Disneyworld Alone

fosse76

Has anyone gone by themselves? I went last week with my boyfriend and only really enjoyed my self when we split and went our own separate ways...I was completely unencoumbered and was able to do what I wanted when I wanted. I am thinking of going again in September, but I am considwring going alone. Now I'm not the kind to feel embarassed going to restaurants or movies or Broadway shows alone, but a week in Disney has me a little anxious. Just curious if anyone has done this.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
One of the nicer hotels by yourself? Heaven.

Gret as a couple's getaway too, but really if you're stressed out by life in general, it's wonderful to just crash into in a big comfy bed and find mickey shaped everything waiting for you and Mousekeeping leaving you towel animals. Watch me some zebras or the ducks in the by the geyser.. yup, i'm good.

Lodge life is nice.

Anywho, in the parks, alone I tend to not spend much time on rides. Somtimes I'll ride the TTA around in circles because it brings me inner peace, but aside from that I mostly just wander around taking photos, snacking, checking the progress of various projects, doing random stuff for work, people watch a little bit, and then maybe watch a few sparkley lights.

With friends i'm more apt to be touristy and wait in lines for rides, meet the characters, be running around from FP to FP.

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
On my last trip I had the opportunity to spend a day alone. It was amazing. I covered so much ground that day. I am now seriously considering planning a solo trip for the spring. I am sure staying in the hotel by myself would be odd (even though I lived alone for many years), but I spend so little time there on a normal trip anyways I don't think I would notice much.

The only thing I didn't do on my solo day was eat at a TS restaurant. I take myself out to dinner at home all the time so it probably wouldn't bother me too much.

Upvote 0

kshark

i dont know why but i never even considered taking a day trip by myself... after reading everyones stories i think ill be taking a trip very soon! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

MousDad

Love It Both Ways

We go as a family (Me, wife, 2 kids) about once every 2-3 years. Those trips are great, but are exclusively kid-centered. I focus on doing mostly only what they would be interested in.

This past October, I took the first of what I plan to be annual solo trips. I went for 3 days/2 nights. I was able to take everything I miss in my family trips at all 4 parks in 3 days. That was going at a pretty brisk pace. My next solo trip will probably be more relaxed.

Going solo is very fun. You get to really take things in. It is also enjoyable striking up conversations with CMs and other guests.

[Funny story: I always take chewing gum wherever I go. Last solo trip, I had one lady in the Imagination line who saw me chewing gum. She stopped me dead in my tracks with a very loud "WHERE'D YOU GET THAT GUM?" and started practically begging me for a piece. (You can't buy it anywhere in the parks, I think.) She even offered to pay me for it. So I pulled an open pack out of my backpack and gave it to her. She devoured it on the spot. Her husband was quite embarrassed.]

I also enjoyed all the evil, jealous stares I was getting from exasperated Dads wrestling with worn out kids. I felt their pain.

One thing that surprised me going solo, especially after reading about so many who do it on the boards: I literally never saw another solo person the entire time I was there. It does make you feel somewhat - shall we say - strange, but I'm sure there were more out there I didn't notice.

We go as a family in June - I'm looking forward to that too.

Upvote 0

EPCOT.nut

This past October, I took the first of what I plan to be annual solo trips. I went for 3 days/2 nights. I was able to take everything I miss in my family trips at all 4 parks in 3 days. That was going at a pretty brisk pace. My next solo trip will probably be more relaxed.

Was your family jealous that you went to WDW without them? :lol:

Upvote 0

MousDad

Was your family jealous that you went to WDW without them? :lol:

Don't ask, don't tell. :zipit:

Just kidding. Actually, no. My wife is not the big Disney fan I am, although she does enjoy going every couple years. My kids are still too young for it to register with them. Plus I have one who absolutely will not fly, so that rules out a weekend trip for him.

Thankfully, I have a great wife who has no problem with it. (Although, I'm not sure what she says about my Disney obsession behind my back. :lookaroun)

You should see me trying to find souvenirs for the kids that won't give away I've been to DW. (Last time it was Star Wars Potato Heads from DHS.)

Upvote 0

momofnine

A trip to Disneyworld alone?...... I can't even get to the bathroom alone! :ROFLOL: But this Dec. my DH and I are going to go by ourselves...
I guess that will be the closest I will get to going alone.:shrug:

Upvote 0

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I spent a day alone last month at Epcot and DHS. I'd never been by myself in any of the parks on my 100+ previous trips except for possibly when I was in a bathroom stall. :lol:

I HIGHLY recommend it, even for a day.

You get to do what you want to do, at your own pace, while stopping to enjoy things that you might not normally get to savor when you've got others in your party. CM's will take pictures of you with the characters or in front of various monuments - All you have to do is ask. You can ride only rides that you love and even do them multiple times if you'd like.

It's all up to you!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Has anyone gone by themselves? I went last week with my boyfriend and only really enjoyed my self when we split and went our own separate ways...I was completely unencoumbered and was able to do what I wanted when I wanted. I am thinking of going again in September, but I am considwring going alone. Now I'm not the kind to feel embarassed going to restaurants or movies or Broadway shows alone, but a week in Disney has me a little anxious. Just curious if anyone has done this.

I go by myself all the time. The only thing that I will not do by myself is eat at an all you care to eat table service, such as Liberate Your Appitite or Ohana. A "get your own food" buffet is fine, but it's just something about sitting at a table alone and having the wait staff bring you huge trays of food that I find unsettleing. Sort of makes me want to ask for a "wafer thin mint" (who gets that refrence)

Otherwise, any shows, dining, events, etc is just fine by myself. It's nice to be able to just do what I want, at the pace I want, and make my own plans. Don't get me wrong, going with my kids or with friends is also a load of fun, but I also appreciate the solo trips.

-dave

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I don't think I would have done a solo trip if I wasn't already used to being "solo" in some form or another. The only reason I'm going by myself this trip is that DS will be spending the whole of spring break with his dad this year. I guess, too, that since we have joint custody, I am already used to sleeping alone or in an empty house, so that's no problem either :).

Interesting.

Same story is what started my solo trips. I made a number of trips with my ex-wife and kids and never considered going alone or even extending business trips for a few days when I was married. Now, if I am in the Orlando area on business, I extend the trip a few days for myself. Lucky for me we are still on friendly terms and we adjust our joint custudy schedles easily.

-dave

Upvote 0

MousDad

I'm happily married and loved going by myself for a weekend. I got over the "weirdness" of it along time ago. I have married male friends/relatives who take weekends golfing, skiing, hunting, etc. without their spouses all the time. This is no different to me. It's what I'm interested in.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I'm happily married and loved going by myself for a weekend. I got over the "weirdness" of it along time ago. I have married male friends/relatives who take weekends golfing, skiing, hunting, etc. without their spouses all the time. This is no different to me. It's what I'm interested in.

Just to clarify, when I was married I would do the hunting weekend or gold weekend, but that was something my wife had no interest in. She like Disney as well, so me going alone and leaving her with the kids would not have been a wise idea. But then a little hindsight says maybe it would have been. :)

-dave

Upvote 0

H20Babie

My ex didn't really "get" Disney. He had been once before with my family when we were engaged, once on our honeymoon, and then once after our son was born. He was more of a "universal" fan :brick:

I think he tolerated it on my behalf :lol:

Upvote 0

marinoalulema

Account Suspended
going solo-

I have been to wdw apx 30 times, the best time I ever had is when I went alone for 5 days.
I highly recommend it to any and every one.
The dining staff was wonderful in every restuarant, especially in Liberty Tree Tavern with Minnie and friends

The best time I had was sitting on a bench, did not matter which park, just sit there and people watch

I had many character experiences, they seem to love people sitting alone. They either snuck up behind me and sat down with me and had a little fun

Upvote 0

Disney_Belle

I went for a week by myself in May 2005 and it was a WONDERFUL vacation. I was nervous at first, but you dont have to answer anyone. Do what you want, WHEN you want. Ride Its a Small World as many times as you want. Avoid attractions you really could do without. The only awkward thing was eating lunches and such by myself. But I got over it quickly. And if you truly feel awkward, just grab lunch at the hotel food court and head up to your room. Usually I would go back to my hotel around 2pm, grab lunch and head up to my room, eat and rest for a bit, then head out at night. It was one of the greatest vacations ever!!! I would highly recommend it :)

Upvote 0

Montyboy

Interesting.

Same story is what started my solo trips. I made a number of trips with my ex-wife and kids and never considered going alone or even extending business trips for a few days when I was married. Now, if I am in the Orlando area on business, I extend the trip a few days for myself. Lucky for me we are still on friendly terms and we adjust our joint custudy schedles easily.

-dave

Do your best to stay on good terms with your ex! The best reason is that the police always question the ex-spouse first. Another reason is that, overall, it will make your life easier with the kids.

When dealing with my ex-wife, I take every opportunity to keep my mouth shut.

Upvote 0

mike_collins

Before we were married, my wife worked at WDW. So, when I'm come to Orlando to visit, I'd often have 5-6 hours of time alone at the parks while I waited for her to finish her shift.

These were some of the best times I've had there because I could set my own schedule and take advantage of Single Rider Lines whenever possible.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

My ex didn't really "get" Disney. He had been once before with my family when we were engaged, once on our honeymoon, and then once after our son was born. He was more of a "universal" fan :brick:

I think he tolerated it on my behalf :lol:

My ex claims to be a Disney fan. She likes it, but I don't think she is quite at the level I am (that may be a good or bad thing). Actualy one of her comments when she was leaving was something like "WDW is about the only thing we have in common" Of course I have been twice alone, once with the kids, once with the kids on a land and sea, and once with friends since the divorce. (and have a solo and a week with the kids in the next 2 months). She has gone for single 4 day trip with the kids :) interesting how things work out sometimes.

-dave

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom