Ditching Disney

jloucks

You didn't quite get the point. Permit me to spell it for you (not literally).

15-20 years ago, we were complaining about a return to the Disney of the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Today we are complaining about a return to the Disney of the early 2000s and the rebound of investment after the 08 collapse.

I get it. I see the declining standards. But I've seen them for so long, that now people are pining for a return to the way things were when we were also complaining about a return to the way things were.

The truth is that even in light of their declining standards, Disney still has the highest standards and quality in the industry, but we won't realize that for another decade or two.
...when it is even poopier in 2050? :p

brb1006

This is a long post, and I hope it makes sense.
Something that I wonder is how much social media and where/how the public gets information has impacted the way people see the parks. Before I explain, let me say that there are definite problems/flaws within Disney and this is not at all a post where I am not placing any blame on Disney. And nothing about this is intended to be political.

Pre-social media, Disney had a way of controlling what the average Guest saw. The nostalgia that people long for is their memories of perfection from the Disney planning videos or other advertisements. The videos that show Mickey & Minnie running through open fields or the interviews with families talking about how perfect a Disney vacation is. There is a "magic" there that we remember and want back.
View attachment 725208View attachment 725209
I remember one of my Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Videos that I still own (specifically the 2001 video for the "100 Years of Magic Celebration") featured Captain Hook leading a group of children around Seven Seas Lagoon near a sandy area. That same video also featured Pinocchio and other group of Disney Characters freely playing and interacting more with children and guests. Which WDW used to actually allow compared to nowadays.

They even made a version of the 100 Years of Magic video towards Adults and Grandparents.

I used to watch the Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Videos (and the "Disney Sing Along Songs Disneyland Days" VHS Tape) religiously as a kid.

Last edited:

brb1006

Cruise ships you stay on property and are transported around from your hotel and have all day entertainment.

You can compare WDW to any destination that has...
  • Shows
  • Costumed Characters

I have said this several times before over the last decade, but when you compare Six Flags to WDW, Six Flags wins in several criteria. Maybe not all. Maybe not overall. But in several ways Six Flags is superior to WDW.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on that. Six Flags Looney Tunes stage shows is a complete joke compared to WDW (Disney Parks in general). Their "We Got The Beat" show has been running at the parks since 2003.

Sure they have others shows, but it's usually run seasonally.

Also the Looney Tunes doesn't translate well when it comes to live entertainment compared to Peanuts, Disney, and any character/IP licensed or owned at the Universal Parks.

GladToBeHear

You didn't quite get the point. Permit me to spell it for you (not literally).

15-20 years ago, we were complaining about a return to the Disney of the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Today we are complaining about a return to the Disney of the early 2000s and the rebound of investment after the 08 collapse.

I get it. I see the declining standards. But I've seen them for so long, that now people are pining for a return to the way things were when we were also complaining about a return to the way things were.

The truth is that even in light of their declining standards, Disney still has the highest standards and quality in the industry, but we won't realize that for another decade or two.
No. I got your point.

Goofyernmost

To me this is when WDW was at it's top. Not only because of what was there to do, but they also put out their best vacation video. I suppose a small amount could be my unrequited love for Erin. In 2008 I took my family, daughters, their husbands and my grandchildren to WDW. To prepare them (oldest at the time was 8) they watched this video over and over again. (Yes, I watched it with them. Great Fun)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom