Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

I don't know how one does an analysis of the Disney+ and Hulu brands and the pros and cons of merging them without referencing Star. But he did it. Article linked here for its stats...

Tha Realest

It seems like the ~$10 Bn check that may come due at the end of the year may not the be only costly outcome of Disney’s involvement with Hulu.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It seems like the ~$10 Bn check that may come due at the end of the year may not the be only costly outcome of Disney’s involvement with Hulu.

I can't see that going anywhere, if it does that will lead to other dual distributors/providers like Comcast getting hit.

Dranth

Worth keeping an eye on but a pretty weak case when the judge already pointed out the plaintiff’s main complaint about Disney mandating providers carry ESPN as part of the deal for Disney content doesn’t violate antitrust laws.

doctornick

I can't see that going anywhere, if it does that will lead to other dual distributors/providers like Comcast getting hit.

What immediate sprung to mind to me was how Comcast kept (previously named) Comcast Sports Net off of satellite providers in Philadelphia which helped Comcast cable systems maintain a dominant market share there. That strikes me as a way worse abuse of controlling both content and distribution than anything Disney has done with ESPN

Dranth

I've seen it done better in Minecraft.
No, you haven't. Not anything that compares apples to apples anyway as there has been no live, real-time tracking and rendering of an NFL game in Minecraft unless I am missing something.

Hyperbole and your questionable taste in computer graphics aside, the main problem was the tracking of the ball and some of the collision detection. Both things they can work on if it is something they wanted to do more of in the future. Basically, not bad for a first attempt but certainly room for improvement.

Last edited:

MoonRakerSCM

Just cancelled the subscription. Didn't realize I had payed for the annual so I still have it until March. That'll ease the pain for my parents who I share the account with (if Disney doesn't shut that down ~Jan 1st or something).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom