Ditching Disney

Nubs70

Here’s the question no one ever seems able to answer. What ‘magic’ is gone? Can you define the ‘magic’? Because from all I read, it just feels like nostalgia for what once was rather than the glory of what used to be.
1. The ease of booking the vacation.
2. Magical Express - the idea that once bags are cheked in at airport of origin, you don't see them until they show up in room.
3. Things are clean and in good repair.
4. The feeling that one is getting value for what price is paid.
5. In general, it was an easy vacation that was a value.

Drdcm

Here’s the question no one ever seems able to answer. What ‘magic’ is gone? Can you define the ‘magic’? Because from all I read, it just feels like nostalgia for what once was rather than the glory of what used to be.
The state of feeling wonder and awe? I don’t think you really wanted a personal definition though. I think you just wanted to be contrary.

haveyoumetmark

Funny to see people act like Disney has a problem on their hands with people not going back while also complaining that it's too crowded all in the same breath. WDW is so busy, they won't miss you I fear.

It'll always be a super-fun, nostalgic destination and a must-visit for anyone interested in themed entertainment. Of course it's very expensive (this is not a problem unique to Disney), and there are plenty of other interesting places to visit on Earth. Not to mention, there's always DLR, which packs the same number and similar kinds of attractions in 2 parks.

Dutch Inn '76

Yeah I don't get that either. The Magic Kingdom is as good as it's ever been. Same for Disneyland and Animal Kingdom.

Epcot is seriously diminished, and I also miss the old Hollywood Studios, but I don't think that's what they're talking about.
I get it that you might not like the rising prices (I'm not crazy about them either). But the "magic" hasn't changed at the MK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dutch Inn '76

For a little perspective, we went to a regional amusement park just yesterday, primarily to see a concert there. We had to pay $60 admission per person. This place wasn't worth a $20 ticket. Half the rides were broken, and the ones that were open were glorified fair rides.

GladToBeHear

Yeah I don't get that either. The Magic Kingdom is as good as it's ever been. Same for Disneyland and Animal Kingdom.

Epcot is seriously diminished, and I also miss the old Hollywood Studios, but I don't think that's what they're talking about.
I get it that you might not like the rising prices (I'm not crazy about them either). But the "magic" hasn't changed at the MK.
Disagree. I've been going to the Florida parks since the late 70's and they're all very much in decline in lots of ways. Just because there's more now -- doesn't make it better. Quality > quantity. I'll agree on Disneyland though. Visited with my family a few years ago and was blown away. Best park in the US by far.

jaklgreen

epcot after about 5pm is not a good place for little kids anymore, too many drunks
I spend at least 3-4 weeks a year at WDW as a DVC member. And I primarily hang out at Epcot. The whole "the park is filled with drunks" is a gross over exaggeration. I spend around 2 weeks just during the F&WF and the only time that there are a bunch of people drinking is when the locals show up on the weekends. They are mostly just annoying by taking up the whole walkways, especially around the UK area. They are mostly just having fun but not causing any issues. During the week it is just like any other park.

Chi84

Premium Member
I spend at least 3-4 weeks a year at WDW as a DVC member. And I primarily hang out at Epcot. The whole "the park is filled with drunks" is a gross over exaggeration. I spend around 2 weeks just during the F&WF and the only time that there are a bunch of people drinking is when the locals show up on the weekends. They are mostly just annoying by taking up the whole walkways, especially around the UK area. They are mostly just having fun but not causing any issues. During the week it is just like any other park.
I agree. Of all the nonsense you read here, “Epcot is full of drunks” is the most exaggerated.

DisneyHead123

I think “magic” is far too subjective of a term, and realistically, probably means “the dopamine buzz that comes with novelty and wears off with familiarity” in many cases. I feel like discussing quality, value, customer satisfaction, etc., make more sense.

TheIceBaron

Honestly everyone is only on this forum because they are park fans and want to either complain, speculate about new projects, or to actually get WDW news.

Here they are all related because people are complaining they can’t even speculate on new projects because no news has really come out about imminent plans to build more experiences. OP would likely not ditch WDW if they actually had a bunch of new experiences down the pipeline instead of only one lame retheme of a classic attraction to look forward to.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I’m sure Disney Will suffer badly from your departure.

Well I mean since his or her announcement, Disney is down by $1 a share.

Screenshot_20230618_213528_Chrome.jpg

bmr1591

1. The ease of booking the vacation.
2. Magical Express - the idea that once bags are cheked in at airport of origin, you don't see them until they show up in room.
3. Things are clean and in good repair.
4. The feeling that one is getting value for what price is paid.
5. In general, it was an easy vacation that was a value.

1. It’s never been easier than today to book. In fact, I’d argue most complaining about Disney tech would be complaining I’d they’d never shifted toward a more online booking process through Genie+, etc. We’d ask why they’re still living in the 90s.

2. Completely understandable. From what I read, this was less a Disney decision and more of a contractor decision.

3. Fair complaint.

4. Completely fair.

5. This feels subjective. My wife and I see Disney as easy to navigate. That doesn’t mean it’s not difficult to others, but it can’t be what’s missing.

The state of feeling wonder and awe? I don’t think you really wanted a personal definition though. I think you just wanted to be contrary.

No, I’m genuinely interested. Unfortunately, your answer screams of nostalgia instead of tangible things one could fix. That’s the problem. People scream of Disney losing their magic then give answers like this, which if Disney were on here reading, wouldn’t have the slightest clue how to execute on.

MagicRat

I can’t believe I am asking this but where in Europe is one traveling to that makes it cheap? How is it not a difficult planning for trip? I get planning a trip to the local lake via AirBnb being a better deal but my sandwich only lunch at a fastfood place was $8.

Trip anywhere you want but the money thing is a grab.

Smugpugmug

I can’t believe I am asking this but where in Europe is one traveling to that makes it cheap? How is it not a difficult planning for trip? I get planning a trip to the local lake via AirBnb being a better deal but my sandwich only lunch at a fastfood place was $8.

Trip anywhere you want but the money thing is a grab.
I've done trips to the Czech Republic and Bulgaria that were ridiculously cheap, but I am pretty sure when people talk about trips to Europe, they're not referring to Eastern Europe. Places like France and Italy can be quite expensive.

MagicRat

One could also stay at DVC Vero for two weeks in a three bedroom cottage on the beach for less than $2000. I have done it.

I would not do this but you can also stay at an All Star for $150 a night and eat quick service.

Again an AirBnB at your local lake is your best route for a cheap trip. I might worry about Cousin Eddie next door though,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom