DLR 3rd gate possibilities

RollerCoaster

The Eastern Gateway is still on the planning board.

The area is not that big. The planned Pummba Structure is smaller than the new Pixar Pals structure (But fairly close in amount of spaces).

It NEVER was to replace any other lot, just to add more spaces, that even with Pixar Pals opening, leaves the DLR still short of the amount of spaces needed for the parks (including the new, small Super Hero Land expansion), current Hotels, DtD and CM/employee parking. And that also counts Toy Story with the new Bullseye lot.

Still short after Pixar Pals? I'm not buying that.

The theme parks have operated for a nearly two decades with the 10,250 space Mickey & Friends parking structure and various surface lots. After Disney closed the Lion King surface lots they added the Toy Story surface lot on Harbor in 2010, which after a recent 455 space expansion now has 5,378 spaces. With the new 5,000 space Pixar Pals structure and the 455 new spaces in Toy Story the resort has effectively expanded their inventory of parking by 32%.

I don't care how great StarWars Galaxy's Edge is or was expected to be attendance was never going to increase by 32% with this expansion. Therefore you can't make a logical argument that Disney is still short of parking. On the absolute busiest day of the year there will never be enough. However you don't build for your busiest day, because then you'll have an excess of inventory and have invested too much in parking. I fully anticipate that attendance will grow at DCA at the same rate with or without Marvel Land. In other words, it's not going to have much of an impact.

The planned eastern gateway structure with 6,500 spaces at this point is clearly intended to be the permanent replacement for the Toy Story Lot. The city approved that lot with the intention that it would eventually be replaced. I previously shared stories of the original approvals which I believe were for 10 or 15 years.

Long term Disney will develop the property where the Toy Story lot operates today into something else. However, with the lack luster opening of Galaxy's Edge following that massive investment and I think the third theme park idea is absolutely dead.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

The theme parks have operated for a nearly two decades with the 10,250 space Mickey & Friends parking structure and various surface lots. After Disney closed the Lion King surface lots they added the Toy Story surface lot on Harbor in 2010, which after a recent 455 space expansion now has 5,378 spaces. With the new 5,000 space Pixar Pals structure and the 455 new spaces in Toy Story the resort has effectively expanded their inventory of parking by 32%.

I don't care how great StarWars Galaxy's Edge is or was expected to be attendance was never going to increase by 32% with this expansion. Therefore you can't make a logical argument that Disney is still short of parking. On the absolute busiest day of the year there will never be enough. However you don't build for your busiest day, because then you'll have an excess of inventory and have invested too much in parking. I fully anticipate that attendance will grow at DCA at the same rate with or without Marvel Land. In other words, it's not going to have much of an impact.

The planned eastern gateway structure with 6,500 spaces at this point is clearly intended to be the permanent replacement for the Toy Story Lot. The city approved that lot with the intention that it would eventually be replaced. I previously shared stories to the original approvals which I believe were for 10 or 15 years.

Long term Disney will develop the property where the Toy Story lot operates today into something else. However, with the lack luster opening of Galaxy's Edge following that massive investment and I think the third theme park idea is absolutely dead.
Except you're not taking into account any of the CM parking, and the potential shortfalls there. There are plenty of times throughout the entire year where CMs get shuffled off to various offsite parking so guests can park in CM lots. If you don't believe it, just ask any CM here and they can tell you how many times they get forced to park offsite. This is where a lot of the shortfalls are coming from, this is what is trying to be resolved by adding EGW Structure.

Tank Man

Original Poster

The planned eastern gateway structure with 6,500 spaces at this point is clearly intended to be the permanent replacement for the Toy Story Lot. The city approved that lot with the intention that it would eventually be replaced. I previously shared stories to the original approvals which I believe were for 10 or 15 years.

Wow,
That is a lot of info. So only the Toy Story lot will be replaced. Ok, I never knew how many they were planning on having replaced with the Eastern Gateway

Travel Junkie

Disneyland has been very short on spaces for years. It hasn't happened as much lately with Disneyland attendance soft, but it used to be a guarantee that at least one of if not both main lots were full and they were directing people to Gardenwalk and/or the Convention Center. This would occur several times per week.

Even with Pixar Pals they can't simply swap out Toy Story for the Eastern Gateway unless attendance declines or visitors change their arrival patterns. The two structures and Toy Story barely keep their head above water. I'm willing to bet come Halloween we will still lots closed due to being full constantly.

Darkbeer1

OK, what to say, and once again, what not to say.

Alas, as a member of the Disney funded S.O.A.R. PAC, we are the main liaison between the city of Anaheim and The Disneyland Resort. So I have access to current issues regarding parking, actual numbers, and future plans. All of which are subjects I can't discuss.

What I can discuss is what has happened and what is public knowledge.

So, let alone did Pixar Pals just open. The following has happened. The original DtD lot has now closed for good (so says Disney) Yes, some spaces might return, but it won't be used for DtD guest parking.

Simba has been converted to 100% guest parking, and is now the main DtD parking lot for guests.

The Katella CM Lot has been converted to 100% Guest use as the Bullseye lot. Toy Story/Bullseye (now the sole Oversized vehicle lot) is getting a Security Check Station.

Pummba remains a flex lot, usable for either CM or guest use. The Eastern Gateway property has been converted as the Manchester CM Lot. This use is just temporary. USCIS remains open, and the promised parking spaces in the lease remain open for their use.

The Eastern Gateway project is still on the drawing board. It consists of the Pummba Structure, which already has all the required city zoning/planning commission permits. the USCIS property, which lease is expiring soon, and can be converted to a second structure, if the city approves. Of course, the security check, new ticket booth area, new transit plaza and the Katella bridge are also in the plans, but also need the city's approval.

Disney has stated that the Ball CM Lot (Corner of Ball and Harbor) can be converted to a structure, once again, with city approval.

Simba can also be converted to a structure, as was planned if the 4th Hotel was built.

The PPH parking is a big mess, but currently it is a stand alone property, so they can't cross the property lines to do anything. Disney would love to merge that property into the Disneyland Resort Specific Plan, which would allow a lot of things, including moving the parking to the Simba lot.

But to the city, it looks at the entire resort, and the needs of not just guests, but also CM's, employees (DtD locations, plus others such as construction workers, companies that provide CM services, etc.) and some other minor categories. Disney MUST provide enough spaces to service the resort.

Plus it must minimize the traffic impacts to the city. If traffic backs up on city streets, Anaheim will dispatch APD officers to control traffic, AND bill TWDC a overtime rate (including benefits and overhead) to cover those expenses. Disney wrote an $11 Million Check to cover its APD bill last year.

If Disney wants anything from the city, such as the Eastern Gateway, a Toy Story Lot extension, etc., it NEEDS to be able to show the city it has its parking issues under control, or will after getting the permission to work/extend.

Also, the city still wants Disney to give up some of its spaces for Convention Center use. (This right come from the Mickey & Friends 1990's agreement).

I stand by my statement. And let me make it clear, when I make a post like that, it has been carefully written and worded.

Tank Man

Original Poster
A water park would be a waste of land and finances for DLR.
One thought is in Garden Grove, though Great Wolf Lodge is nearby. Could be interesting to watch how they compete.

But one issue about Water Parks, takes lots of Labor Hours, which is expensive in California.
Both true,
But I think they could make one (if they wanted) as Universal is trying to compete with them with Water Parks and even though Volcano Bay is new, it does not beet the two WDW water parks but I wonder if they could.

Darkbeer1

More than a few Water Parks nearby.

Knott's Soak City, a new one in Irvine, Raging Waters, SF Hurricane Harbor, LEGOLAND California, SeaWorld Aquatica.

Not sure if Disney wants to compete with that. How many NEW guests would it bring to the DLR?

Tank Man

Original Poster
More than a few Water Parks nearby.

Knott's Soak City, a new one in Irvine, Raging Waters, SF Hurricane Harbor, LEGOLAND California, SeaWorld Aquatica.

Not sure if Disney wants to compete with that. How many NEW guests would it bring to the DLR?
True again,
WDW is a bit more isolated and if you stay at WDW, your probably not going to move around much as it is huge and there is so much to do just for a week. But in DLR you could bump off DCA and DL in less then three days and probably visit SeaWorld or Legoland and go to their water park.
I remember when LL’s water park was LEGO Chima related

GingerGirl3

You missed the point. It’s ok, go ahead and continue...

I really think you missed the point. When someone is “spending more time with family” it’s just a thinly veiled euphemism for stepping down due to (insert scandal or incompetence here). Picture cheating congressman with his wife standing by his side. No one believes it. It’s even less believable for a female exec with no children to say it and suddenly step down from a high paying and powerful position. It’s not a judgment of her childless status and again coupled with suddenly taking a new job in a new city shows how untrue it probably was. Most high powered female execs with kids are no more likely to suddenly feel a parental urge to be with their offspring than their male counterparts but that stereotype of the mother would probably be more believed which is the double standard not this one.

the only reason disney made that site detailing a third gate was because they thought DCA would be a smash hit, which it obviously was not (and still is the red-headed stepchild of the disney parks family). between the fact that gate 2 still arguably isn’t up to their standards and city politics, i honestly believe we won’t see a third gate in our lifetimes

Now this one I take offense too. I really hate that term!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I really think you missed the point. When someone is “spending more time with family” it’s just a thinly veiled euphemism for stepping down due to (insert scandal or incompetence here). Picture cheating congressman with his wife standing by his side. No one believes it. It’s even less believable for a female exec with no children to say it and suddenly step down from a high paying and powerful position. It’s not a judgment of her childless status and again coupled with suddenly taking a new job in a new city shows how untrue it probably was. Most high powered female execs with kids are no more likely to suddenly feel a parental urge to be with their offspring than their male counterparts but that stereotype of the mother would probably be more believed which is the double standard not this one.

Now this one I take offense too. I really hate that term!
I get that point, always have. I'm WELL AWARE of the excuse being used for everything from political scandals to executive incompetence. The usage of the excuse was never at issue with me. Though I think companies (and PR fims) can come up with a better excuse at this point.

I didn't think I needed to actually write this out, but here goes. My point was in 2019 there is no reason to point out that a female executive is childless and unmarried, who cares. Same as I wouldn't care if a male executive was childless and unmarried. Its not something that really needs to be stated. If we all know that she was incompetent (and I don't think anyone believes otherwise) then just say that. "Harris who left to spend more time with family (whatever that may mean) we know was actually let go for being incompetent." Plan and simple that is a better way to say it than what was posted.

GingerGirl3

I get that point, always have. I'm WELL AWARE of the excuse being used for everything from political scandals to executive incompetence. The usage of the excuse was never at issue with me. Though I think companies (and PR fims) can come up with a better excuse at this point.

I didn't think I needed to actually write this out, but here goes. My point was in 2019 there is no reason to point out that a female executive is childless and unmarried, who cares. Same as I wouldn't care if a male executive was childless and unmarried. Its not something that really needs to be stated. If we all know that she was incompetent (and I don't think anyone believes otherwise) then just say that. "Harris who left to spend more time with family (whatever that may mean) we know was actually let go for being incompetent." Plan and simple that is a better way to say it than what was posted.

I don’t think it’s a gender thing. Mr. Bad Exec would probably have the same post here. Pointing out that there was no child to spend time with and then again the quick new job in the new city. Those are just facts. You seem to be going on about the childless thing but then moving on to the covering up excuse? The problem with truth is liability. Employers cannot really be honest these days about bad employees, even much less visible ones, so there’s no way Disney could have said she was fired for incompetence. Did they even call out the awful GoG director for his despicableness? Nope. I forget the wording but I’m sure it was not about his tweets. Let alone the PR of disparaging a woman? We do not have a culture of honestly, hence the family line.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t think it’s a gender thing. Mr. Bad Exec would probably have the same post here. Pointing out that there was no child to spend time with and then again the quick new job in the new city. Those are just facts. You seem to be going on about the childless thing but then moving on to the covering up excuse? The problem with truth is liability. Employers cannot really be honest these days about bad employees, even much less visible ones, so there’s no way Disney could have said she was fired for incompetence. Did they even call out the awful GoG director for his despicableness? Nope. I forget the wording but I’m sure it was not about his tweets. Let alone the PR of disparaging a woman? We do not have a culture of honestly, hence the family line.
In order to stave off a potential political debate happening here and the thread becoming locked, I'll just end it here. I'll message you directly if you care to have further debate on the topic.

TROR

All I'm hearing here is that women shouldn't have high executive jobs. What's wrong with you people?

Tank Man

Original Poster
All I'm hearing here is that women shouldn't have high executive jobs. What's wrong with you people?
Gender should have nothing to do with what job you have. Some jobs a certain gender is expected but that is what is expected (like how most people think of mechanics as men but women can be them to) it just matters if they want to

RollerCoaster

Both true,
But I think they could make one (if they wanted) as Universal is trying to compete with them with Water Parks and even though Volcano Bay is new, it does not beet the two WDW water parks but I wonder if they could.

You do realize we are talking about the Disneyland Resort, not Walt Disney World? There is a big difference between Central Florida and Southern California. In Orlando the weather allows a waterpark to effectively operate about 350 days a year. In Southern California the season is about 100 days, but the weather is really only ideal for about 70 days.

Summer weather in Southern California, with the exception of the occasional heat wave, is very comfortable for outdoor activities that don't involve water. That's not the case in Orlando where excessive heat and humidity make water or indoor activities almost a necessity.

To build a Disney quality waterpark it would cost more than $200 million dollars. No sane operator is going to spent that amount for a park that will only have about two months of ideal operating days.

RollerCoaster

Except you're not taking into account any of the CM parking, and the potential shortfalls there. There are plenty of times throughout the entire year where CMs get shuffled off to various offsite parking so guests can park in CM lots.

Oh, I'm taking into account the entire picture. On site parking is a luxury that isn't going to be returning to cast members ever again. There is no on-site parking even for park guests. Disney has overflow options like Anaheim Stadium and Gardenwalk.

On most operating days (let me clarify- not all) cast member parking is a non-issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom