Ditching Disney

Goofyernmost

Am I the only one that also traveled to other places besides WDW? I didn't realize that so many people ONLY went to WDW annually and no where else.
No, there are a lot of us the use or used WDW as a target, but never the entire story. WDW was just the easiest and, at the time, the least expensive entertainment destination. I would go for a week most of the time and, at the most, it would be only 4 days. I have also been to Disneyland, but again the target not the story, I explored other things while in any of those places. One of the times that I visited a Disney Park, Disneyland Paris it was one day out of 30 touring Paris, Venice, Rome, Pompeii, Barcelona, Pisa, Florence, The Tuscany area, sailed past the Rock of Gibraltar, went to the Canary Islands and then sailed on a cruise ship across the Atlantic to Fort Lauderdale. I've spent non-vacation time in Vietnam, went to a worlds fair in Osaka, went from there on the bullet train to Tokyo, been to 32 of the lower 48 plus Hawaii. During all that time I also got to WDW 48 times and other than one, always spent days exploring Florida in the process including Key West. And many other adventures.

I have to agree that I do not understand the only going to WDW and never leaving the resort year after year. Yes, I love WDW and have since my very first visit 40 years ago. That said, however, only once did I ever stay onsite for a week and honestly couldn't wait to leave. I never did that again and consider it more of a downer than a fun time.

Trauma

I remember nights where the MK was open until Midnight. The CM’s were so friendly. The place was so well maintained. Just having the time of our lives, not just watching our daughter have fun but actually loving it ourselves.

We LOVED going to Disney. We had a rule that we were not able to leave property without having our next trip booked.

It wasn’t just the rides it was just how everything came together. Not to sound hokey, but something was magic. All the little things that would add up.
When it would be 95 degrees out and your Mickey bar would melt, a CM would come running when it hit the ground, and give you another one apologizing for ice cream melting in 95 degree weather.

When you get on Peter Pan and your 5 year old Daughter looks at you and says “Daddy were flying” still brings a tear to my eye.

I have a ton of DVC points, Im lucky to have the money to go whenever I want. I wonder if you can donate your points to Make a Wish. I can’t bring myself to go back.

Even if you take the politics out of it ( I’m able to my wife not so much ) the place has just lost so much.

I don’t need to detail the changes everyone knows.

It’s no longer the most magical place on earth. It’s just a place with some rides and resorts.

I know they won’t be, but the next CEO really needs to be a game changer. Someone who cares enough to figure out what made the place special and how to bring it back.

It would take someone who truly cares more about the customers than the next earnings call.

That’s all a pipe dream but I would be happy to spend whatever they would charge, if they just brought old Disney back.

jimbojones

I have been to Disney 30 times in my life, I am choosing to ditch disney too. Not kid friendly anymore, too expensive, horrible bang for your buck, it's not worth it anymore. It honestly was a horrible experience when I took my kids in February. I think this is front page worthy because disney is only good for the rubes who think disney is life and disney knows that.
epcot after about 5pm is not a good place for little kids anymore, too many drunks

Smugpugmug

So I still go to Disney and enjoy it, but I definitely agree with the sentiment that it isn't as good as it once was. I find myself in the middle these days - not a "pixie duster" and not a "Disney hater". I'm critical but still love the parks. I am finding it hard to ignore the biggest issues in my eyes such as maintenance of rides and the awful Genie+/ILL system. With that said, I totally get your decision even though I'm not ready to make that step myself. I am skipping WDW next year to go to Japan (with some TDR added in but not as the focus). In 2025, I'll 100% be checking out Epic Universe.

If you hate early starts, big crowds and advanced reservations... I've got some bad news for you about the hot spots in Europe.
That was exactly what I thought too. For some tourist attractions, if you don't buy your tickets ahead of time or get there early, you will be waiting in VERY long lines. Also the crowds at some places remind me of Disney.

Am I the only one that also traveled to other places besides WDW? I didn't realize that so many people ONLY went to WDW annually and no where else.
I'm a member of a few Disney Facebook groups and there are A LOT of people who mention that WDW is the only place they vacation to. They won't even go to Disneyland. The international parks are 100% out of the question. I don't care where people choose to go on vacation but personally I could not limit myself like that. There is so much to see and experience in this world.

EPCOTCenterLover

Original Poster
Why bother with the diatribe? It upsets you more than a lot of us, especially when you know what to expect. If you're into expectation setting, please listen to the plans being discussed for Epic Universe admission you'll find them to be strangely familiar.
No, I'm not upset at all, actually. I LOVE Disney Parks, but it's time for something new And you're right, I should have posted it somewhere else other than News and Rumors. I just wasn't thinking.

dreday3

This is worthy of a discussion maybe in the general forum

Curious how many are planning to scale back their Disney trips and if so why. I have a feeling many are going to say similar reasons (plural)

No offense, but I'm pretty sure there are about 8,000 threads (rough estimate) that either started as or devolved into a discussion about all the people who aren't going to Disney anymore, why they aren't going to Disney anymore and where they are going instead.

Everyone is free to post what they want, but let's not pretend this is a new topic. 😄

StarshipDisney

Thanks for posting.

We went in December 2022 and can't blame you a bit. Disney really sucked for us on that trip for many reasons and currently no plans to go back anytime soon. The magic is dead, and it is yet to been seen if it ever comes back again.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
No, I'm not upset at all, actually. I LOVE Disney Parks, but it's time for something new And you're right, I should have posted it somewhere else other than News and Rumors. I just wasn't thinking.

There's plenty of other stuff out there in the world besides Disney, but its not all that and a bag of chips. For popular locations, you'll find lots of crowds, little gatekeeping mechanisms, and yes of course higher prices than you can obtain at home.

the_rich

There's plenty of other stuff out there in the world besides Disney, but its not all that and a bag of chips. For popular locations, you'll find lots of crowds, little gatekeeping mechanisms, and yes of course higher prices than you can obtain at home.
100 percent. My mother and sister took a trip to beaches turks and Caicos in 2016. We had been there in May 2001 and it was $1300 a person. In 2016 it was $5000 a person. Talk about expensive, I could do a week in a deluxe at both wdw and dl for less.

Eta: I just checked now and they want $6500 a person before flights for a week. Though they are then offering 55% off the room rate. Guess their bookings are slow too.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

I'm a member of a few Disney Facebook groups and there are A LOT of people who mention that WDW is the only place they vacation to. They won't even go to Disneyland. The international parks are 100% out of the question. I don't care where people choose to go on vacation but personally I could not limit myself like that. There is so much to see and experience in this world.
If someone is happy just going to WDW, then great for them. I just find it strange that they feel so let down when they finally have had their fill of it. I wonder if anyone would get that emotional about any other destination. Or would they just think "maybe we should try somewhere else"?

eliza61nyc

I'm sorry but this kind of comment always kills me..😅

what do you mean "and," he's sharing his opinion on a discussion board, there's no "and" required
It's in the news section, just trying to figure out how this is "news"
Sort of like that wdw site that shall not be named

FutureCEO

These should be combined into one thread rather than make multiple threads.

I also give you my local movie theater for those who complain about snack prices

IMG_20230617_140307.jpgIMG_20230617_135917.jpgIMG_20230617_111142.jpg

Last edited:

Smugpugmug

If someone is happy just going to WDW, then great for them. I just find it strange that they feel so let down when they finally have had their fill of it. I wonder if anyone would get that emotional about any other destination. Or would they just think "maybe we should try somewhere else"?
I agree in that it's fine for people to just go to WDW. Like I said, I don't care what people spend their vacation dollars on.

Now that you mention it, I don't notice people declaring that they're "done" with a destination other than Disney. I see it on those FB groups I'm in too.

Stripes

We had a great time at WDW earlier this year. I did have a few gripes but it seems most will be resolved in the near future (see below). But, in any case, we’ll be visiting Disneyland instead for the foreseeable future.

The world is much bigger than Disney and it’s good to diversify your vacations. For our family, Disney vacations are our favorite vacations but we still change things up every year. (We go to Disney biennially.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom