Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

LSLS

I'm not 100% they don't go streaming with these 2 (Disney +, not a chance). I think a ton is going to hinge on how Trolls does. If Trolls brings in more money than they were expecting from the box office, you could see this become a possibility. But I do think they watch what happens with Trolls pretty closely (on top of monitoring how Onward does).

Slpy3270

Has anyone noticed that the first two seasons of the 1990 Zorro series were never added to Disney+ last month? I'm wondering if Zorro Productions didn't sign off on it (Disney technically owns it through 21CF but ZP has licensing rights to it).

BrianLo

A few quotes from Iger

"There are some we’ve decided to put on Disney+. We already announced one, Artemis Fowl, that would have been released in theaters. Others we’ve simply delayed," Iger informed Barron's.

"In terms of movies going ahead after Artemis, there may be a few more that we end up putting directly onto Disney+, but for the most part, a lot of the big tentpole Disney films, we’ll simply wait for slots. In some cases, we’ve announced new ones already, but later on in the calendar."

Cue the speculation, but it seems like Onward will have been the one-off.

The one and only Ivan seems like the only other remote possibility (even though it is currently dated).

Everything else doesn't seem very 'on brand'. The Personal History of David Copperfield looks reasonably family appropriate. But I don't think Fox Searchlight flicks are exactly what they are going for on the Disney+ label.

I wish Disney+ and Hulu were just integrated into one service.

BrianLo

I just don’t see how that is possible with FX and Fox catalog offerings. Disney+ doesn’t exactly scream Rocky Horror, Always Sunny, and Die Hard.

I mostly say that because we (Canada) don't have Hulu! It would be nice if both services were bundled for us too.

Not getting rid of the "brand of Hulu", but better incorporating access to them in a single platform.

Tony Perkis

I mostly say that because we (Canada) don't have Hulu! It would be nice if both services were bundled for us too.
Ah, very different scenario compared to the US. That I get. I would assume the combined services still wouldn’t solve the issue due to regional licensing arrangements, however.

That said, I think Disney actually has the right idea to have Hulu be the FX and Fox counter-programming hub. Rated PG-13/R content needs to be maintained, expanded, and offered a legitimate home. Disney+ would neuter that.

BrianLo

Ah, very different scenario compared to the US. That I get. I would assume the combined services still wouldn’t solve the issue due to regional licensing arrangements, however.

That said, I think Disney actually has the right idea to have Hulu be the FX and Fox counter-programming hub. Rated PG-13/R content needs to be maintained, expanded, and offered a legitimate home. Disney+ would neuter that.

That's a good way of looking at it. The separate service decreases the odds of them folding away their mature content.

FX content and Searchlight I feel like are the too bright spots from their acquisition - and thus far my market is not seeing that. Which is annoying. Even if it is splayed over multiple other different streaming platforms.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Not getting rid of the "brand of Hulu", but better incorporating access to them in a single platform.

Last quarterly call, Iger made it clear that they plan to go international with Hulu.

Disney Studios : Touchstone :: Disney Plus : Hulu

Tony Perkis

That's a good way of looking at it. The separate service decreases the odds of them folding away their mature content.

FX content and Searchlight I feel like are the too bright spots from their acquisition - and thus far my market is not seeing that. Which is annoying. Even if it is splayed over multiple other different streaming platforms.
Agreed. The prizes from 20th Century Fox were the Alien, Deadpool, Avatar (for some reason), X-Men, Fantastic Four, and The Simpsons, most which need some sort of revamping.

FX and FXX are two of the best television programming providers outside of HBO (and maybe AMC, since I think Mad Men, Halt and Catch Fire, Better Call Saul, and Breaking Bad are some of the best shows ever made), and Searchlight is a good low-to-mid budget production house/studio where creative risks are encouraged (and usually awarded during Oscar runs).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom