DLR 3rd gate possibilities

Phroobar

I think the East idea has been raised from the dead! Too much money has been invested in that land! And now the Angeles baseball team are leaving! For those that don't realize the Amtrak trains run right behind the stadium parking lot! I would move most general parking here next to trains buses and freeway access! I see a hotel and water park! A long tunnel for Harbor boulevard. Then a fourth park like a Disney Studios. Take that small area in DCA that is kinda a studio area and make it more super hero area. Thats my 2 cents master plan

As for the Queen Mary last I heard she is rusting away faster than expected. Disney cruise line is coming to the west coast to do Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska with two ships. Disney wants that port next to the QM for Disney only! Long Beach said no. Disney said what if we help fix up the QM and the area take over operations and run it. Last I heard Long Beach is in negotiations but times running out on the QM before it needs to be repaired below the waterline (possible dry docking where it is as its no longer safe to move it!) I would love to see this happen for sake of the QM and Disney!
21aqbc.jpg

The Angels are NOT leaving, either they sign a new lease OR they play in Anaheim until 2029.

The 18.000 Parking Structure Spaces that feed right of the SB I-5 from LA are going nowhere..

The Queen Mary is getting a major refurb. Carnival Cruises just signed a long term lease expansion and has the exclusive for the Port of Long Beach.

Not sure where you are getting your info.

And since you are new, I have a very long term record.

One of my current roles is being a member of the Advisory Board of the Disneyland funded PAC, S.O.A.R.

Yes I am very new and Have not been to any of the parks in quite some time. The first paragraph is as I said what I would do IF the Angeles left. I thought I read their contract was done and they wanted a new stadium? https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-08-14/angels-have-a-third-option-in-their-stadium-search I would never expect them to move the parking structure regardless of the Angeles leaving. But if Disney did get that property making the east parking lot of the stadium the transportation hub would greatly benefit everyone even the convention center. From my recollection Disney started buying up the hotels and a church to the East. They had a few left to go and one of which absolutely said no way they would not move. To my understanding this stalled the plans. This was years ago like 2005-2007ish I think?

I was told by a Queen Mary employee late last year that Disney wanted to take over again. And was close to making a deal. This time completing what they started years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Disney I am very glad at least someone has and they will refurb her! I had no idea Carnival made the deal! I was told the current management company was constantly running the repairs way over budget. I thought one of the new ships was going to be dedicated to the west coast and I now see at least the first one the Wish will go to the East Coast again. :-(

My apologies if I made it sound like any of it was happening. I took the information I had from the Los Angeles Times and a Employee on the Queen Mary and tried to say what I would do and what my thoughts of what Disney is doing. You have a front row seat and even then Disney has gone all the way to pulling building permits and then nothing happens. We are all guessing and sometimes I think Disney is too. When they bought property in Florida look how sneaky they were then!

RollerCoaster

The Angels are NOT leaving, either they sign a new lease OR they play in Anaheim until 2029.

You can only say they're not leaving if they sign a new lease. If they don't sign a new lease then leaving remains a possibility.

The city agreed to a one-year lease extension that keeps the team playing through 2020 in January. The lease extension doesn't invalidate the existing lease that runs through 2029, but it also doesn't mean that the team has to stay either. They have three options on the table.

The Grand Inquisitor

You can only say they're not leaving if they sign a new lease. If they don't sign a new lease then leaving remains a possibility.

The city agreed to a one-year lease extension that keeps the team playing through 2020 in January. The lease extension doesn't invalidate the existing lease that runs through 2029, but it also doesn't mean that the team has to stay either. They have three options on the table.
If Disney does build a third park it should be a Fox themed park or a Disney Sea type park.

Darkbeer1

Let me rephrase the Angels situation

They currently have the lease through 2029.

There is a window to make a new lease that expires at the end of 2019.

Right now, there is nowhere for the team to move to, and the MLB basically won't approve a move, as having two LA area teams is important to its TV rights, both in North America and Internationally.

Of course, the window could be expanded if both sides agree.

The Angels want a new Stadium, or at least the current stadium upgraded. To make that happen, the team wants to develop the parking lot area to get enough money to build the new Stadium, similar to the recent Anaheim Ducks deal.

If a deal can't be made, then the Angels will play in the current stadium through 2029 while it explores other places to play, somewhere where they can promise a new Stadium for the 2030 season.

And then the city can look for alternative uses for the Stadium land. Maybe a developer that will build a large mixed use complex of retail, restaurants and housing, or maybe Disney would look into making an offer a decade from now.

But both the Mayor and the Angels know a deal has to be done this year, for many reasons, including scoring political points.

But if the Angels don't say they are not returning in 2020 by December 31st, the current lease is not breakable, due to major penalties if they do. So 10 more years of the team, or longer if a new deal is made.

GrizzlyAdams

Before a third gate is built or considered is it possibly Universal will find some land somewhere in Southern CA and build a second park eating up and creating theme park revenue like FL...while Disney execs focus on international markets

RollerCoaster

Let me rephrase the Angels situation

They currently have the lease through 2029.

Did you miss the fact that the team opted-out of their lease that ran through 2029 in October 2018, which effectively permits the team to leave after the 2019 season? The team separately negotiated a one-year lease for 2020. Leaving is very much still on the table.

RollerCoaster

Before a third gate is built or considered is it possibly Universal will find some land somewhere in Southern CA and build a second park eating up and creating theme park revenue like FL...while Disney execs focus on international markets

Orlando and Southern California are very different markets. The business model that Universal uses in Orlando doesn't really apply to Southern California. I don't see the point in Universal building a one-off, stand-alone theme park away from their namesake park in Hollywood.

socalifornian

There’s a giant golf course next to Universal. Both the studio and theme park could benefit from that land between the ~500 scripted shows being produced and rising attendance. While not all of those shows are made here, Hollywoods already been forced to use abandoned industrial buildings for years now because the traditional lots are generally at capacity. The dream would be both divisions splitting the costs in half, that’s just not reality.

Right now they’re focused on shifting stages away from the parks lower lot, and moving them to a different part of the studio. It made Nintendo possible for now, with other plans for behind Mummy

GrizzlyAdams

Orlando and Southern California are very different markets. The business model that Universal uses in Orlando doesn't really apply to Southern California. I don't see the point in Universal building a one-off, stand-alone theme park away from their namesake park in Hollywood.
They may be different markets (whatever that means, vacationers vs pass Holders, etc), but it doesn’t mean that So Ca couldn’t support and grow another theme park. So yes it’s possible that Universal could do it or Disney... millennials are the biggest generation in US history and they’re only starting to have kids... plus the nerd demographic in these generations and their love of entertainment, gaming and theme parks is only growing... as FL has proved. Meanwhile CA has only marginally attempted to capture that growth.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

>>In January, after the Angels had opted out of their Angel Stadium lease, the council reinstated the lease and extended the opt-out window. The reinstatement means the Angels can stay until 2029 even without a new deal, and the Angels’ ability to control that land until then could cost the city at least $100 million in market value, Moreno said.<<

RescueTheDay

S

>>In January, after the Angels had opted out of their Angel Stadium lease, the council reinstated the lease and extended the opt-out window. The reinstatement means the Angels can stay until 2029 even without a new deal, and the Angels’ ability to control that land until then could cost the city at least $100 million in market value, Moreno said.<<

Seems like a weak move by the city, by giving up all their negotiating power.

RescueTheDay

The city did not give up all their negotiating power. There is still enough pressure to make a deal by December 31st.

They gave up a great deal of it. They can pressure all they want, but the team is in no rush to make such a deal anymore. Just Anaheim being Anaheim...

The Grand Inquisitor

I wish Disney had built Westcot instead of California Adventure. My dream for a third gate would be a park that was half of Westcot's ideas that could feature IP like Tron and Figment while the other half of the park would be Fox where it could focus on Avatar, Night at the Museum, and other Fox IP like Ice Age or Alien.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom