's going on better than management, and as such, they, the fans, should be the ones in charge." and just above you repeat the same sentiment, which I bolded.

And of course, there's the other big tell....hyperbole. You didn't ask if fans sometimes know better, you asked if fans always know better. If you simply wanted to know what we thought about the petition, you could have asked our opinion of it.

You go on to say you don't like negativity, but your own words bolded above are a put-down, and I dare-say, a very tired trope on these boards.

We ALL know WDW is a for-profit business!
It's the OP's MO.

MickeyLuv'r

It's the OP's MO.
It happens a great deal on forums. I will give people the benefit of the doubt that in some cases they might not realize they are doing it, because it has become something of a national pastime: in politics, the media, social media, even our entertainment. (I'm looking at you late night television!) It has become so very normalized, even though obvious one-sidedness isn't healthy for any of us.

I take OP at his word that he'd like to see less negativity, but that means we each need to do our part. We'd all do well to take a step back from the daily onslaught.

sedati

Fans should always be seen in the singular, not the plural. Forums like these only give the illusion of a large group consensus. A diverse product will have diverse fans who approach and appreciate it in varied and conflicting ways. Speak only for yourself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom