Disregard

I am Timmy

I'm just thankful that this isn't paired with a sharknado. That would be truly catastrophic. Sharguanado.
Fun fact - my family was in San Diego for comic con the year the first Sharknado came out. Had never heard of it. Reading the local newspaper for the week, checking the weather while we were there. Not kidding, a sharknado was forecast on that Wednesday. In the real weather section. We were all like wha? Started looking through the paper for some explanation, or to let readers know it was a joke. Nada. Got to the con, saw large ads for the movie, started asking questions. Turns out, the paper was getting in on the PR for it's homegrown California movie to coincide with comic con. And no sharks were harmed in the making of that movie - hope the iguanas are as lucky. Oh, and also felt stupid for thinking that maybe that was some sort of Cali slang for a weather pattern. The end.

wvdisneyfamily

This whole thread...😂😂😂
The new Timon and Pumba safety cards will be about the Frozen iguana crisis and what steps to take to protect yourself.
There may also be an informational pamphlet about how the frozen iguanas are not abandoned banshees so don't try to"readopt" them...

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
yW6wEbG.jpg

PUSH

Fun fact - my family was in San Diego for comic con the year the first Sharknado came out. Had never heard of it. Reading the local newspaper for the week, checking the weather while we were there. Not kidding, a sharknado was forecast on that Wednesday. In the real weather section. We were all like wha? Started looking through the paper for some explanation, or to let readers know it was a joke. Nada. Got to the con, saw large ads for the movie, started asking questions. Turns out, the paper was getting in on the PR for it's homegrown California movie to coincide with comic con. And no sharks were harmed in the making of that movie - hope the iguanas are as lucky. Oh, and also felt stupid for thinking that maybe that was some sort of Cali slang for a weather pattern. The end.
But it is a real weather pattern.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Don't let the title of this thread fool you into thinking I've fallen off the wagon and am posting nonsensical rubbish once again. This is seriously happening, and everyone currently at WDW, or who will be at WDW over the next several days needs to be aware.

Due to recent colder than normal temperatures in the state of Florida, frozen iguanas have been falling out of trees over the past week.
www.cnn.com/2018/01/05/weather/iguana-cold-florida-bomb-cyclone-trnd/index.html
http://time.com/5091036/frozen-iguanas-florida/
https://www.sciencealert.com/iguana...n-south-florida-but-please-don-t-pick-them-up

Now, being a nature lover myself, my first concern was for the iguana's safety. Are they dying? Is this an iguanapocalypse wiping the species completely outta existence in Florida? Nay. They are not dying or being wiped out. They are simply in a frozen, immobilized state caused by the cold temperatures which they are not accustomed to. The fall does not harm them, as their bodies are frozen, and they will thaw out in due time and return to being healthy, active iguanas doing healthy, active iguana things such as feeding, nesting, roaming, and advertising car insurance. Okay, maybe that last one was a gecko, but still...

So the iguanas will be fine in all of this. But as vacationers or locals in the state of Florida...will we be fine? This is where it becomes important to take a few safety precautions if you are visiting any of the parks, or any outdoor areas, for that matter, in the state of Florida over the coming days. Before even thinking about canceling that upcoming WDW vacation of yours due to fear of being clobbered on the head unexpectedly by falling lizard, keep in mind there are some things you can do to protect you and your family from this phenomenon, and keep any injuries to a minimum.

1. Consider Bringing Umbrella Hats
View attachment 255035
Not only do these stylish wearable garbs for the noggin protect you and your family from the glaring Florida sun, mid-afternoon rain showers, and the chance of making any new friends, but they can also prevent head injury in the event you are pelted with falling iguana. The texture of the umbrella also provides a nice break in the fall for the iguana, so that the impact to the ground isn't so jarring. Sure, other park guests may think you look ridiculous and your kids may not speak to you over the duration of your trip, but safety comes with sacrifice.

2. Don't Look Up. Ever.
View attachment 255036
A bump on the top of the head by a falling iguana is annoying but treatable. However, an injury to an eye, nose, or mouth could be a lot more costly and catastrophic. That is why it's important to always look straightforward or down while outside, and never ever look up until this iguana fiasco subsides. For nighttime fireworks or any other spectacle that requires you to look up, designate the family member with the least attractive face to look up periodically and describe in detail to the other family members what's happening in the show. That way, if he / she gets clonked with falling iguana, at least it will be less of a noticeable facial alteration.

3. ALWAYS Look Up
View attachment 255038
Now that I think about it, it's probably better if you do, in fact, look constantly upward for as long as possible. Logically, if you see the falling iguana before it hits you, that gives you time to maneuver and avoid injury of any kind. So disregard tip #2 and always keep your eyes toward the sky whenever outdoors at WDW. The people you bump into or trip over will understand, as they most likely will be doing exactly the same (if they're smart).

4. Use MDE's New Iguana App ("The Iguanapp")
View attachment 255040
Due to recent concerns over falling iguanas and guest safety, you can now access iguana alerts, updates, and other safety information via MDE. This addition to the popular MDE app will not only keep you advised on current iguana conditions, but will also remind you that Peter Pan's Flight's wait time is always ridiculously long, no matter the time of day.

5. Keep Children Covered To Avoid Bites From Iguanas On The Ground
View attachment 255043
Finally, while I've mentioned some helpful tidbits on how to protect you from iguanas as they are falling...what about the ones already on the ground? Children may see the immobiled lizards laying lifeless on the pavement and assume they are a toy or a frozen treat or a weapon to be used later on a sibling. But they are NOT! As mentioned earlier, these animals are not dead, only temporarily disabled due to the cold. If they are slowly coming back to consciousness, and your little Prince or Princess happens to pick one up....an unexpected and painful bite to the arm, hand, or face could occur. The easy precautionary action to take against this would simply be to warn your children not to touch or play with any iguanas they see. However, given that it's 2018, and correcting children in any way at WDW is so 1980's, why not take the more practical approach and cover them from head to toe so no exposed skin can be susceptible to injury. Iguanas don't like the taste of fluffy coats or winter gloves, that's why you don't see them in Antarctica. So keep your little ones covered for a worry-free day at the parks.

So there you have it. I hope these bits of knowledge have helped convince you to not cancel your trip during these troubling times. We will get through this. Safe travels!

Um, the GEICO gecko is not an iguana.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom